Will the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" feature work with a Sapphire Pulse RX580 Graphics Card ?

Posted:
in macOS
Hello all... hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Will the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" feature work with Sapphire Pulse RX580 graphics card on a MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2020) with 128GB ram and 1TB SSD. I have gotten into issues with the macOS last Thursday, so I have re-installed macOS Mojave using a USB installer method, but I'm still having glitchy software issues. My problems started with a computer freeze and a forced restart last Thursday... could I... revert back to when all was working perfectly on Wednesday.

I have already tried to get into Restore mode... but I waited 10mins and nothing happened... could the fact that I no longer have the video card it came with be the issue ?

Any comments or advice most welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you've got a video signal at all, including the Apple logo, when booting into Recovery, I can't imagine why the non-factory video card would make a difference to a Time Machine backup restore.
    amcliz
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I have video signal... for sure... and when I start up my computer in the mornings I always get a white screen with the progress bar and Apple logo as the system loads up... but earlier when I tried to go into Recovery Mode, my screen stayed black for about then minutes... then I flickered... the on button went from on standby to white as in signal found... but just stayed back... I gave it 10 mins... and gave up... could it take longer..?

Also... could this approach to roll back my system to when all was working perfectly work you think...? I have done a fresh macOS Mojave install with all the latest security updates... but now loads of things not really working as they were... very strange stuff :(

Thank you again for all your excellent and expert input.

Regards,
    Anthony
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If you've got a video signal at all, including the Apple logo, when booting into Recovery, I can't imagine why the non-factory video card would make a difference to a Time Machine backup restore.
    I have actually just now for the feature to work and I can now see how I can revert back to when the OS was behaving correctly last week... but as I have never done this before... I assumed I could revert back to the previous working of the macOS only.... but as I select the hard drive that I have been working off... it's warning me it will erase all the contents on the drive.. all my apps and I have work files on that SSD also... this feels more like a clean install than a restore... am I right in what I'm thinking...?

Currently, I'm performing another re-install of the macOS as I did previously using USB, but maybe this time will be more successful.

Please advise and revert with any comments or suggestions if you get a chance.

Thank you Mike.... 

Regards,
    Anthony
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Apologies all... typo error... my computer is MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) and not 2020 as I incorrectly  stated above.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    amcliz said:
    Apologies all... typo error... my computer is MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) and not 2020 as I incorrectly  stated above.
    Oh, 2010? Yeah, not having a factory card in there can cause all kinds of problems.