First iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro Max hands-on videos illustrate vast size difference

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2020
Apple this week invited press outlets to take a first look at iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max before launch on Friday, loosing a deluge of photos, comparisons and initial analysis.

iPhone 12 mini
Source: The Verge

For the most part, the first batch of reports fail to provide much in the way of new information, though The Verge came equipped with older iPhone models for a few handy comparisons.

The publication pits the iPhone 12 mini against the iPhone 5S and iPhone 7. With its 5.4-inch screen, the mini is Apple's smallest flagship handset in years and many are looking forward to returning to a more pocketable form factor.

"And that smaller size is really nice to hold. iOS scales well to the 5.4-inch display, and the iPhone 12 design looks and feels just as nice on the slightly more compact version as it does on the full-sized model," The Verge reports. "If you liked the size of the the old 5 / 5S / SE, though, the 12 mini feels like the closest Apple has come to that style of device in a long time."

The report also takes a first pass at iPhone 12 Pro Max, offering side-by-side comparisons with the iPhone 12 and iPhone 6 Plus.

In its hands-on look, CNET calls the iPhone 12 mini the most interesting of Apple's new lineup, saying it "feels like a return to the idea of packing the most features into the smallest body."

TechCrunch was also provided access to the handsets, as well as the forthcoming MagSafe Duo charger that juices up both an iPhone and Apple Watch. The publication does not present much in the way of analysis and its comparison photos don't offer any revelations that haven't already been seen in Apple's own press materials.

Likewise, Engadget published a cursory overview of the smartphones that goes over basic information first announced in October. A pair of videos offer a look at the phones in action.

Apple is set to initiate preorders for iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max on on Friday, Nov. 6, at 5 a.m. Pacific, 8 a.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    I'm holding out for the iPhone 12 Mini "Pro" that comes in stainless steel.

btw: I can dream can't I?
    napoleon_phoneapartharry wildwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mobird said:

If you get that before I get my iPhone with a built-in toothpaste dispenser, I'm gonna be pissed.
    mobirddewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Wish I could get the mini blue in the 12 Pro Max Extreme Mega Zoom version.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    This mini is still too big. 5S form factor is the biggest I'd want to use. I'm on my 3rd SE (due to wear and tear). And why do we have to have the camera bump. The bumps don't let a phone sit flat on a desk. Aaaaand, bring back a flavor of touch ID; be it in the power button, or under the screen, it's absolutely necessary in these times of universal masking.
    Gobnuwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 10
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Touch ID is way down on my list: as my iPhone 11Pro Max opens it detects my mask and smoothly, as part of the launch, displays the passcode request. Same with ApplePay authorization. a bit of typing and I’m in or buying whatever. 

If there were no compromise on cost or other features I’d be neutral on its inclusion but I’d have to be convinced it’s implementation, either under screen or on a button was secure, reliable and did not elbow out battery or raise costs. 

I’ve preloaded the 12 Pro Max, looking forward to it. As much as I rely on my iPhone as a routine content presenter the size is just about right for a mobile device. 
    edited November 2020 twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mobird said:

That what I expecting in 2021 hopefully!
    mobird
  • Reply 7 of 10
    GobnuGobnu Posts: 17member
    This mini is still too big. 5S form factor is the biggest I'd want to use. I'm on my 3rd SE (due to wear and tear). And why do we have to have the camera bump. The bumps don't let a phone sit flat on a desk. Aaaaand, bring back a flavor of touch ID; be it in the power button, or under the screen, it's absolutely necessary in these times of universal masking.
    Right?!? Original SE size would have been perfect with full sized screen. Also, we can't be the only ones that would rather have the phone 1.5 mm thicker to lay flat and use the space for a larger battery??  I'm going to miss touch ID also, but I don't think my 5 year old SE is going to survive another battery replacement and I have to plug it in several times per day now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Gobnu said:
    Right?!? Original SE size would have been perfect with full sized screen. Also, we can't be the only ones that would rather have the phone 1.5 mm thicker to lay flat and use the space for a larger battery??  I'm going to miss touch ID also, but I don't think my 5 year old SE is going to survive another battery replacement and I have to plug it in several times per day now.
    To be fair (to Apple), at the same time as people complain about how absolutely ruined their phones are by that bump most of them get some sort of case for their phone anyways; and on top of it all never actually use their phones laying flat on a surface. So the "problem" with phones not laying flat is mostly theoretical, and when it's practical it's non-existent for most of us.
    williamlondonbalutwokatmewStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    The market has spoken.  What you're looking for is never coming back
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    JFC_PA said:
    Touch ID is way down on my list: as my iPhone 11Pro Max opens it detects my mask and smoothly, as part of the launch, displays the passcode request. 
    And the whole idea behind biometric authentication was to eliminate the need for those requests. Especially if you were using a password or an 8 digit passcode.

I suspect we'll see the under-screen sensor materialize or, more likely, the inclusion of the iPad Air's new power button sensor. I suspect the iPhone 12 engineering was too far along to retrofit it into the 12.
    watto_cobra