Apple releases new macOS Big Sur build for specific Mac models

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has released a new build of macOS 11.0.1 for certain Mac users who have not yet installed macOS Big Sur on their devices.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The new build comes about a week after Apple released the previous macOS Big Sur build, 20B29. The build released on Thursday has a build number of 20B50. AppleInsider has confirmed its availability in Apple's developer portal, under the mainline release section.

Although it isn't clear what's different in the new macOS Big Sur build, macOS 11.0.1 was the launch version of Big Sur for everyone Mac except those equipped with an M1 chip. Because of that, the 20B50 build may have under-the-hood improvements exclusive to Apple Silicon.

The new software update can be downloaded on Mac devices needing the update, using the Software Update menu in System Preferences.

Apple's macOS Big Sur is a major update to the Mac operating system, and introduces a complete design overhaul, new widget options, significant updates to Safari and other apps, and some features to kickstart the Apple Silicon transition.

The device-specific macOS builld comes a day after Apple released iOS 14.2.1, an update that contained bug fixes for certain iPhone 12 models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Damn Apple!! I hope (I'm sure) you can untie all these knots and get everything back in sync.

Who else can introduce a new hardware platform, do a major Mac OS release for two unique hardware platforms, and everything else they have going on in this company - INCREDIBLE!!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    THANK YOU!!!

I have been dealing with Apple Support for 3 days now attempting to install Big Sur and 11.0.1 finally installed.

For reference, I have a MacBook Pro 16", 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB