Big Tech stocks are better repositories of wealth than bonds, says Jim Cramer

Posted:
in General Discussion
CNBC "Mad Money" host Jim Cramer said that Big Tech stocks like Apple, Alphabet, or Amazon are much better repositories of wealth than bonds, owing to their strong balance sheets and financial performance.

Credit: WikiCommons
Credit: WikiCommons

The TV personality and former hedge fund manager made that claim in a recent episode of the CNBC show, and used the Big Tech stocks as a example of why investors may need to "re-think [their] notions about stocks versus bonds."

"This year we're witnessing the passing of the torch. Bonds were the safest assets back in '82, back when treasuries yield double digits," Cramer said. "Now they're risky assets, maybe riskier, riskier than anyone thinks."

Cramer said that for many major companies that he follows, the equity side is much safer than bonds. That translates to big tech stocks like Facebook, Apple, Amazon and Microsoft being a "much safer repository for wealth."

Although he cautioned that this isn't the case for all companies, he said that the Big Tech stocks are sitting on more cash than most countries. Microsoft has $138 billion, Alphabet has $133 billion, and Apple has $192 billion.

"They survived The Great Recession, and what happened? They came out stronger. The countries didn't," Cramer said. "In the great pandemic, they're not just thriving but they are actually putting up unbelievable numbers."

Cramer added that Facebook, Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft are the "Fort Knoxes of our era."

Although the "Mad Money" host admitted that this is a brand new thesis, he said that the real lesson of the era is that "stocks are the ones that don't need government help here."

"That means if you're a young, wet-behind-the-ears broker at Goldman Sachs, I would tell you to forget all those bond ideas," Cramer concluded. "Just tell your clients to buy the stocks of terrific companies with nation state-sized balance sheets. You'll do much better with a heck of a lot less long-term risk and more dividends."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Almost everything is a better bet than bonds right now -- especially if you mean treasuries.

U.S. treasuries not only lose money each year because their rate of interest is less than that of inflation by roughly 1% or so.   So, in real money you lose about 1% a year owning a treasury.

But, if you don't hold that treasury to maturity you risk losing even more -- a lot more -- especially if its a longer term treasury like a 10 year bond.   That's because if and when these ultra low interest rates rise -- which they invariably will -- the bond sells for less than you bought it for.   And, the longer the duration the less it sells for.

So, you not only lose money each year on the interest, you can lose substantial principle as well but with no corresponding offset of potential gain .  

That forces people into risk assets like tech stocks (and others) because it's not only the only way to make money, it's the only way to not lose money.    So, it boosts those prices beyond what they would otherwise be in a normal, natural market that is based on economics rather than "Fed Puts'.

But since we are in the midst of a Fed Put and the Fed has promised to keep their foot on the gas pedal for the foreseeable future, things like tech stocks (and others) are the only possible way to make money in this very artificial market.   (And that's not to slam Trump -- it's been artificial since 2008).
    cat52Cyclisteapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    While I can only HOPE such to remain true, the fundamental flaw in the article is the fact it does not mention the greatest threat to that success story -- governmental interference with the free market in the form of antitrust lawsuits.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jdw said:
    While I can only HOPE such to remain true, the fundamental flaw in the article is the fact it does not mention the greatest threat to that success story -- governmental interference with the free market in the form of antitrust lawsuits.

Conversely, we also have the greatest threat to democracy coming from some of those same corporations.  

Reuters had to tell Facebook about groups using their platform to openly advocate replacing democracy with armed and violent revolt.     "Time for a civil war!"  
  • Reply 4 of 10
    As I have taught my children about statements like this:
    "It is absolutely, 100%, undeniably true!"
    "Until it isn't"
    cat52watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 10
    "Until it isn't"

Yeh, but then that's how the market works:   Money flows to that which is thought to be the best bet.   And, depending on the circumstances, the best bet is constantly changing.

Some people say to simply buy a "well diversified portfolio" (meaning you buy a little bit everything) and hang onto it with a death grip.   Which, in today's highly correlated equities environment is an apt analogy.

50 years ago my Investments professor taught me that I should "Buy low and sell high".   I've found that it tends to work well if you can pull it off.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    "Until it isn't"

Yeh, but then that's how the market works:   Money flows to that which is thought to be the best bet.   And, depending on the circumstances, the best bet is constantly changing.

Some people say to simply buy a "well diversified portfolio" (meaning you buy a little bit everything) and hang onto it with a death grip.   Which, in today's highly correlated equities environment is an apt analogy.

50 years ago my Investments professor taught me that I should "Buy low and sell high".   I've found that it tends to work well if you can pull it off.
    My comment was with regards to virtually all statements of this sort:
    "This is where to invest for the best return"
    "We will never sell your personal information"
    "We will only raise taxes on the rich"
    "Your data is only accessible to you"
    The list goes on and on...
    Absolutely, 100%, undeniably, guaranteed true...  Until it isn't.

Shows my age...  and cynicism.

Buy low, sell high is often easier said than done.  My approach is to buy stock in companies which produce products I like.  An approach which has served me quite well.

A potential problem with all the cash these companies have is (frankly) the government.  Once the workers have been bled dry, things like retirement accounts and corporate piggy banks will start to look like a ripe feeding ground for the insatiable hunger of the politicians.  If you think the government will never seize assets of this sort, I agree with you.  They absolutely, 100%, undeniably, guaranteed will not...  Until they do.  :-)
    cat52watto_cobraSpamSandwichJanNL
  • Reply 7 of 10
    "Until it isn't"

Buy low, sell high is often easier said than done.  My approach is to buy stock in companies which produce products I like.  An approach which has served me quite well.

A potential problem with all the cash these companies have is (frankly) the government.  Once the workers have been bled dry, things like retirement accounts and corporate piggy banks will start to look like a ripe feeding ground for the insatiable hunger of the politicians.  If you think the government will never seize assets of this sort, I agree with you.  They absolutely, 100%, undeniably, guaranteed will not...  Until they do.  :-)

Yes, I agree with you 100% on all the standard advice -- which you illustrated well.

As for the government raiding retirement accounts:   Actually the opposite has been going on for the past 40 years:   The PBGC (Pension Benefit Guarantee Company) picks up pension plans from companies who went belly up and could no longer fund their plans.   They pay the pensions that would otherwise have been lost and would have put serious hurt on a large chink of the retired middle class -- those who worked 20 -30 years counting on a pension when they retired.   Before it was  "no company, no pension" and all a company had to do was declare bankruptcy to escape its pension liabilities.   That's why the PBGC was created.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    "Until it isn't"

Yes, I agree with you 100% on all the standard advice -- which you illustrated well.

As for the government raiding retirement accounts:   Actually the opposite has been going on for the past 40 years:   The PBGC (Pension Benefit Guarantee Company) picks up pension plans from companies who went belly up and could no longer fund their plans.   They pay the pensions that would otherwise have been lost and would have put serious hurt on a large chink of the retired middle class -- those who worked 20 -30 years counting on a pension when they retired.   Before it was  "no company, no pension" and all a company had to do was declare bankruptcy to escape its pension liabilities.   That's why the PBGC was created.
    I did not mention pensions...  Retirement accounts (401K, IRA and such) are a different beast.  Don't get me started on the pensions...  
    ** Begin Rant**
    I live in Illinois and my taxes seem to go up every day and my wallet (and bank account) seem to get lighter every day because of the unfunded pensions.  Pensions need to be (MUST be) defined contribution and NOT defined benefit.  Period!  and before I get banned...
    **  End Rant**
    Have a wonderful day.  :-)

Oh yes...  My wonderful wife just reminded me:
    Who pays for the PBGC?  It was "supposed" to be paid for by the companies - sort of like an insurance policy.  Of course, since it was yet another poorly run government program (like flood insurance - don't get me started on that one!) the rates paid were far lower than any reasonable risk analysis would have called for.  As a result the PBGC is woefully underfunded and who (in the end) ends up paying out those pensions...  Ding-Ding!  You guessed it...  The taxpayer!  Yeah for us!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    "Until it isn't"

I did not mention pensions...  Retirement accounts (401K, IRA and such) are a different beast.  Don't get me started on the pensions...  
    ** Begin Rant**
    I live in Illinois and my taxes seem to go up every day and my wallet (and bank account) seem to get lighter every day because of the unfunded pensions.  Pensions need to be (MUST be) defined contribution and NOT defined benefit.  Period!  and before I get banned...
    **  End Rant**
    Have a wonderful day.  :-)

Oh yes...  My wonderful wife just reminded me:
    Who pays for the PBGC?  It was "supposed" to be paid for by the companies - sort of like an insurance policy.  Of course, since it was yet another poorly run government program (like flood insurance - don't get me started on that one!) the rates paid were far lower than any reasonable risk analysis would have called for.  As a result the PBGC is woefully underfunded and who (in the end) ends up paying out those pensions...  Ding-Ding!  You guessed it...  The taxpayer!  Yeah for us!

Yeh, my bad -- I misinterpreted what you said as pensions.

• Reply 10 of 10
    "Until it isn't"

You must be around my age. I’ve seen the same thing over and over myself and have lost huge amounts of money on “proven” top quality stocks, which then proceeded to crash and burn before my eyes.