Apple named Interbrand's top global brand for eighth consecutive year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Global brand consultancy Interbrand in its latest report on global brand impact once again named Apple as the world's most valuable corporate name, a position the tech giant has held for eight years.

Interbrand

Interbrand assigned Apple a "brand value" of just under $323 billion, up 38% from $234.2 billion last year.

According to the firm, brand value is a calculation that represents a brand's impact on customers, employees and investors. Strong brands exert influence on consumers, create a loyal following, attract and retain employees and lower the cost of financing.

"Ultimately, Apple's (BV $322,999bn +38% YOY) distinctiveness - or, in fact, uniqueness - isn't a result of what the brand says, but what it does," according to the Interbrand report. "It's Apple's products, technologies and stores that speak to the organization's philosophy of beautiful simplicity and individual empowerment - much more than any campaign could ever do. Inasmuch as many talk about the brand's aura, Apple has consistently changed what was in people's minds by changing what was in their hands."

There was a bit of shuffling in the top-five in 2020. Second place Amazon, which was previously in third, grew its brand value by a massive 60% as it invested in realtime data, AI and machine learning. Microsoft also experienced healthy gains to land itself in third position, up 53% on what Interbrand calls an "extraordinary cultural shift" at the hands of CEO Satya Nadella. Google and Samsung rounded out the top five spots.

Tech companies accounted for 11 of the top 20 brands, with newcomer Instagram entering the scene in 19th place. More than half of Interbrand's identified top growing brands have significant subscription model businesses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Funny, I consider brands 2, 3, 4, 5, and especially 13 to have negative brand value, mostly because of their approaches to security and privacy. I avoid those brands, and anything they do (as much as I can.)

I would consider those brand names to be as much of a turnoff as these: https://www.trademarknow.com/blog/the-7-most-unfortunate-brand-names-ever-trademarked <--
    qwerty52gregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 15
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Funny, I consider brands 2, 3, 4, 5, and especially 13 to have negative brand value, mostly because of their approaches to security and privacy. I avoid those brands, and anything they do (as much as I can.)

I would consider those brand names to be as much of a turnoff as these: https://www.trademarknow.com/blog/the-7-most-unfortunate-brand-names-ever-trademarked <--
    What's more funny is that brand #1 receives money from company #4 to make their search engine the default in company #1 browser.  So I suppose company #1 don't have the trust issues you have with company #4, considering they trust their customers to them.  

Company #2 is the largest cloud provider in the world, and even company #1 use their services.  And I haven't seen the security and privacy issues you mention.

Also company #3 is, maybe, the most trusted brand in enterprises and business.  So maybe they are not as bad as you think.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 15
    danvm said:

What's more funny is that brand #1 receives money from company #4 to make their search engine the default in company #1 browser.  So I suppose company #1 don't have the trust issues you have with company #4, considering they trust their customers to them.  

Company #2 is the largest cloud provider in the world, and even company #1 use their services.  And I haven't seen the security and privacy issues you mention.

Also company #3 is, maybe, the most trusted brand in enterprises and business.  So maybe they are not as bad as you think.  
    Each of my three sentences had to do with how I felt about these companies. A person's feelings are personal and should always be respected. If someone hates General Motors, you can say all you want, but you can't make them like GM. Everyone has the right to hate any company they want to hate. There are lots of Apple haters on these forums, for example, and nobody shuts them down.

Your second paragraph is the most interesting. but I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. You said "you haven't seen the security and privacy issues [from Amazon]" Really? Amazon has many security and privacy issues. Like their Amazon Echo which is always listening to and recording what you are saying in your house. How is that not a security or privacy issue? I just googled "is amazon echo secure" and found 100 articles from different companies pointing out problems with it. Like this one. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/amazons-alexa-never-stops-listening-to-you/ I figured you might like the NY Times. In that article it says Apple has suspended the practice of recording people's speech, but Amazon is still recording you.
    qwerty52
  • Reply 4 of 15
    danvm said:

In your attempt to defend those companies, for which we know for sure that they don’t respect the privacy of their users, you are trying to rape the truth.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    danvm said:
    Are you a big fan of LinkedIn? Your favourite #3, Microsoft, bought LinkedIn in 2016, which is a company whose deceptive email practices were spawned in hell, but since Microsoft bought them up for $26 billion, the number of criminally deceptive emails I've got from LinkedIn has dropped quite a bit, for which I am eternally grateful to Microsoft, but hasn't hit zero. I'm glad Microsoft spent $26 billion to cut my serious spam problem by about 50%. I respect Microsoft for stopping the criminal behaviour coming out of subsidiaries that they own. But that doesn't mean I have to like them now.
    edited October 2020 tmay
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    danvm said:

#4 You don't have to have a Google account to use google.com and Apple's Safari has a lot a mechanisms in place to keep nefarious websites from tracking and hoarding personal data. The value of the search engine isn't in gathering user data, it's in gathering usage data.

#2 Amazon treats users' accounts and data much differently than they would a huge enterprise like Apple. Having said that, I agree, I haven't really seen privacy/security issues from Amazon.

#3 Let's not confuse "familiar" with "trusted". But again, they have come a long way from their days of monopoly abuse, raping corporate IT departments and suppressing competition.
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 15
    danvm said:

Each of my three sentences had to do with how I felt about these companies. A person's feelings are personal and should always be respected. If someone hates General Motors, you can say all you want, but you can't make them like GM. Everyone has the right to hate any company they want to hate. There are lots of Apple haters on these forums, for example, and nobody shuts them down.
    First of all, my intentions wasn't to disrespect you preferences.  Second, not everyone that post a negative comment in the forums is an Apple hater.  I consider myself a customer and not a fan of Apple or MS, considering my devices are only from those two companies (most of them are from Apple).  I have zero devices from Google or Amazon.  
    Your second paragraph is the most interesting. but I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. You said "you haven't seen the security and privacy issues [from Amazon]" Really? Amazon has many security and privacy issues. Like their Amazon Echo which is always listening to and recording what you are saying in your house. How is that not a security or privacy issue? I just googled "is amazon echo secure" and found 100 articles from different companies pointing out problems with it. Like this one. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/amazons-alexa-never-stops-listening-to-you/ I figured you might like the NY Times. In that article it says Apple has suspended the practice of recording people's speech, but Amazon is still recording you.
    I did the same search and you, and my results were related on how to change privacy settings in Alexa, including opt-out of audio recordings.  I prefer what Apple does, of making it by default, but still very easy to do with Alexa.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 15
    qwerty52 said:
    danvm said:

In your attempt to defend those companies, for which we know for sure that they don’t respect the privacy of their users, you are trying to rape the truth.
    First, I wasn't defending any company.  Now, following your commnet, if we are not sure if Google respect their user privacy, why Apple receive money to make Google Search the default engine for Safari?  Also, can we trust Apple after they were caught recording Siri conversations, even though they were saying “What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone”?  How can we be sure they respect our privacy?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

Well that's great, but consumers, employees, and investors typically don't factor that into their decision making. As stated in the article, the ranking reflects that "strong brands exert influence on consumers, create a loyal following, attract and retain employees and lower the cost of financing.  In other words, a "strong brand" is one that generates profit, not necessarily the one that is at the forefront of human rights. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 10 of 15
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

danvm said:

Yeah that make no sense.  The fact that Google is the default engine does not mean that ANY personal information is shared.  Google has no idea who you are unless you log in with your Google account. The only information Google can obtain is your general location from your IP address (and perhaps other sites you have visited if you have cross-site tracking enabled).  

And in case you weren't aware of this, you are in full control over microphone, video, location, cookies, and other privacy settings in Safari.  If someone is obtaining your information it is because YOU allowed it, not because Apple makes Google the default search engine. 

edited October 2020 qwerty52
  • Reply 11 of 15
    flydog said:

danvm said:

Yeah that make no sense.  The fact that Google is the default engine does not mean that ANY personal information is shared.  Google has no idea who you are unless you log in with your Google account. The only information Google can obtain is your general location from your IP address 
    Even if you have never visited a Google site in your life, and then you visit it once for the first time, Google already knows TONS about you because of cross-site tracking combined with cookies. You should learn how cross-site tracking works. It's pretty scary. It's so scary that Apple has just updated Safari to prevent cross-site cookie tracking. You should be thrilled. Google must hate this, but they've agreed to match Apple's new feature for Chrome within 2 years. Why 2 years? Who knows. I presume because Google loves tracking people, even when they don't login.
  • Reply 12 of 15

flydog said:

Well that's great, but consumers, employees, and investors typically don't factor that into their decision making. As stated in the article, the ranking reflects that "strong brands exert influence on consumers, create a loyal following, attract and retain employees and lower the cost of financing.  In other words, a "strong brand" is one that generates profit, not necessarily the one that is at the forefront of human rights. 
    Agree completely. I merely said that I personally consider those brands to be negative in terms of value. But I recognize they have value to others.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    flydog said:

danvm said:

Yeah that make no sense.  The fact that Google is the default engine does not mean that ANY personal information is shared.  Google has no idea who you are unless you log in with your Google account. The only information Google can obtain is your general location from your IP address (and perhaps other sites you have visited if you have cross-site tracking enabled).  

And in case you weren't aware of this, you are in full control over microphone, video, location, cookies, and other privacy settings in Safari.  If someone is obtaining your information it is because YOU allowed it, not because Apple makes Google the default search engine. 
    I already knew about how Safari protects the end-user, but my post wasn't about that.  It was about how a company like Apple, that takes pride in their privacy stance and sell their devices and services based on that, takes billions to make Google Search the default search engine in Safari.  Don't you think it would be better if they invest, maybe even acquire a search engine with a privacy POV, like DuckDuckGo?  Or maybe work in their own search engine, as they did with Apple Maps.  There are rumors about this, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 15
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    In my opinion, huge privacy issue with #3 and this reflects in their 365 products, nothing but snooping by people *anyone* above you. I even use #1 for cloud services on some specific purposes only. For anything sensitive, extremely personal, I only trust my own drives. Lots of dodgy stuff everywhere. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 15 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    flydog said:

danvm said:

Yeah that make no sense.  The fact that Google is the default engine does not mean that ANY personal information is shared.  Google has no idea who you are unless you log in with your Google account. The only information Google can obtain is your general location from your IP address 
    Even if you have never visited a Google site in your life, and then you visit it once for the first time, Google already knows TONS about you because of cross-site tracking combined with cookies. 
    Link please?

Google doesn't know it's "me" even when my account is logged in. How on earth do they know who you are if you don't even have a Google account? Seriously, where can I find proof that Google is tracking people who don't have Google accounts, since surely you don't just make stuff up? I'm very willing to learn things I wasn't previously aware of, and it wouldn't be the first time I've called out Google for doing something I believe to be "bad" (ie wifi data snippet collection from mapping vans) and to me this would be 'bad Google" if you never agreed to personal info sharing.

FWIW the data used by Google for placing companies' ads is connected to an Advertising ID number sourced from your Google account, as anonymized as Apple's IDFA sourced from your iOS device. Neither one says who you actually are, nor is the "real you" ever shared with an advertiser. 

Tho its use is finally being restricted to only Apple's own in-house purposes with iOS14, you presumably weren't worried that Apple offered tracking of "you" for advertisers up to now.  "What's this you say?" Look up IDFA and why Apple created it. 
    edited October 2020