ExxonMobil rolls out tap-to-pay App Clip feature at gas pumps

Posted:
in General Discussion
ExxonMobil has added another way to pay at the pump with new App Clips, allowing users to pay for gasoline through the rewards app with Apple Pay.

ExxonMobil rolls out tap-to-pay App Clip feature at gas pumps

Paying at the pump just got easier, as ExxonMobil has begun rolling out a new tap-to-pay feature at its pumps. By utilizing an NFC sticker, iPhone users can tap their phone on the gas pump and use App Clips to pay when refueling their cars at ExxonMobil gas stations.

The App Clip allows a customer to pay via Apple Pay without needing to first download the Exxon Mobil app -- perfect for unexpected stops or when you're in a rush.

If a customer already owns the Exxon Mobil Rewards+ app, the App Clip sticker will launch the app, allowing them to earn rewards for the purchase, according to Digital Transactions.

App Clips rolled out with iOS 14, and are mini versions of apps that you don't need to download to use. In a way, they're just web-based versions of many apps you already know and love. App Clips can be accessed in many different ways -- through Apple Maps, websites, and even Messages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Well, I’ll find out for myself soon enough but I have a question: will I still have to use the interface on the pump to 1) tap “yes”
    or “no” to the debit card question then 2) enter my zip code then 3) decline a car wash before I’m allowed to pump gas? My local Mobil station accepts Apple Pay (which I love) at the pump but I still have to interact with the pump. I don’t get it since none of those things are necessary at the grocery store across the street where I use Apple Pay. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Well, I’ll find out for myself soon enough but I have a question: will I still have to use the interface on the pump to 1) tap “yes”
    or “no” to the debit card question then 2) enter my zip code then 3) decline a car wash before I’m allowed to pump gas? My local Mobil station accepts Apple Pay (which I love) at the pump but I still have to interact with the pump. I don’t get it since none of those things are necessary at the grocery store across the street where I use Apple Pay. 

Similar issues. I can't use the BP rewards app with my debit card because it doesn't let you apply the Debit/Cash discount. Only processes as a credit card.
    So, I still have to swipe my card to select Debit to save $0.10/gallon.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Why is Android, Google GPay still a thing?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Interesting. I don’t recall having to interact with the screen at the pump at all when I’ve used the app to pay. Could just be that I’ve not been going to stations that have the car wash option but I’m very sure I’ve not had to select credit vs debit or any other questions. I wonder if it has to do with using Apple Card with Apple Pay. Are you using an Apple Card account?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    nrg2nrg2 Posts: 18member
    I use the ExxonMobil app quite regularly. Seeing this is just a mini web version, it will likely work the same way. With the app, if a gas station offers a car wash it shows as an option to select - no pump interaction. The app also asks if you want a digital, paper or both receipt. So if you select digital only the only touching at the pump is for selecting grade of fuel and the pump handle.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    BatmanPPC said:
    Interesting. I don’t recall having to interact with the screen at the pump at all when I’ve used the app to pay. Could just be that I’ve not been going to stations that have the car wash option but I’m very sure I’ve not had to select credit vs debit or any other questions. I wonder if it has to do with using Apple Card with Apple Pay. Are you using an Apple Card account?
    I don’t use the app, the pump accepts Apple Pay so I just hold my watch up to it, then the interactions are exactly the same as they are when I use a physical card. It’s obnoxious. Like I mentioned, I don’t have to do any of that when I use my watch to pay at the grocery store or the coffee shop or pretty much anywhere else (Ocean State Job Lot is the exception, their terminals also require answering a bunch of questions). I am using Apple Card but it works the same as it did when I used my Visa card.
    stompy
  • Reply 7 of 8
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    BatmanPPC said:
     will I still have to use the interface on the pump to 1) tap “yes”
    or “no” to the debit card question then 2) enter my zip code then 3) decline a car wash ...
    Interesting. I don’t recall having to interact with the screen at the pump at all when I’ve used the app to pay. ...
    I don’t use the app, the pump accepts Apple Pay so I just hold my watch up to it, then the interactions are exactly the same as they are when I use a physical card. It’s obnoxious. 
    Same. Have to key in my postal code after confirming Apple Pay.

Not just any programmer can develop such software. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I needed gas on Thursday and stopped at a different Mobil than the one I usually go to. It doesn’t accept Apple Pay at the pump like the one near me does but it did have the QR code on the pump. 

I scanned the code and was promoted to open the app (which I do not have on my phone). I tapped the prompt and my phone started to open what I expected to be the App Clip. I waited a few seconds and received some kind of connection error. 

I swiped to the App Switcher and saw that what I think was the App Clip behaved like a regular app would. I swiped up on it to quit and tried again with the same result. 

After that I used my physical card to pay. 

Has anyone gotten it to work? What was it like?