Twitter launches disappearing 'Fleets' feature globally

Posted:
in General Discussion
Twitter on Tuesday started rolling out its new disappearing tweet feature, dubbed "Fleets," globally for all users.

Credit: Twitter
Credit: Twitter

The new ephemeral tweets bear a striking resemblance to disappearing Snapchat or Instagram Stories, and work similarly. "Fleets" are rolling out globally to both iOS and Android users starting on Tuesday, and should be available to everyone within a few days.

Twitter hopes that the new feature will take some of the pressure off of users in sharing more casual thoughts or statements. Users can share text or video clips and respond to tweets with a "Fleet" that disappears after 24 hours. "Fleets" can't be liked or retweeted, however.

"Fleets are for sharing momentary thoughts - they help start conversations and only stick around for 24 hours. Through our tests in Brazil, Italy, India, and South Korea, we learned Fleets helped people feel more comfortable joining the conversation - we saw people with Fleets talk more on Twitter," said Twitter's Joshua Harris and Sam Haveson in a blog post.

That thing you didn't Tweet but wanted to but didn't but got so close but then were like nah.

We have a place for that now-- Fleets!

Rolling out to everyone starting today. pic.twitter.com/auQAHXZMfH

-- Twitter (@Twitter)

"Because they disappear from view after a day, Fleets helped people feel more comfortable sharing personal and casual thoughts, opinions, and feelings. These are early findings from our tests and we're excited to learn more about how Fleets are used by you," Harris and Haveson wrote.

In most ways, "Fleets" will be very familiar to users of Snapchat or Instagram Stories. There are the same options for overlaying text on background colors or videos, and users can respond to fleet with a DM or emoji. Like on those other platforms, "Fleets" will show up in a top bar on a user's timeline. Users can also navigate to another person's profile to find their "Fleets" for the day.

Similar to Instagram but unlike Snapchat, there's no current indicator to let you know if someone screenshots your "Fleet." So while the feature itself may be ephemeral, there's nothing stopping someone from snapping a permanent image of your "Fleets."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    First they interfere with the election by blocking the hunter biden laptop story, then they release a feature named after an enema product (Fleet Enema). Twitter is on a roll lol.
    edited November 2020 zeus423hexclockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    This feature will probably disappear soon, too.
    dysamoriaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    First they interfere with the election by blocking the hunter biden laptop story [...]
    Riiiiiiiight....
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 7
    First they interfere with the election by blocking the hunter biden laptop story, then they release a feature named after an enema product (Fleet Enema). Twitter is on a roll lol.
    Just no. GTFO with your nonsense, made-up conspiracy theories. There was no Hunter Biden laptop story. Just a blind shopkeeper plant provided a story by Juliani who is known to have been in contact with Russian agents. Full stop. The American people rejected Trump in a "landslide" (using Trump's own language for describing 306 electoral votes), and Biden won the popular vote as well, something Trump has failed to do, twice. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7

zeus423 said:
    This feature will probably disappear soon, too.
    Gosh I hope so. It's rather pointless. We asked for an Edit button, we got Fleets. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    If anybody thinks these "fleets" really go away, I have some waterfront property in Arizona about which I'd like to talk to you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Just no. GTFO with your nonsense, made-up conspiracy theories. There was no Hunter Biden laptop story. Just a blind shopkeeper plant provided a story by Juliani who is known to have been in contact with Russian agents. Full stop. The American people rejected Trump in a "landslide" (using Trump's own language for 06 electoral votes), and Biden won the popular vote as well, something Trump has failed to do, twice. 

@StrangeDays Um, are you feeling ok? You keep making strange replies to my posts. You may want to take a few deep, slow breaths.

The hunter biden laptop story was not made up. I didn't think it was possible for someone to actually believe it was fake. If it was fake, why did biden lawyers try to get the laptop back? Why did their business partner, who was on the email chain, who has served in the military (not just a random guy), corroborate that the emails found on there were real? Did someone fake the pics they found on there of hunter smoking crack? Did someone fake the video of hunter getting a footjob while smoking crack? (I can send you the link to the video if you'd like, but I wouldn't recommend watching it.) But.. according to you everything is... russian agents!! Lol.

I'm not sure why you’re assuming the election is over, especially since all this evidence of voter fraud has come out. Maybe that's russians again too? Lol. Probably not though, since there have been multiple signed affidavits describing US postal workers breaking the law to promote biden votes. But maybe it's all a coincidence that all of the "glitches," user errors, polling irregularities, dead voters, and statistical anomalies are all in favor of biden. On second thought, it's statistically impossible for that to all be coincidental. I wonder when biden is going to concede. He's taking his sweet time though, that's for sure.
    edited November 2020