Logitech debuts lower-cost Ergo M575 trackball for $49.99

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Logitech on Wednesday released a new lower-cost trackball mouse with an ergonomic design and made partly from recycled material.

Logitech Ergo M575 wireless trackball
Credit: Logitech

The Ergo M575 is a lower-cost trackball that runs on a single AA battery and connects to macOS, iPadOS, or Windows via Bluetooth Low Energy or an included USB receiver.

Like other trackballs, the M575 provides the ability to move a cursor without any arm movement. Logitech says that's ideal for tight workspaces and allows a user's arms and hands to stay relaxed during use.

That single AA battery provides up to two years of battery life when using the USB receiver, and up to 20 months when connecting via Bluetooth LE. It's designed to be used for more than 3 million quality clicks, and it's easy to remove the trackball for cleaning.

Logitech says that the M575 is created from post consumer recycled plastic. At least 50% recycled materials are used in the Graphite color, and 21% is used in the Off-white color. The sustainable paper packaging is also created by FSC-certified forests, the company added.

Relying on a Logitech Advanced Optical Tracking sensor, the Ergo M575 provides nominal tracking at 400 dpi with maximum tracking capping out at 2000 dpi.

Wednesday's update is a rare boost to a long-running product line from Logitech. Back in 2017, Logitech unveiled the $99.99 MX Ergo wireless trackball, which includes deeper ergonomics, more customizable buttons, and multi-device support.

The Ergo M575 is available exclusively from Logitech.com, and retails for $49.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I'm a big fan of trackballs in general. After I started experiencing carpel tunnel issues I switched to using trackballs and never looked back. Never liked the finger operated ones which I was very familiar with from the military, but the thumb operated ones fit me like a glove. I've been using them since the 1991 Logitech Trackman stationary mouse, then the Trackman Marble optical, Microsoft Trackball Optical, Logitech Trackman Wheel optical, and the latest MX Ergo. Microsoft's circa 2000 Trackball Optical was probably the most comfortable of all because it was a little larger and flatter than the newer Logitech trackballs which tend to be a a bit shorter with a more pronounced hump. The Logitech Trackman Wheel is the worst for me because the palm rest area is slippery plastic and you have to maintain a grip on the thing to keep your hand from sliding off. 

The $100 MX Ergo trackball is exceptionally comfortable, but the comfort is greatly enhanced by three factors: 1) the surface where your palm rests is rubberized so your hand stays firmly planted without any need to squeeze the device. The grippiness also compensates for the relatively smaller size and curvature of the trackball (for me anyway), 2) it comes with a metal base that allows you to tilt the device to the right for a more natural wrist angle (for me at least), and 3) it has a bit of heft to it and the entire underside surface of the base is coated with a rubberized material so it doesn't slide around on your desk at all. The MX Ergo is my main pointing device, but I have an Apple Magic Trackpad sitting next to it, primarily for gestures, like switching between full screen apps.

The $100 MX Ergo definitely has more features than the $50 Ergo M575, but trackballs are almost entirely about the ergonomics. The only exception being cases where you cannot physically accommodate a traditional mouse or trackpad. If the trackball isn't totally comfortable for you to use it really doesn't matter how much money you saved up-front - you will hate it. I cannot really tell from Logitech's pictures on their web site whether the M575 has a rubberized top surface. It appears to have a texture, which is a good sign. No two people have the same needs when it comes to ergonomics so you really have to test drive it for yourself. 
    h4y3s
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I am also a fan of trackballs. I have been using a Kensington Orbit trackball for over ten years now, with both Windows and MacOS computers, and have been very happy with it. 

It is a wired trackball, but they also make a wireless version now. But for $40, and the fact that is still working after more than ten years in a daily work environment, I have been completely satisfied with it. 
    jeffharris
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I've been using trackballs forever. I never liked mice. Tried thumb operated ones, but found them awkward to use.
    I do Vectorworks CAD and 3D and a trackball is so much faster, accurate and more comfortable than ANY mouse.

Tried MANY different trackballs over the years but kept coming back to the Kensington Expert Mouse (used to be the Turbo) wired version.
    The scroll wheel that surrounds the ball is really great, too.

Kensington's Kensingtonworks trackball software allows for programming the 4 buttons and also chording them.

https://www.kensington.com/p/products/electronic-control-solutions/trackball-products/expert-mouse-wired-trackball/
  • Reply 4 of 5
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Wasn’t able to find this on the website: any idea if it will be offered in a lefty version?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Ofer said:
    Wasn’t able to find this on the website: any idea if it will be offered in a lefty version?