MagSafe Duo Charger gets first regulator approval from Korea

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
The announced but still forthcoming MagSafe Duo Charger from Apple has received its first known approval from a regulatory body, this time in Korea.

MagSafe Duo Charger (Source: Apple)
MagSafe Duo Charger (Source: Apple)

Apple's previously announced MagSafe Duo Charger still does not have an official release date, but it has now been approved by a regulatory body in Korea.

Unlike the ECG feature of the Apple Watch, which had to be approved by a health regulator based in South Korea, this approval comes from Korea's National Radio Research Agency. It's the equivalent of the US FCC and is the last barrier before the MagSafe Duo Charger can go on sale in the region.

Previously, NRRA approval has typically required two to four weeks testing. This would mean Apple probably submitted the MagSafe Duo Charger around the time Tim Cook announced it.

Detail from the Korean regulator's database
Detail from the Korean regulator's database

Apple itself has also imposed extensive regulations around all MagSafe accessories being made by third-party companies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    My favorite thing about this is 1 power outlet, 1 power adapter (20W), 1 USB-C lightning cable, and 1 MagSafe Duo gives you solid charging for your phone and watch. Great for people like me who are always running out of available outlets, and fantastic for travel. Charge your AirPods on the iPhone side, and any other lightning device with the cable that goes into the MagSafe Duo. It creates a solid 1-stop shop.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    My favorite thing about this is 1 power outlet, 1 power adapter (20W), 1 USB-C lightning cable, and 1 MagSafe Duo gives you solid charging for your phone and watch. Great for people like me who are always running out of available outlets, and fantastic for travel. Charge your AirPods on the iPhone side, and any other lightning device with the cable that goes into the MagSafe Duo. It creates a solid 1-stop shop.

Going to buy two on day 1. One for my nightstand and one for my travel kit. I presume I will travel once again.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If you don't care about charging speed .... take a gander at this charger on Amazon.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 4 of 4
    If you don't care about charging speed .... take a gander at this charger on Amazon.
    I would suggest this one is better as a home and fold-down travel solution, particularly as it incorporates its own built-in AppleWatch charger rather than you needing to install a separate puck. That’s why I bought it and it’s worked out great:

However, I’ll be buying a MagSafe Duo to replace it day one, as well!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra