Apple says iPhone, Mac, iPad and Apple Watch supply constrained

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is seeing supply constraints across its product lineup, a potential indicator of high demand for new iPhone 12 models and other devices.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider


During the company's earnings call on Thursday, Apple CEO Tim Cook admitted that supply of the new iPhone models, as well as certain Apple Watch, Mac and iPad devices, are currently constrained.

Although the Apple chief executive didn't elaborate on the cause of the holdup, it could be a mix of higher-than-anticipated demand and lingering supply chain issues from the coronavirus.

On Thursday, Apple reported an all-new record high for the Mac segment, largely driven by continued remote work and education tailwinds during the global health crisis. Although the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro launched too late in the year to be included in the September quarter results, delivery dates for the released models started slipping within hours of availability.

"Not a surprise at front end of the ramp, and how long we'll be constrained it's hard to predict. We haven't taken orders yet for iPhone 12 Mini or Pro Max, so those are coming and we shall see," Cook said.

Apple launched new Mac and iPad models throughout the year, and the iPhone supply chain is working on both the released iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models and the unreleased iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Across the board, Cook said the company is working to mitigate the problems. That will likely become increasingly important as the company approaches the busy holiday shopping season.

"A fair number of areas of focus right now, and we're working really, really hard to remedy those as quickly as we can. But at this point, I can't estimate when we'll be out of that," Cook said.

Earlier in October, a supply chain report suggested that Apple supplier Foxconn was hiring factory workers "in droves" in anticipation of iPhone 12 demand.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    Will people try to sell new, unopened Apple devices on eBay for higher than Apple's prices?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I'd tend to think supply issues still linger.

    One weird sign: Go to the top 27" (8 core) and Apple says 3-4 weeks. Change RAM (because you aren't cheap  :D), change the CPU, Storage, still 3-4 weeks

    Change the GPU on the other hand. 1-2 weeks! The 5500XT seems to be the bottleneck on that model.
    razorpitJapheymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 15
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    mknelson said:
    I'd tend to think supply issues still linger.

    One weird sign: Go to the top 27" (8 core) and Apple says 3-4 weeks. Change RAM (because you aren't cheap  :D), change the CPU, Storage, still 3-4 weeks

    Change the GPU on the other hand. 1-2 weeks! The 5500XT seems to be the bottleneck on that model.
    The bottleneck as for what folks are ordering. A lot of people know that the GPU an iMac ships with is almost always sufficient for their needs of a very long lasting machine with the software optimization that’ll take place for 10 years or so. What’s crazy is people are still buying the hell out of the “Outdated 5 years ago design” while knowing apple is about to release an entire new lineup. Don’t believe the YouTube media hype saying the current iMac is an eyesore of an old design. My 2017 i5 iMac is still a pleasure to look at and will bring top dollar as a used machine when I go to sell it. Not a single Windows machine has the ability to pull that sort of longevity off.  
    jas99viclauyyc
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ciacia Posts: 145member
    Data point:  I ordered a 44mm Product RED Apple Watch 6 on Oct 15th.  5 days ago it shipped direct from China and was delivered today (Oct 29th) in New England.
    Kuyangkoh
  • Reply 5 of 15
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    F_Kent_D said:
    mknelson said:
    I'd tend to think supply issues still linger.

    One weird sign: Go to the top 27" (8 core) and Apple says 3-4 weeks. Change RAM (because you aren't cheap  :D), change the CPU, Storage, still 3-4 weeks

    Change the GPU on the other hand. 1-2 weeks! The 5500XT seems to be the bottleneck on that model.
    The bottleneck as for what folks are ordering. A lot of people know that the GPU an iMac ships with is almost always sufficient for their needs of a very long lasting machine with the software optimization that’ll take place for 10 years or so. What’s crazy is people are still buying the hell out of the “Outdated 5 years ago design” while knowing apple is about to release an entire new lineup. Don’t believe the YouTube media hype saying the current iMac is an eyesore of an old design. My 2017 i5 iMac is still a pleasure to look at and will bring top dollar as a used machine when I go to sell it. Not a single Windows machine has the ability to pull that sort of longevity off.  
    Most people don’t know what’s coming. I was at the Genius Bar literally an hour before the iPhone 12 announcement and people were in there looking at 11’s. You think they know Apple is about to change the silicon? 
    mike1
  • Reply 6 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 2,521member
    razorpit said:
    F_Kent_D said:
    mknelson said:
    I'd tend to think supply issues still linger.

    One weird sign: Go to the top 27" (8 core) and Apple says 3-4 weeks. Change RAM (because you aren't cheap  :D), change the CPU, Storage, still 3-4 weeks

    Change the GPU on the other hand. 1-2 weeks! The 5500XT seems to be the bottleneck on that model.
    The bottleneck as for what folks are ordering. A lot of people know that the GPU an iMac ships with is almost always sufficient for their needs of a very long lasting machine with the software optimization that’ll take place for 10 years or so. What’s crazy is people are still buying the hell out of the “Outdated 5 years ago design” while knowing apple is about to release an entire new lineup. Don’t believe the YouTube media hype saying the current iMac is an eyesore of an old design. My 2017 i5 iMac is still a pleasure to look at and will bring top dollar as a used machine when I go to sell it. Not a single Windows machine has the ability to pull that sort of longevity off.  
    Most people don’t know what’s coming. I was at the Genius Bar literally an hour before the iPhone 12 announcement and people were in there looking at 11’s. You think they know Apple is about to change the silicon? 
    A lot of people live in areas that don't have 5G so the iPhone 12 isn't of ANY benefit to them. (They also may not care about Dolby Vision or other fancy video enhancements in the iPhone 12.) A lot of people might find the iPhone 11 the appropriate choice for them right now, especially for the $200 savings. In my case the faster mmWave 5G isn't coming to Canada for at least 9 more months, so by that point the iPhone 13 will be nearly here.

    And more interestingly, this guy  shows in his test that the iPhone 12 5G is on average much slower than the iPhone 12 LTE in his city.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    When people complain about the iMacs design, I wonder "why are these people looking at their iMac instead of using it?"  :D
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,446member
    F_Kent_D said:
    mknelson said:
    I'd tend to think supply issues still linger.

    One weird sign: Go to the top 27" (8 core) and Apple says 3-4 weeks. Change RAM (because you aren't cheap  :D), change the CPU, Storage, still 3-4 weeks

    Change the GPU on the other hand. 1-2 weeks! The 5500XT seems to be the bottleneck on that model.
    The bottleneck as for what folks are ordering. A lot of people know that the GPU an iMac ships with is almost always sufficient for their needs of a very long lasting machine with the software optimization that’ll take place for 10 years or so. What’s crazy is people are still buying the hell out of the “Outdated 5 years ago design” while knowing apple is about to release an entire new lineup. Don’t believe the YouTube media hype saying the current iMac is an eyesore of an old design. My 2017 i5 iMac is still a pleasure to look at and will bring top dollar as a used machine when I go to sell it. Not a single Windows machine has the ability to pull that sort of longevity off.  

    Well, I'm still running on a 2009 iMac 27" i7 and I still think it looks better than most (if not all) PC's available. I think the design doesn't at all feel dated... it's elegant and timeless. Yes, gone are the fun days of brightly colored plastic - but those systems were meant to be attention grabbers.

    As far as people still buying these systems even though Apple is about to renew them (in a big way)... most don't know or even care about that stuff. They just know they need a computer now.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 831member
    razorpit said:
    Most people don’t know what’s coming. I was at the Genius Bar literally an hour before the iPhone 12 announcement and people were in there looking at 11’s. You think they know Apple is about to change the silicon? 
    I waited until I could compare the specs between the 12 and the 11 and decided to buy the 11. In addition to not needing what the 12 offers, it’s not worth paying € 1100 for the 12 vs. € 640 for the 11.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    fred1 said:
    razorpit said:
    Most people don’t know what’s coming. I was at the Genius Bar literally an hour before the iPhone 12 announcement and people were in there looking at 11’s. You think they know Apple is about to change the silicon? 
    I waited until I could compare the specs between the 12 and the 11 and decided to buy the 11. In addition to not needing what the 12 offers, it’s not worth paying € 1100 for the 12 vs. € 640 for the 11.
    Some folks buys not on need but on want.... 11 is perfect for just regular users, die hard Apple users replaced their gadgets yearly or whenever they want, prices are not their concerns 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,545member
    For many upgrading iPhone regularly is a part of their happiness like taking vacation or replacing perfectly working car with something newer or spending money on person you like,etc. Can't put price on happiness.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 2,521member
    wood1208 said:
    For many upgrading iPhone regularly is a part of their happiness like taking vacation or replacing perfectly working car with something newer or spending money on person you like,etc. Can't put price on happiness.
    Good point. I myself am on only my second smart phone, which is an iPhone 11. I'm not even sure I would upgrade to an iPhone 13.

    I'm not superstitious, but I wonder if Apple will skip #13. They might jump to 15 because to put their iPhone number in sync with next year's A15 chip. A second benefit of skipping #14 is that the digit 4 is very unlucky in most of the Orient. Yes, Apple did sell the iPhone 4, but I doubt that they had a big market in China in those days anyway.

    The number 4 is so hated in the Orient, that even in Australia (and other countries) some new buildings skip from floor 3 to floor 5 because they don't want to lose customers from China. They also skip 14, 24, 34, 40, 41, 42... and 49.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia <--

    Has anyone noticed that China's OnePhone phones jumped from version 3 to 5? Has anyone noticed that China bid on the 2000 and 2008 Olympics but not 2004?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 2,531member
    I wonder if the typical idiots will claim Apple is doing this on purpose to create demand.

    Although that meme is dying more and more every year.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 2,754member
    razorpit said:
    F_Kent_D said:
    mknelson said:
    I'd tend to think supply issues still linger.

    One weird sign: Go to the top 27" (8 core) and Apple says 3-4 weeks. Change RAM (because you aren't cheap  :D), change the CPU, Storage, still 3-4 weeks

    Change the GPU on the other hand. 1-2 weeks! The 5500XT seems to be the bottleneck on that model.
    The bottleneck as for what folks are ordering. A lot of people know that the GPU an iMac ships with is almost always sufficient for their needs of a very long lasting machine with the software optimization that’ll take place for 10 years or so. What’s crazy is people are still buying the hell out of the “Outdated 5 years ago design” while knowing apple is about to release an entire new lineup. Don’t believe the YouTube media hype saying the current iMac is an eyesore of an old design. My 2017 i5 iMac is still a pleasure to look at and will bring top dollar as a used machine when I go to sell it. Not a single Windows machine has the ability to pull that sort of longevity off.  
    Most people don’t know what’s coming. I was at the Genius Bar literally an hour before the iPhone 12 announcement and people were in there looking at 11’s. You think they know Apple is about to change the silicon? 

    So true. The vast majority of people do not know or care about Apple's release cycles. They go to the store when they need new phone or a fiend shows them the newest thing they bought.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 831member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    fred1 said:
    razorpit said:
    Most people don’t know what’s coming. I was at the Genius Bar literally an hour before the iPhone 12 announcement and people were in there looking at 11’s. You think they know Apple is about to change the silicon? 
    I waited until I could compare the specs between the 12 and the 11 and decided to buy the 11. In addition to not needing what the 12 offers, it’s not worth paying € 1100 for the 12 vs. € 640 for the 11.
    Some folks buys not on need but on want.... 11 is perfect for just regular users, die hard Apple users replaced their gadgets yearly or whenever they want, prices are not their concerns 
    I understand that, but my reply was to the person who seemed to think that people were foolish to be looking at the iPhone 11 when the 12 was about to be released. 
Sign In or Register to comment.