Apple secures rights to 'Tetris' film starring Taron Egerton

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new film based on the classic video game "Tetris" will be making its way to Apple TV+ in the future.

Apple secures rights to 'Tetris' film starring Taron Egerton

While little is known about the "Tetris" show currently, it has been revealed that Taron Egerton ("Rocketman") will star as Henk Rogers, a Dutch video game designer who secured the rights to the original "Tetris" game. Rogers later went on to license the game to Nintendo and was involved in a dispute that arose over copyright in the 1980s.

According to Deadline, the rest of the cast is still being finalized.

Jon S. Baird, known for his critically acclaimed film "Filth," will direct. The film is being produced and financed by Matthew Vaughn's Marv Films and Leonard Blavatnik's AI Film.

"Tetris" will join Apple's growing slate of films, which includes enlightening documentaries, such as "Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds," riveting dramas like Tom Hank's "Greyhound," and thoughtful comedies like "On the Rocks."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    Sounds like a docudrama.

At first I was worried it was going to be like Battleship… we'll just squeeze in one short scene that sort of relates to the board game.  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    For a brief moment I thought it might be an Apple TV+ version of The Queen’s Gambit. Which is very good btw.
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    mknelson said:
    Sounds like a docudrama.

At first I was worried it was going to be like Battleship… we'll just squeeze in one short scene that sort of relates to the board game.  :D
    Egerton seems to be a pretty smart actor who makes decent choices so I'm looking forward to this.

I'd also like to see a decent Tetris game that's full screen and doesn't have a bunch of crap around the game area.

My favorite version was on my Mac LC, but when the HD died, I lost it. But it was the best version I've ever seen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    The actual story of the creator is quite interesting, so this could be a good treatment.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    I can see a story that goes along neatly with all the pieces fitting then all falling apart very quickly at the end.
    christophbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mknelson said:
    Sounds like a docudrama.

Me too! I saw the headline and my first thought was The Emoji Movie!
    watto_cobra