MagSafe Duo Charger, iPhone leather sleeve cost $129, and are 'coming soon'

Posted:
in General Discussion
The previously announced iPhone MagSafe leather sleeve with a cutout to show the time, plus the MagSafe Duo Charger for iPhone 12 and Apple Watch, are now listed on the Apple Store online for $129 each, and are "coming soon."

Apple's forthcoming MagSafe Duo Charger (left) and iPhone 12/iPhone 12 Pro Leather Sleeve with MagSafe
Apple's forthcoming MagSafe Duo Charger (left) and iPhone 12/iPhone 12 Pro Leather Sleeve with MagSafe

As Apple begins taking pre-orders for the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro Max, and the HomePod mini, the online Apple Store has also added a listing for two of the most-awaited accessories. Neither is available to purchase yet, and Apple lists them only as "coming soon."

However, the listing is also the first time that Apple has revealed pricing for either item. Both will be sold for $129, and both are eligible for 0% financing with monthly payment instalments on Apple Card.

The MagSafe Duo charger comes in only white. This folding travel unit, though, comes complete with both a MagSafe charger for an iPhone, and an Apple Watch charger built in.

The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro Leather Sleeve with MagSafe works with both models of phone, and will be sold in four colors. By default, Apple displays what it calls the Saddle Brown color. There is also a Baltic Blue option, plus Pink Citrus, and PRODUCT(RED).

Alongside the leather protective case, and the colors, this sleeve allows the time on iPhone 12 to be seen through a cutout. The iPhone alters the background color on the clock to match the choice of case.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Criers/Complainers: Here is a statement for y’all. 

“At $129 it doesn’t include a charging brick just a USB-C to Lighting cable”

How could they!  :o
    ronn
  • Reply 2 of 16
    7omr7omr Posts: 6member
    Who wants a sleeve for their phone?  It only makes it more trouble to access the phone. The longer I have the new iPhone 12 Pro the more I’m thinking this new form factor is a step back. It is bulky by comparison to the X and 11. And I have yet to see a good case. 
    chemengin1right_said_fredseanjbluefire1
  • Reply 3 of 16
    7omr said:
    Who wants a sleeve for their phone?  It only makes it more trouble to access the phone. The longer I have the new iPhone 12 Pro the more I’m thinking this new form factor is a step back. It is bulky by comparison to the X and 11. And I have yet to see a good case. 
    It’s not the form factor...

Did you know the iPhone 12 Pro is bigger compared to the X or 11 Pro? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    MagSafe charging cable: $39
    Apple Watch charging cable: $29
    20W Adapter $19
    Total $87

MagSafe Duo $129
    20W Adapter $19
    Total $148

Difference $61

You really, really have to want that MagSafe Duo to pull the trigger on that purchase.

flyingdpTheObannonFilechemengin1jcs2305entropys
  • Reply 5 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    20W Adapter $19
    Total $87

MagSafe Duo $129
    20W Adapter $19
    Total $148

Difference $61

You really, really have to want that MagSafe Duo to pull the trigger on that purchase.

You forgot to add an adapter for the Watch, but your point is still correct. Plus, in my opinion, that Duo looks kind of flimsy and cheap. Unless you actually need it for travel, it seems like a fanboy prop. 
    flyingdpTheObannonFilechemengin1bluefire1
  • Reply 6 of 16
    At half their asking price, say $69, I’d consider it but at $129 it can stay on their shelves.
    For now I will continue to do what I’ve successfully done since 2007: plug my phone in at night, unplug in the morning.
    TheObannonFilebluefire1
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Double post
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 8 of 16
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    7omr said:
    Who wants a sleeve for their phone?  It only makes it more trouble to access the phone. 
    Me. I use my iPhone without a case except when it is my pocket. Works great. I get the benefit of using the phone in its intended state and it is protected in my pocket. At home or at my desk, the phone is out it’s case. I’ve only ever dropped my iPhone when I’ve been taking it out of or putting it in my pocket. 
    TheObannonFileronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    20W Adapter $19
    Total $87

MagSafe Duo $129
    20W Adapter $19
    Total $148

Difference $61

Exactly. That’s ridiculously expensive (and I don’t say that lightly).

The cost of MagSafe and an Apple Watch charger isn’t even half the cost.

I appreciate the product, but the price tag is high.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    I wonder if this is the same "coming soon" as AirPower's "coming soon".
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    This year's Baltic Blue is horrible. It's so fugly.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Before COVID I traveled a lot, but still not sure it is worth the price to eliminate ONE cable and ONE charger from my travel kit...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    $129 for the charger is more justifiable than $129 for the case... That probably costs Apple <$15 to make. $129 for a case is completely absurd.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Question: If you NEED the 20w adapter to get the full 15w charge (all info says the 18w adapter isn’t enough) using just a MagSafe and a 12, will the MagSafe Duo still give that full 15w charge while adding an Apple Watch on top of it?
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    Japhey said:
    Question: If you NEED the 20w adapter to get the full 15w charge (all info says the 18w adapter isn’t enough) using just a MagSafe and a 12, will the MagSafe Duo still give that full 15w charge while adding an Apple Watch on top of it?
    That's my question too. I think I'll stick to my setup of a RavPower GaN dual-port charger with a USB-C port for my phone's cable and a USB-A port for my watch's cable. Less bulky, cheaper, and more versatile, since I can swap cables out as needed for other devices.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    jdb8167 said:
    7omr said:
    Who wants a sleeve for their phone?  It only makes it more trouble to access the phone. 
    Me. I use my iPhone without a case except when it is my pocket. Works great. I get the benefit of using the phone in its intended state and it is protected in my pocket. At home or at my desk, the phone is out it’s case. I’ve only ever dropped my iPhone when I’ve been taking it out of or putting it in my pocket. 
    +1

I have been considering going back to no case.I stopped using them on my phones until my XS Max. Once the phone got to this size and price I just felt better using a case. Apple leather cases give nice grip and decent protection, just a PITA to keep taking on and off when I am at home, or out and about. This is a prefect compromise.

This will work lovely with my new Pro max.. really looking forward to this.  I didn't pay attention to this during the keynote.. just saw the clock and colors changing and didn't think much of it.

hippowatto_cobra