Apple may be saving billions in component costs by switching to M1 Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Beats said:

Apple didn't add any new features which is a shame. Was hoping to see new designs, new App Store, cellular chips, FaceID etc.
    Neural engine?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Rough as they inevitably are, I found these numbers useful. A cost saving will always be useful to Apple but there are signs, at least in the UK, that they are passing some of it on to the end user.

For example, Mac mini with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD:
    Apple Silicon £899
    Intel Silicon £1099
    (Another imperfect set of numbers)

The most exciting thing about this to me is that Apple seems to have opened up a sufficiently large performance gap that the average customer will notice it. Suddenly there's a benefit obvious to everyone of paying a little more for an Apple computer.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,895moderator
    dewme said:
    Is he factoring R&D for the M1 into that figure?
    I doubt it, but keep in mind that Apple already had a sizable in-house investment for their A-series processors and probably now gets to share a lot of the R&D burden and benefits across multiple product groups. The net cost of the total R&D will be higher going forward, but the overall benefits, strategic and tactical, should be enormous. The reduced processor and component costs are gravy.
    Plus Apple is going to need to develop something equivalent to Tesla’s full self driving computer, and the development of the M series is likely a step along that path. So the R&D costs are likely shared on that end too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 24
    I wonder if we'll see a device with 2 M# chips. Now that would be cool.
    watto_cobra