Apple seeds macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 release candidate to developers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Thursday issued a macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 release candidate to registered developers, hinting that the macOS update is imminent.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The new macOS Big Sur beta can be acquired from the Apple Developer Center, or as an over-the-air update on devices with the proper configuration profile installed.

The release candidate version released Thursday comes just one week after Apple seeded the first beta version of macOS Big Sur 11.0.1. That confused the beta testing process, since macOS 11 is still unreleased despite running through 10 rounds of beta builds.

As far as why macOS Big Sur has been slow to release, it's likely due to the complexity of the redesign and the fact that the software update must support both Intel-based and upcoming Apple Silicon Mac devices.
It isn't clear whether macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 will be the first Big Sur update to release to the public, but it's also possible that 11.0.1 will be released separately as the version running on Apple Silicon devices when they debut.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly suggest users avoid installing betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the potential for data loss or other issues. It is instead recommended to install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data beforehand.
JimTheOwl

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mimsmims Posts: 24member
    Any word on the public beta? I like to go beta once the release candidate is out. Yeah, I'm a rebel. 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    My concern is all my legacy plugins for Logic Pro X and Abelton. 

I worry that I will be forced to buy new versions because of this major overhaul.

plus. I use Windows on my older Mac Pro with Bandcamp or whatever it’s called.

I’m guessing all that is going away and I’m to be forced to by a PC, which I have been avoiding for years since I could run Windows on my Mac Pro.

• Reply 3 of 11
    JimTheOwl said:

I worry that I will be forced to buy new versions because of this major overhaul.

I’m guessing all that is going away and I’m to be forced to by a PC, which I have been avoiding for years since I could run Windows on my Mac Pro.
    Nobody is forcing anything as you do not have to install Big Sur...
    edited November 2020 Rayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    JimTheOwl said:

So don't upgrade to Big Sur.  If your machine is working fine and you're happy with it, why rock the boat?

I have several Macs and I always have the option of trying it on non-crucial machines to see how it all works and to determine if it's worth upgrading my crucial workstations.

I also have to use Windows.  That alone was the reason I purchased a new iMac a month ago.  It will be my final Intel-based iMac and I'll be good for at least 5+ years.  After that, the market will have certainly stabilized and kinks worked out.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    mims said:
    Any word on the public beta? I like to go beta once the release candidate is out. Yeah, I'm a rebel. 

Apple could release the public beta tomorrow. Usually they release the public beta a few days after the developer beta in case there are bugs. I feel the public beta could be a bit more stable then the developer betas but then again Apple has been using the same build as the developer beta for the public betas in the past for Bug Sur so let's see.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    JimTheOwl said:

Let's see, it should work as long as the plug-ins are 64-bit compatible. I'm not sure what MacOS version you are currently using though.

It's called Boot Camp and maybe Apple found a way to run Windows via a virtual Machine or maybe Boot Camp on the new ARM Macs. We'll find out on November 10.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JimTheOwl said:

As the old saying goes, don’t let the door hit ‘ya where the Lord split ‘ya. 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 8 of 11
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I can wait for Big Sur I suppose.

I might wait until I get my hands on the expected Apple Silicon laptop. That will take me until at least February I'd expect. I can't see them delivering as an Xmas special. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    larryjw said:
    I can wait for Big Sur I suppose.

I might wait until I get my hands on the expected Apple Silicon laptop. That will take me until at least February I'd expect. I can't see them delivering as an Xmas special. 

Anything is possible. It will be interesting to see what they announce.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    JimTheOwl said:

As the old saying goes, don’t let the door hit ‘ya where the Lord split ‘ya. 
    Why have I not heard that saying before now? :smiley: 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    MorkMork Posts: 22member
    I installed this now and it seems quite good.

I had installed 11.0.1 previously which had cut the boot camp partition causing Windows 10 a failure to launch with a suspected drive problem, google advised many others had as well and tried reinstalling.  Happy to announce this version has fixed boot camp and Windows smiles again.
    h4y3sforgot username