macOS 11.0.1 beta files hint at three unreleased Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Three distinct Mac models are hinted at in placeholder files in the macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 beta, which suggests a possible 2020 release for those models.

Three Macs hinted at in macOS Big Sur beta
Three Macs hinted at in macOS Big Sur beta

Apple is expected to announce any number of new Macs running Apple Silicon at a November event. Speculation says a new 14-inch MacBook Pro, a 24-inch iMac, and Mac mini could be released.

A Twitter user by the handle @HarckerTech shared an image showing multiple placeholder bundles in the beta operating system, two of which were not present in the previous beta. These three placeholders indicate the possibility of three new Macs coming at the event.

MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1 mentions 3 distinct unreleased Macs, all set for release in 2020. In beta 10 only one of these was present.@9to5mac @appleinsider pic.twitter.com/0u5aGszbWl

-- Hans Harck Tnning (@HarckerTech)
Other elements are lining up to indicate new Mac releases as well. Supply chain reports suggest that the A14X will start production in Q4 2020 for use in Macs. This will be followed by production of a higher-end A14T chipset in early 2021.

Seasoned analyst Ming-Chi Kuo places the release of new MacBooks in Q4 as well. He expects updated MacBook Pro models to launch in mid to late 2021 too.

Filings with the EEC show at least five Mac models are on the way.

Apple has not announced the event officially, though all rumors point to sometime between November 9 and November 17. Apple is preparing for the announcement by inviting developers to participate in special Apple Silicon focused Mac labs before the launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Seasoned analyst Ming-Chi Kuo...”?

He’s just an analyst and one that has a spotty track record at best (especially when he speculates on anything outside his network of manufacturing contacts). There is no reason to butter the guy up.
    edited October 2020 williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 13
    My wallet is ready for a 14" MacBook Pro. Let's get this announcement over with. LOL.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I'm thinking (hoping) one of the new ASi models will be a thin, powerful, lightweight w/super long battery life model - probably a replacement for the 12" MacBook that was discontinued. They'll be able to demonstrate more power with no fan than those inferior Intel Core M chips, for (hopefully) cheaper too. How exciting, can't wait to see what they unveil.
    mpw_amherstronnAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I'm excited too.  My only concerns with being a bleeding edge adopter would be application compatibility and "1.0 issues."  Can't want for the alleged November event.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 13
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'm kind of holding out for the last gasp Intel based MacBook Pro, for personal reasons. Clearly, ASi is the way forward, I'm just not sure my personal workflow, such as it is, is ready t go there yet. Still we shall see what we shall see. I'd like to be surprised at the announcement about the capabilities of the ASi Macs, even to the point of being able to  jump straight in, but I'm expecting it to be another year before it's where I'm able to go ahead.

Still, an ASi Mac mini does fit my personal workflow, and I am ready and waiting for it. Maybe even an iMac depending specs and cost.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    anome said:
    I'm kind of holding out for the last gasp Intel based MacBook Pro, for personal reasons. Clearly, ASi is the way forward, I'm just not sure my personal workflow, such as it is, is ready t go there yet. Still we shall see what we shall see. I'd like to be surprised at the announcement about the capabilities of the ASi Macs, even to the point of being able to  jump straight in, but I'm expecting it to be another year before it's where I'm able to go ahead.

Still, an ASi Mac mini does fit my personal workflow, and I am ready and waiting for it. Maybe even an iMac depending specs and cost.
    I’m the same, I well remember the Intel transition and how long it took for certain apps to become native.

My 16” MacBook Pro will easily last the next 4 or so years and by then the transition will be complete and bedded down.

On a side note I wonder if this is the reason for the delay on Big Sur, they’re waiting for the new Macs to get released so as not to have any spoilers.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I’m much more interested in new MacBook with Apple Si than the iPhones. Looking forward to the announcement/keynote.
    williamlondonGG1
  • Reply 8 of 13
    why on earth would they release a high-performance ARM 24" iMac when all anyone buys are 27" models*? The only way this makes a lick of sense is if they've got something new like the Surface Studio planned, I don't buy it.

my bet:
    Mac Mini
    12" MacBook
    12" MacBook with cellular

* yes, I know, they sell a lot of 24"s to schools
    edited October 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 13
    After purchasing the entry level 16" macbook pro for my wife at the beginning of this year, I think the ideal form factor will be that 16" with the A14T ASI processor.  Hoping it can span 24-48 hours in terms of battery and without the fan and heat engineering components.  That new keyboard coupled with 5G/LTE net add to the Verizon network would be the ultimate laptop for the next 3-5 years.  Thinking it will probably arrive April... 

If Apple ported Xcode to my IPad Pro I could wait..... 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Eric_WVGG said:
    why on earth would they release a high-performance ARM 24" iMac when all anyone buys are 27" models*? The only way this makes a lick of sense is if they've got something new like the Surface Studio planned, I don't buy it.

my bet:
    Mac Mini
    12" MacBook
    12" MacBook with cellular

I don’t think the 12” MacBook is coming back. I think the MacBook Air and the iPad Pro now occupy the spot in the lineup that the 12” MacBook once occupied.
    williamlondondanncer
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Eric_WVGG said:
    why on earth would they release a high-performance ARM 24" iMac when all anyone buys are 27" models*? ...

I wondered the same thing.  Maybe they're intentionally selling to the smaller market initially... they KNOW there will be some version 1.0 bugs in this... maybe they just want to get it out in the wild with a smaller footprint... get version 1.1 in place, and then release the 27".
    (Total speculation, of course... I know nothing.)

I'm also not sure how many they sell to schools anymore... all the schools I've seen lately seem to be going the way of the laptop or tablet form factor.
    Alex1Nronn
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Can we expect a much smaller Mac mini? Or rather, how much smaller? A Apple TV size would be possible, but I just recently had a look at a Mac mini tear down and the fan is one of the biggest components. The ac adapter was kind of big too. As much as I’d like a usb-stick sized computer I would prefer if it was a. It bigger and maxed out it’s performance. Gonna be interesting, even if they just ship the developer unit with another cpu. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Can we expect a much smaller Mac mini? Or rather, how much smaller? A Apple TV size would be possible, but I just recently had a look at a Mac mini tear down and the fan is one of the biggest components. The ac adapter was kind of big too. As much as I’d like a usb-stick sized computer I would prefer if it was a. It bigger and maxed out it’s performance. Gonna be interesting, even if they just ship the developer unit with another cpu. 
    If it is a new ASi Mac mini, I hope it is not smaller - I don't want to lose any ports on the Mac mini.
    ronn