Pandora adds HomePod, HomePod mini integration

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Ahead of the launch of the HomePod mini, Pandora has introduced Siri voice command support for Apple's lineup of smart speakers.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple first announced that Pandora would introduce integration with HomePod and HomePod mini back in October. At the time, the company said the support would arrive "in the coming months."

Just a few weeks later, Pandora has added HomePod support in its latest 2010.1 release, which should be available as of Monday.

Users who download the update can set up HomePod integration by opening the Pandora app on their iPhone, selecting Profile and Settings, and tapping on Connect with HomePod. The integration will allow users to control music and podcast playback with Siri voice commands.

Apple's new HomePod mini is set to become available for preorder on Nov. 6 before shipping to the public on Nov. 16.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Does this integration allow requests for Pandora to be made directly to the HomePod, or is an iPhone/iPod/iPad equipped with the Pandora app required to get Pandora songs to play on the HomePod? 

If this works directly with HomePod, this would be a significant improvement to HomePod and akin to Alexa "skills." 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    See Spotify? This is what happens when you put the work in rather than stand on the sidelines bitching to anybody who’ll listen. 
    leavingthebiggGG1jahbladeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    dewme said:
    Does this integration allow requests for Pandora to be made directly to the HomePod, or is an iPhone/iPod/iPad equipped with the Pandora app required to get Pandora songs to play on the HomePod? 

If this works directly with HomePod, this would be a significant improvement to HomePod and akin to Alexa "skills." 
    Both I think. You need the app in order to connect your account with HomePod. But then you can control it (your account) via Siri & HomePod. 
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Got a family member that is an Apple devotee and will be getting this person a HomePod Mini for Christmas. For this is iPhone > YouTube > Airplay > HomePod straightforward? Thanks. 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Japhey said:
    dewme said:

Both I think. You need the app in order to connect your account with HomePod. But then you can control it (your account) via Siri & HomePod. 
    I hope this is the case because it may portend what may ultimately become an App Store for HomePod (or App Store for HomeKit). I've been hoping for something like this, and the biggy sized HomePod surely has enough processing capability to make it happen.

What you're saying is consistent with the way Apple Music works on Amazon's Echo devices. With Alexa I can say "Alexa, play my Apple Music" or "Alexa, play my music," and if Apple Music is configured as the default music library it will play music from my Apple Music library. I'm still somewhat in awe that Apple provided such a first class integration of Apple Music with Alexa, because it really elevates the value of my Alexa devices. But I guess the fact that I'm paying $15/month for Apple Music is salve for Apple's wounds and Amazon isn't exactly getting rich on low-end Echo device sales. But I'm still grateful to both Apple and Amazon for making this happen. 

If you think about it, Apple teaming up with Amazon helps drive Apple Music subscriptions. Apple teaming up with Pandora probably helps drive HomePod sales, especially with the price of the HomePod mini making HomePods much more attainable for many more people. An Apple + Pandora mashup probably would not have made nearly as much sense without the $99 HomePod mini in the mix.
    watto_cobra