Linksys debuts more affordable Velop AX4200 Wi-Fi 6 mesh router

Posted:
in General Discussion
Linksys is expanding its Wi-Fi 6 lineup of Velop mesh routers, making them more affordable as the number of Wi-Fi 6-capable devices continues to grow.

The new Linksys AX4200 mesh router
The new Linksys AX4200 mesh router

The Velop AX4200 Wi-Fi 6 mesh system joins Linksys's MX5 Wi-Fi 6 router but comes in at a lower price to make it much more approachable while offering many of the same features. This Velop router supports 802.11 AX, also known as Wi-Fi 6, and is powered by a 1.4GHz quad-core processor with 512MB of RAM.

It has three Gigabit Ethernet wired network ports and a USB 3.0 port for connecting accessories like storage. The new model offers up to WPA3 security.

Linksys says that the new Velop AX4200 covers 2,700 square feet per node. It is designed to handle more than 40 devices per node all with the same fast bandwidth

This new router is Wi-Fi 6 certified, offers eight streams of tri-band Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, and has a tri-band dynamic backhaul. The router, as well as your network, can all be controlled from the Linksys app.

Apple has gradually been adopting Wi-Fi 6 across all of its devices, starting with the iPhone 11 Pro.

At the moment, the Velop AX4200 does not have HomeKit support but Linksys says this is coming in a future update. Currently, Linksys has already begun to rollout HomeKit support to its popular Tri-Band routers.

The existing MX5 sold for $399 for a one-pack, whereas the new AX4200 sells for $249 solo and $499 for a three-pack to provide fast whole-home coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    “Apple has gradually been adopting Wi-Fi 6 across all of its devices...”

except, of course, the HomePod mini..
  • Reply 2 of 14
    kiehtan said:

Far too gradually!  Yet another example of feature creep.  Damned irritating!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    The question I have is can it be phased into a current tri-band Velop mesh, or do all nodes have to be replaced at once? My current configuration is four tri-band nodes, so this isn’t a trivial expense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Waiting for HomeKit, but am beginning to wonder why.  My automations keep failing.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    but Linksys says this is coming in a future update...

sure guys...
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I have an Airport Time Machine and an Airport Express from 2013 with 8 devices connected.  No problem covering my 1600 sq ft apartment + patio.  Would something like this mesh router be a step up?  Could I still use the Airport Express for its Airplay port?
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    dogolaca said:
    I have an Airport Time Machine and an Airport Express from 2013 with 8 devices connected.  No problem covering my 1600 sq ft apartment + patio.  Would something like this mesh router be a step up?  Could I still use the Airport Express for its Airplay port?
    There is no reason to believe the Airplay would stop working.  I do not do "mesh" (not a fan of them), but have recently upgraded from Apple access points to WiFi 6 access points and the AE still works for home audio (though it is wired to a switch and not on the Wi-Fi network).

In general mesh networks are designed to replace (or in place of) multiple access point networks.  With 1600 square feet, a single access point should work quite nicely.  If you are satisfied with your current signal strength / wireless performance, the only reason to upgrade would be network security.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    kiehtan said:

Please explain how the HomePod Mini would make use of the 802.11AX speed. Does the HomePod Mini play movies? Does it need that speed for streaming music? Does it need that speed for Siri? So tell us why you want 802.11AX on the HomePod Mini. Just because?
    edited October 2020 bageljoeyRayz2016neilmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Apple_Bar said:

sure guys...
    They’ve already started to deliver HomeKit on their other Tri-Band routers so I’m sure this will be coming next.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor

longpath said:
    The question I have is can it be phased into a current tri-band Velop mesh, or do all nodes have to be replaced at once? My current configuration is four tri-band nodes, so this isn’t a trivial expense.
    Linksys Velop routers can all be combined together. So you can add this to your existing Tri-Band setup.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Apple_Bar said:

sure guys...
    They’ve already started to deliver HomeKit on their other Tri-Band routers so I’m sure this will be coming next.
    and how long it took for that delivery? a looooong time. 

Manufacturers and their future “promises”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    lkrupp said:
    kiehtan said:

Please explain how the HomePod Mini would make use of the 802.11AX speed. Does the HomePod Mini play movies? Does it need that speed for streaming music? Does it need that speed for Siri? So tell us why you want 802.11AX on the HomePod Mini. Just because?
    I am not sure about WiFi 6 but devices tend to slow down to the lowest speed devices attached. I read one company's WiFi 6 router package in a store and it alluded to that.   Anyone know for sure?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    This article is a fail.  It did not explain what the difference is between this unit and the more expensive.  Meaning the details.  This had X capability and the more expansive has Y.  That sort of thing.  
    bageljoeyrazorpitwatto_cobratenthousandthings
  • Reply 14 of 14
    kiehtan said:

Far too gradually!  Yet another example of feature creep.  Damned irritating!
    Haha… that's a new definition of "feature creep". I like it
     :)