'Apple Glass' could display comparison information for shoppers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 22

If you can't decide between two items in a store, you may be able to hold them side by side and have "Apple Glass" display a rundown of the benefits of each.

"Apple Glass" may enable product comparison features

We've all stood in supermarkets trying to do unit pricing, figuring out whether the larger pack is actually better value than the smaller one. It's in the interests of all retailers to make that comparison at least hard enough that we don't bother, and preferably to make it more likely for us to buy whichever costs more.

Now just wait a minute, says Apple. In a newly revealed patent application, Apple proposes a system where a device like "Apple Glass" could step in to help.

"Product Comparison Techniques," credited to Golnaz Abdollahian and Earl M. Olsen, points out that sometimes key information is simply not there. This can be because of food standards issues, or it can just be that the cooking instructions, for instance, are on the part of the packaging you can't see without opening the pack.

"Comparing information about two similar products may require piecing together information from disparate labeling on the respective product packages," says Apple. "Sometimes, more detailed information about the product are not physically available on the product packaging (e.g., ratings or instructions for use)."

Consequently, Apple is proposing a way of "providing product information." Hold two items close enough together, and that movement will trigger "Apple Glass" to find and display information.

"The appearance of a first product and a second product is detected within a field of view of one or more image sensors," continues Apple. "If the movement of the first product or the second product relative to one another causes the first product to come within a threshold distance of the second product, then comparison information is displayed at a location at least partially between the first product and the second product."

"Apple Glass" could display pop-up details about one product, or a comparison between two

Say you're faced with two or more items that are extraordinarily similar -- for instance, the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone-12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. "Apple Glass" could display a specification sheet, a rundown chart, or even a Top Trumps-style comparison listing.

Abdollahian has previously worked on how to position virtual objects, such as this kind of list, next to real-world items. And Olsen has prior work on using digital assistants to help navigate through AR and CGR environments.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I hate that Apple Glass mock-up photo. Our eyes are not dual displays! The same scene would be projected to both eyes.
    SpamSandwichfastasleepGilliam_BatesRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I can see retailers trying to make such comparisons even harder than they are now.  I remember a few years ago I was in Walmart recording prices on my Palm when an employee approached and asked what I was doing.  When I answered that I was recording the prices for comparison, she said, "We'd prefer people didn't compare our prices to our competitors."

But then she walked away without taking further action.  I'm reasonably certain she thought I was working for a competitor, but it was still amusing.  I kept on recording the prices in which I was interested and I wasn't bothered again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    I hate that Apple Glass mock-up photo. Our eyes are not dual displays! The same scene would be projected to both eyes.
    Yeah can you imagine how many lawsuits there would be for this device causing everyone crosseyed? lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I can see retailers trying to make such comparisons even harder than they are now.  I remember a few years ago I was in Walmart recording prices on my Palm when an employee approached and asked what I was doing.  When I answered that I was recording the prices for comparison, she said, "We'd prefer people didn't compare our prices to our competitors."

But then she walked away without taking further action.  I'm reasonably certain she thought I was working for a competitor, but it was still amusing.  I kept on recording the prices in which I was interested and I wasn't bothered again.
    That has been a policy at their stores for some time. They don’t allow price comparisons and will approach people who look like they’re doing it as part of their job. They have the right to kick out customers who violate their store policies.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11

That has been a policy at their stores for some time. They don’t allow price comparisons and will approach people who look like they’re doing it as part of their job. They have the right to kick out customers who violate their store policies.
    Palm? Kick people out of Walmart?
    Man that must have been around 20 years ago!
    Palm is long gone and so it Walmart caring what you do in their store. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,347member

Sam Walton was noted for doing just what you were doing, in the early days of WalMart.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I agree. But maybe it will calm your soul down by imagining that the two sets of icons in the picture above are floating in front of the glasses. We only happen to see one set of them through the left glass, and the other set through the right, because of the camera’s current position relative these glasses.
     B)
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Palm? Kick people out of Walmart?
    Man that must have been around 20 years ago!
    Palm is long gone and so it Walmart caring what you do in their store. 
    More like 10 or 11.  I didn't join the Apple Fanboy Club until the 3gs was release.  That was what, 2010? 2009?  Until that point, I was using a brick phone and a Palm.

As for Walmart no longer caring, I might have to test that out. :smiley: 
    tmay said: Sam Walton was noted for doing just what you were doing, in the early days of WalMart. I know, but it was OK when he was doing it. /s :wink: 

SpamSandwich said:

That has been a policy at their stores for some time. They don’t allow price comparisons and will approach people who look like they’re doing it as part of their job. They have the right to kick out customers who violate their store policies. I'm sure that's the policy at most retailers.  And the period in your third sentence belongs immediately after the word "customers". 🤣
  • Reply 9 of 11
    What I don’t know is: do people WANT to wear glasses, if they don’t have to now?

I mean, I had my eyes lasered because I hated my glasses, I hated my contact lenses. No glasses is better.
    So why should I be putting on glasses if I have an iPhone to look up the same information?

Also, these glasses better don’t have the ability to record footage. It’s creepy when you look someone in the eyes and there’s stuff happening I don’t know about.

• Reply 10 of 11
    Apple Glass could display comparison information for shoppers...
    I can't help but:
    How it started
    Glasses HaberFlix
    Where it's going

ravnorodom
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Apple Glass could display comparison information for shoppers...
    Where it's going...
    That virtual dog and dog house on shopping cart is SOLD! I want one.
    watto_cobra