HomePod mini starts shipping to customers for Monday delivery

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
The HomePod mini, Apple's pint-sized smart speaker, has started to ship to early customers ahead of its release on Monday, with customers receiving shipping notifications on their orders.

The HomePod mini
The HomePod mini

Pre-orders for the HomePod mini commenced on November 6, with the earliest customers managing to secure deliveries for November 16 or the following days. On Sunday, in anticipation of deliveries that will start from Monday, Apple has commenced informing customers that their orders are starting to ship.

Users of the Apple Store app are seeing updates to their order, as it progressed from "Preparing to Ship" to "Shipped," followed by messages from delivery firms notifying of the upcoming delivery. AppleInsider confirmed the change in status with its own HomePod mini orders.

An example of a confirmed HomePod mini shipment in the Apple Store app.
An example of a confirmed HomePod mini shipment in the Apple Store app.

The HomePod mini is currently available to order in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Spain, the UK, and the United States. Customers in China, Mexico, and Taiwan will also be able to buy the product before the end of 2020.

For some buyers of the HomePod mini, the speakers arrived earlier than Apple's intended street date for the device. In one post to the Reddit r/HomePod community, a poster reveals they had a pair of the speakers delivered early on Sunday, due to it being shipped early as an order from Best Buy, rather than from Apple directly.

Measuring 3.3 inches tall, the HomePod mini is a smaller version of the full-size HomePod, offering the same smart functionality in a more compact and price-conscious package. Able to be used in a stereo pair, the speaker can respond to Siri requests, play a variety of music and podcasts, and can even be used to control smart home accessories.

The inclusion of the U1 chip enables it to use Ultra Wideband, which will be initially used for detecting nearby iPhones placed in proximity to it, but could have enhanced capabilities down the line for "AirTags" and other products. It also functions as a hub for a HomeKit network, with added Thread connectivity available for use with future smart home appliances.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team. For the lowest HomePod mini prices, be sure to visit the AppleInsider Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    My two are arriving tomorrow at my uk address but then being forwarded on to me in Kuwait so gonna be another week to ten days before I actually get them.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 12
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Early reviews look good. I'm looking forward to the pair I ordered arriving, can't wait to rip out the two echo dots.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Never had an echo, will see if this actually works in dolby atmos as the big brother Homepod really works like a champs...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I wanted to buy 4, but it wouldn't let me, so I decided to buy none for now and wait for reviews rather than have to receive two shipments.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I wanted to buy 4, but it wouldn't let me, so I decided to buy none for now and wait for reviews rather than have to receive two shipments.
    Strange 
    Rayz2016mike1pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    KBuffett said:
    Strange 
    Why strange? I don't want to sit in my house for two whole days waiting for two separate deliveries. Maybe you have lots of extra time to waste, but I don't.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Got an Apple Store app notification this morning, saying my Space Grey and White ones will be delivered tomorrow, and they arrived this morning.

Sound is superb for such a small device. Siri is responsive, even in a loud-ish room. Good bass and highs.

Compared to my original HomePod it sounds a little less "full". Not easy to explain, but the sound seems a bit thinner than the original. I guess the original was such a beast of a speaker that there is going to be an expected difference. If this is your first HomePod, you won't notice the difference, and you will be very happy with it.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Originally it was supposed to arrive on Thursday, but it's just arrived! Lovely little device that surprises the bass coming out of it. Previously in my kitchen I had a Jambox that cost more than this and sounded shit in comparison, damn I love this little speaker.

BTW, it's quite a bit smaller than I expected, very unobtrusive. Now I want one for the rest of my rooms.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    KBuffett said:
    Strange 
    Why strange? I don't want to sit in my house for two whole days waiting for two separate deliveries. Maybe you have lots of extra time to waste, but I don't.

Both UPS and FedEx allow you to change the delivery day of a shipment, so if your two orders would arrive a couple of days apart, you could have had them delivered together.
    williamlondonpscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Never had an echo, will see if this actually works in dolby atmos as the big brother Homepod really works like a champs...
    Only the HomePod supports Dolby 5.1, 7.1, and Atmos. The HomePod mini doesn't.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jagbatth said:
    I ordered two HomePod minis from Adorama with the $10 off using AI coupon code and they still have not shipped yet?? 
    Saying they are on “BACKORDER”
    Guess this is what I get for trying to save an extra $10. 
    I’m so upset my HomePod mini has not shipped yet! 
    Same story here! Just says backordered. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I’m sorry that this happened to you. You’ll get thru it, I promise. 

🙄
    edited November 2020 mike1williamlondonKBuffettwatto_cobra