Apple reportedly orders 2.5 million Apple Silicon MacBooks

Posted:
in General Discussion
Supply chain sources claim that Apple has ordered 2.5 million of its first Apple Silicon MacBook, or MacBook Pro models, to be produced by early 2021.

The MacBook Air may be one of the first Apple Silicon Macs
The MacBook Air may be one of the first Apple Silicon Macs

Ahead of Apple's November 10 event where it is expected to unveil the first Apple Silicon Macs, supply chain sources claim that orders for 2.5 million MacBooks have been placed with component manufacturers.

According to the Nikkei Asian Review, this is an initial production order. It is expected to be followed by an order for unspecified other MacBook designs that are believed to be due in the second quarter of 2021.

Despite using the term "MacBook," most recent rumors suggest that the initial Apple Silicon Mac will be a 13-inch MacBook Pro. It may launch alongside, or soon be followed, by a new 16-inch MacBook Pro, and a MacBook Air.

Unnamed sources told Nikkei Asian Review that the new MacBooks will be entirely manufactured in China. They also back up previous reports that the Apple Silicon processors involved will be made by TSMC and using its 5nm process.

The sources do not, though, refer to an "A14T" desktop processor that is now expected to be in an Apple Silicon Mac from February 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'll buy a MBP and keep it long past using it as part of my Mac collection going back to 1984.  It's definitely going to be a classic milestone.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Linux Manjaro is calling for me! Better libraries for high performance computing, an ever-increasing size of professional use software and readily available high-performance workstation hardware with specs overshadowing everything intel or Apple could (or to be honest will) deliver. I don't believe there will be a 128 Core Apple Silicon multi-chip-module processor, ever.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I’ll wait for the desktop version.  A laptop doesn’t do anything for me that I can’t already do on an iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    JWSC said:
    I’ll wait for the desktop version.  A laptop doesn’t do anything for me that I can’t already do on an iPad.
    I want both :)