tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    chia said:
    avon b7 said:

Apple definitely does not have any such 'broader or taller technology stack to work with than any other competitor' . That is ludicrous.

Ludicrous in the extreme.

I would like you to support that claim.
    Seriously? In that case, which other competitors author their own operating systems for several categories of products they sell in volume, just like Apple does with macOS for desktops, iOS/iPadOS for mobile devices, tvOS for set-top boxes AND watchOS for wearables?
    And how many of those competitors design the very microprocessors that go into their own products?
    Your claim and the claim I was replying to are not the same. 

He said Apple had a broader and taller technology stack than any other competitor. That is clearly false and I gave him some pointers to make that clear. I didn't go into depth because this thread isn't about those points. 

In fact my original post here was to correct inaccuracies in the original piece. I don't have the time to go through everything but I have supported what I said with the pertinent links and information. Whoever is reading this can then make their own decisions or ask for more detail but when people start ranting about lies, politics and what not while ignoring the facts I put on the table, their case collapses. 

As for your claim, don't forget that those OSes you mention are all basically the same OS with variants for each category. Also they operate in just one realm (CE). Volume has nothing to do with the technology stack. Nor does profit or politics. 

I mentioned Huawei simply because I know them as well as Apple and part of their business overlaps with Apple's but there are companies like Siemens that also have a huge technology stacks. Also far greater than Apple's.

It's important not to lose sight of what Apple does: consumer electronics + services. 

Apple doesn't have the DNA or the will to move out of its comfort zone and frankly why should it if it works for them?

But let's not go crazy and claim Apple is what it isn't. The TouchBar didn't change the world. Nor did a retina display. Nor did FaceID. Nor did the butterfly keyboard. 

The Internet changed the world. WiFi changed the world. As will 5G. These are technologies that are device independent. 

That is not a criticism of products that don't change the world but a reality check on Apple's part in it. And everybody else in the CE world. 

Apple is not into committing to long term projects. It produces and moves on. That is never going to work anywhere outside the CE realm but that isn't a problem in itself. 

Critical infrastructure, heavy industry etc all require massive commitment to product support over many, many years. Longer than the support Apple offers for its products. And Apple's support comes at a price: the idea that you have to be on the latest OS for support to work well. That's another debate worth looking at for a rainy day. 

Just because this is an Apple centric site doesn't mean we should lose sight of the non-Apple world or misrepresent Apple's place in it. 

Many of us are Apple users. I have never had a Windows machine as a work computer and I still remember System 6 but I try to be objective and look beyond Apple and take in what competitors are doing. I can appreciate that. 
    LOL.

Today, yet again, Apple shows that it does indeed have that stack.

Steven Sinofsky:

"This is the biggest announcement in “computers” in a long time. It represents a step function/generational change. Early on people will focus on the “transition” which is fine, but the real impact is the direction this takes things. So many initiatives coming together."

You really have no understanding of Apple, but here you are again, sitting in your Huawei Kiosk at Appleinsider, spewing misinformation, all so you can "feel good" about Huawei.

"Today, yet again, Apple shows that it does indeed have that stack" 

Today? We aren't talking about just today. It does not. Not in the sense of your wild claims, anyway. 

You are talking about an architectural change in computers. General purpose computers. Swapping out one architecture for another.

We'll see what comes of it and good luck to Apple but this is a architectural change. There will still be iMacs, Minis and MBPs. 

I have no 'Huawei Kiosk' but you need to open your perspective. Huawei has been using ARM ISA on its 'computer' chips for years. It also uses intel and AMD depending on market needs. It doesn't need to announce something today or tomorrow. It's here already

Its Ascend line is designed to scale from earbuds to HPC platforms. 

https://www.hotchips.org/hc31/HC31_1.11_Huawei.Davinci.HengLiao_v4.0.pdf

Where is the Apple equivalent? 

Where is the equivalent to MindSpore and DaVinci.?

Its HiCar Balong 5000 module is already shipping in cars. 

https://medium.com/@simturax/huawei-released-first-world-hicar-system-based-vehicle-fe0a622e8b42

Solar Energy 

https://solar.huawei.com/eu

Aviation 

Well, take a look for yourself... 

Can you see a pattern developing here? 

Apple remains a CE and services company. Great. Don't try to claim it has bigger, wider, taller stack than it actually does, though. 

All that might change someday and I know you like to fast forward to 'next year' this or that, but the reality is that Apple is not what you are claiming it is. Not by a long shot. 

Now, shall we get back to the main event? 

LOL,

Same as you ever were...

Funny. Apple is the world's largest company by valuation, is hugely profitable, and all of its products would fit on a large table.

Maybe you need to watch Apple's special event, so you can learn something about Apple...

I'm not impressed with a company that is so dependent on its connections to the CCP, but you certainly are.

EDIT:

Pretty sure that the new macs define owning the whole stack.
    Re-read what I said earlier. Nothing has changed. 

You made a ludicrous claim. You insisted and I provided support to what I was saying. You haven't been able to back your claim up because it simply isn't true.

Now, enjoy the event even though it won't provide you with anything to support your claims. 
    Uhm, whatever. Let the market decide.

Still, I'm impressed with how many low margin operations Huawei is involved in; lots of commodities.

Edit:

I'm not the only one that thinks that Apple has the best stack:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16226/apple-silicon-m1-a14-deep-dive

"Today, Apple has unveiled their brand-new MacBook line-up. This isn’t an ordinary release – if anything, the step that Apple is making today is something that hasn’t happened in 15 years: The start of a CPU architecture transition across their whole consumer Mac line-up.

Thanks to the company’s vertical integration across hardware and software, this is a monumental change that nobody but Apple can so swiftly usher in. The last time Apple ventured into such an undertaking in 2006, the company had ditched IBM’s PowerPC ISA and processors in favour of Intel x86 designs. Today, Intel is being ditched in favour of the company’s own in-house processors and CPU microarchitectures, built upon the ARM ISA."

Boom.
  • Reply 122 of 122
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Here is apple’s  challenge: how to persuade the installed base of millions upon  millions of pc users on windows who are locked  into ms office and its azure cloud + the 1000s of other x86 based applications, think of the many financial trading platforms all written for windows. It just isn’t going to happen. Ms excel  has millions of user who rely on visual basic code built in . Apple has no way of converting them over. Numbers is simply not capable of the supporting the functions they rely on. 

Nothing, NOTHING, gets Apple fans more excited about the company's future than when someone posts something littered with phrases like "There's no way they can …"

Past recipients of the "Apple: there's no way they can …" award include 

Palm (mobile OS crashed and burned)
    Microsoft (mobile OS reduced to a smouldering shell)
    Intel (Bob, I'm tellin ya, I can smell smoke …)

tmay