Apple TV Remote app inspired Steve Jobs' concept of Apple TV Siri Remote

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jcs2305 said:
    I realize I’m in the apparent minority but I like the Siri Remote. I like that it’s small and doesn’t have a lot of buttons and I can use it without looking at it. My Control4 remote, by comparison, demands I look at it (the keys are backlit) because if I don’t I’m likely to push the wrong button. I don’t use the Control4 very much because of that.

My only issue with it is when I first turn on the TV the remote doesn’t immediately connect and requires I click one of the buttons. The problem is that that click connects the remote but also performs whatever function would normally be associated with that click. For instance, if an app is selected on the screen but the remote hasn’t connected, clicking with connect the remote AND open the app. In most cases the function that is performed isn’t what I wanted to do and just adds some additional steps.
    In settings change what the TV button does. Instead of opening the TV app it can take you to the Home Screen instead. So now you can tap the TV button to wake the remote and there are no other inputs to worry about

When I'm in an app and don't want to navigate away by clicking the Home button, I just click the volume up or down and that wakes up the remote.

I like the Siri remote too but I put it in an Elago case so I can tell which way is up. Also, it slides less with the case, so it generally doesn't slide between the couch cushions. 
  • Reply 22 of 28

I agree. I hate it. Also, it has no mute button.
    However, since tvOS 14 there is now a programing step for the Siri Remote to learn "Mute" as well as volume up/down. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to activate mute on the remote itself, at least on my ATV-4. Haven't had a chance to check out the ATV-4K.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    I sometimes wonder if AI posts stories like this to goad the reader. There can be no other reason. The Siri Remote is a classic example of “it just works - but not if you want to instantly mute sound, because who the hell would ever want to do that?” It’s similar to producing Macbooks with crappy keyboards (and failing to fix that mistake for 4 years) or making Apple Watches with beautiful watch straps that don’t actually anchor the device properly on your wrist. Or refusing to offer loaner laptops to customers whose laptops have crashed through no fault of their own. Unfortunately, I could go on. None of the above fulfills the Jobs vision.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 24 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I sometimes wonder if AI posts stories like this to goad the reader. There can be no other reason. The Siri Remote is a classic example of “it just works - but not if you want to instantly mute sound, because who the hell would ever want to do that?”
    Well, there’s also the 80/20 rule in application design that says something to the effect that 80% of users use only 20% of the features. I’m sure this doesn’t hold true in all cases, and some apps like Word and Excel are probably even lower. But if you take this to heart and value minimalism, as Apple and Steve Jobs often did, the Apple TV remote is a pretty good example of where you end up. They obviously favored omitting an additional button over the inconvenience of holding the volume down key down. All product designs involve trade offs and their designers get to choose. 
  • Reply 25 of 28
    making Apple Watches with beautiful watch straps that don’t actually anchor the device properly on your wrist. 
    This is the first I've ever heard this complaint.

Or refusing to offer loaner laptops to customers whose laptops have crashed through no fault of their own. Unfortunately, I could go on. None of the above fulfills the Jobs vision.
    Right, because they always gave out loaners when Jobs was alive. 
  • Reply 26 of 28
    why would you need a mute button....and let your content playing??? So then to unmute and go back because you missed a good chunk of the content???

just use PAUSE!

if you have the sound coming out of your TV just and are desperate for a MUTE button just use your TV remote.

LG magic remote works really well on ATV.

If people are waiting for Apple to overhaul the ATV remote with the next update to something similar to the Logitech’s Harmony, then they are going to be waiting forever. :D

• Reply 27 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Apple_Bar said:
    why would you need a mute button....and let your content playing??? So then to unmute and go back because you missed a good chunk of the content???

just use PAUSE!

if you have the sound coming out of your TV just and are desperate for a MUTE button just use your TV remote.

LG magic remote works really well on ATV.

If people are waiting for Apple to overhaul the ATV remote with the next update to something similar to the Logitech’s Harmony, then they are going to be waiting forever. :D

It's people who don't adjust to even the simplest change in technology. "Hurr durr my TV always had a mute button so this thing should also even though there's no practical need for it"