2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    mjtomlin said:
    mcdave said:
    mjtomlin said:
    eriamjh said:
    I think that the M1 will not be used in the forthcoming iMac, unless an even bigger heat sink and fan will allow them to clock it even higher.   

It will be some even more jacked up processor.  M1X, if you will.    

I can’t imagine an iMac without a 32 or 64 GB RAM ceiling.  

Current entry level 21.5" iMac is limited to 16GB RAM, so this SoC could eventually make its way into that model, but I don't think we'll see an iMac with Apple Silicon until there's more than a single configuration.

I suspect that an M1X will come out in early Spring with 6/4 core CPU, 12 core GPU, 16/32 RAM. This SoC will be an upgrade option for the mini and 13" MacBook Pro (at which time, the Intel models will be dropped). It will also be used in the entry level 16" MacBook Pro. Both the M1 and M1X will be used in 21.5" iMac models.
    An M1X would easily outperform any current 16” MBP in CPU and all but the 5600M in graphics so would make sense in the larger models.

I also think an M2 will be released mid-year which could cover off the iMac Pro (if my extrapolations are correct).
    That would leave the Mac Pro as an expensive example of how we used to do PCs. Which, I think, was Apple’s plan all along.

Obviously, we don't know know where or how Apple is taking this naming scheme, but I'd have to believe - based off the A-series - that each number, M1, M2, M3, etc., is a generation marker. So just as with the A13 to the A14, the jump in specs isn't going to be as great. What we'll see is updated IP blocks, CPU, GPU, ISP, I/O controllers, etc. The performance differences will come within SoC variants of each generation. M1, M1A, M1B, M1C, etc. (Although probably not that many in the first generation.)

So something along the lines of...
    M1; 4/4 CPU, 8 GPU, 8/16 RAM, 8x PCIe
    M1A; 6/4 CPU, 12 GPU, 16/32 RAM, 16x PCIe
    M1B; 8/4 CPU, 16 GPU, 32/64 RAM, 16x PCIe
    M1C; 10/4 CPU, 20 GPU, 64/128 RAM, 32x PCIe

And there might be [binning] variations within each of those just as we have 7/8 GPU in the M1. There also would not be a need to differentiate mobile from desktop because these SoCs are designed to be extremely efficient when they need to be; perform based on thermals (and power supply).

I also think that the SoCs for the iMac Pro and Mac Pro, could be an entirely different series; P1, P2, P3, etc. That are designed to support discreet RAM and GPUs. And of course, have extremely high performance; 32/48/64 CPU cores.
    Too many options. I think we’re going to see simplification instead, especially around core counts and RAM config. If developers can optimise apps for fewer RAM profiles we still get the performance without the need for user upgrades. All users want is performance and Apple will be best placed to provide it with fewer configs.
    watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 22 of 22
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    mcdave said:
    mjtomlin said:
    mcdave said:
    mjtomlin said:
    eriamjh said:
    I think that the M1 will not be used in the forthcoming iMac, unless an even bigger heat sink and fan will allow them to clock it even higher.   

It will be some even more jacked up processor.  M1X, if you will.    

I can’t imagine an iMac without a 32 or 64 GB RAM ceiling.  

Current entry level 21.5" iMac is limited to 16GB RAM, so this SoC could eventually make its way into that model, but I don't think we'll see an iMac with Apple Silicon until there's more than a single configuration.

I suspect that an M1X will come out in early Spring with 6/4 core CPU, 12 core GPU, 16/32 RAM. This SoC will be an upgrade option for the mini and 13" MacBook Pro (at which time, the Intel models will be dropped). It will also be used in the entry level 16" MacBook Pro. Both the M1 and M1X will be used in 21.5" iMac models.
    An M1X would easily outperform any current 16” MBP in CPU and all but the 5600M in graphics so would make sense in the larger models.

I also think an M2 will be released mid-year which could cover off the iMac Pro (if my extrapolations are correct).
    That would leave the Mac Pro as an expensive example of how we used to do PCs. Which, I think, was Apple’s plan all along.

Obviously, we don't know know where or how Apple is taking this naming scheme, but I'd have to believe - based off the A-series - that each number, M1, M2, M3, etc., is a generation marker. So just as with the A13 to the A14, the jump in specs isn't going to be as great. What we'll see is updated IP blocks, CPU, GPU, ISP, I/O controllers, etc. The performance differences will come within SoC variants of each generation. M1, M1A, M1B, M1C, etc. (Although probably not that many in the first generation.)

So something along the lines of...
    M1; 4/4 CPU, 8 GPU, 8/16 RAM, 8x PCIe
    M1A; 6/4 CPU, 12 GPU, 16/32 RAM, 16x PCIe
    M1B; 8/4 CPU, 16 GPU, 32/64 RAM, 16x PCIe
    M1C; 10/4 CPU, 20 GPU, 64/128 RAM, 32x PCIe

And there might be [binning] variations within each of those just as we have 7/8 GPU in the M1. There also would not be a need to differentiate mobile from desktop because these SoCs are designed to be extremely efficient when they need to be; perform based on thermals (and power supply).

I also think that the SoCs for the iMac Pro and Mac Pro, could be an entirely different series; P1, P2, P3, etc. That are designed to support discreet RAM and GPUs. And of course, have extremely high performance; 32/48/64 CPU cores.
    Too many options. I think we’re going to see simplification instead, especially around core counts and RAM config. If developers can optimise apps for fewer RAM profiles we still get the performance without the need for user upgrades. All users want is performance and Apple will be best placed to provide it with fewer configs.

4 SoCs across their entire line of Macs is too many options? Do you think they’re just going to have the M1 for the Air, 13” Pro, and mini, and then an M1X for the 16” Pro, and iMacs? I think each Mac model will have two levels of performance (SoCs) that a user can choose from. So we could see something like...

13” Pro: M1, M1A
    16” Pro: M1B, M1C
    mini: M1, M1B
    21.5” iMac: M1A, M1B
    27” iMac: M1B, M1C
    watto_cobra