Apple in talks to buy streaming rights to upcoming James Bond film 'No Time to Die'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    You have to be a special kind of asshole to think the problem with a Bond film is that it's not misogynistic enough.
    mpw_amherst
  • Reply 42 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Xed said:

I've been trying to figure out for a long time whether such numbers represent ticket sales or profit. A significant portion of ticket sales ends up in the hands of theatres. If I told you how much you probably wouldn't believe me, so I won't say how much. But do these numbers represent before or after theatres take their cut?
    Yeah, those are ticket sales, and a significant portion does go to the theaters, 
    Glad you agree. Most people are utterly clueless what the percent is that the theatres take. They would probably guess 5% to 10% and they would be wrong. But I'll give you a small clue: the percent they get to keep is double during the first week of release of a picture.
    Yep. One of my personal friend's family owns a three-screen movie theatre. I have had long talks with the patriarch and my eyes were opened wide about the movie industry. Some distributors take as much as 80% of the box office. Disney is the worst because their contracts allow them to control what the other screens are showing when their movies. Don’t like it? Then you get no movies from Disney. Distributors also send inspectors into theaters who count the number of people in the theatre and then demand to see the ticket sales. The numbers better match. Of course the big national theater chains are able to work out better deals.

If you ever wondered why movie theater concessions are so expensive this is part of the answer. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 43 of 44
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Apparently the asking price for the new Bond film was too rich for Apple or Netflix's blood

"According to Variety, MGM took bids from Apple TV+, Netflix and others. However, it was looking for a deal worth approximately $600 million, a price tag that even the deepest pocket streaming services were not interested in."

https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/24/apple-tv-james-bond-mgm-deal/
  • Reply 44 of 44
    If Apple wants to make this Apple TV+ something people want they have a LOT of homework left to do! At present it has yet to reach mediocre. IMHO
    harry wild