Apple's MagSafe wallet review: finally solves the unified iPhone and wallet issue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    It's perfect?
    Huh?   I would say that it's nice and it's step forward, but not perfect.

For one, it doesn't hold enough.  What do you do, for instance, if you need to carry cash?
    For another, it sounds really awkward that, to use a card you have to pull the phone out of your pocket, remove the wallet from the phone then remove the card from the wallet -- then stick the card into the reader.    I only have two hands and it sounds pretty awkward as you try to negotiate a check out line.
    For another,, 3 cards simply isn't enough for most people:   They need to carry credit cards, drivers licenses, insurance cards (for medical emergencies) and often other cards and documents such professional licenses and such.   For this last, Apple could help by letting people add those cards to their phone -- but that involves coordinating with government and private agencies to get them to recognize such digital documents.   And that could be hard.

The hang up is that most current wallet cases (and all of Apple's) are also equally inconvenient to use -- mostly because they rely on a flap that goes over the screen of the phone -- so you have to open your wallet simply to use your phone.   That's just plain stupid.

I stumbled upon this one on EBay and myself and my grandson have been using it and loving it for the past year.   It leaves the screen of the phone open, provides for plenty of storage as well as protection for the phone, its easy to use because you simply flip the back open to get to your cards and, while not thin, does not add a lot of bulk or weight.   And, for $7.00, what's not to like?  I have no intention of switching (or going back to carrying a separate wallet) because it is both highly functional and highly convenient to use.

Leather-Flip-Wallet-Card-Holder-Case-For-Apple-iPhone-11-Pro-XS-Max-X-8-7-6-Plus

Looks pretty good.  Care to share a link to the eBay seller?
  • Reply 22 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    shamino said:
    Looks nice, but I want to see some tests about how well it will shield the magnetic stripes on your cards from the magnets in the MagSafe connector.  And from the charging field, for that matter.
    And you assume this never crossed Apple engineer’s minds when they were developing this product? Really? They didn’t care if their case erased your credit card? Really? 
    Why jump down his (?) throat?  It's a valid concern.  Obviously Apple designed with this in mind, but what's wrong with waiting for independent confirmation?  Has Apple never done anything wrong with a version 1 product?  (as if)
    And vegans would do the same to vegetarians (exploiting animals even if you don't mean to kill them, think 'bees'), but do we really think this forum is the place for these sorts of comments/arguments? But, people love to prove themselves superior by stating the attitudes in themselves on a public forum which places them above others.

Big effing yawn.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 23 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    shamino said:
    Looks nice, but I want to see some tests about how well it will shield the magnetic stripes on your cards from the magnets in the MagSafe connector.  And from the charging field, for that matter.
    And you assume this never crossed Apple engineer’s minds when they were developing this product? Really? They didn’t care if their case erased your credit card? Really? 
    I have no way of knowing what Apple's developers did or didn't consider when designing the product.  I also don't know what testing they did or the results of those tests.  For all I know, they may be thinking that merchants these days are all using chip- and contactless readers so there isn't a need to care about the magnetic stripe.  Or they may have an understanding (which may or may not be correct) about how strong a field needs to be in order to affect data on a stripe.  We have absolutely no way of knowing any of this because they didn't publish any of it.  Their published marketing materials say nothing whatsoever  about magnetic shielding.

While I'm sure Apple doesn't intend to erase your cards, mistakes and oversights can and do occur.  Hence my desire to see a reviewer test this and publish something definitive.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 24 of 56
    That is NOT a wallet... it’s a card holder at best.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacMacQuadra840avsvanstrom
  • Reply 25 of 56
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    I can see why people like these sorts of wallets, and lots of posters here use them, but in my case I would prefer a separate wallet. If you misplace your phone / wallet, how do you call the bank to cancel your cards before someone goes on a shopping spree?
  • Reply 26 of 56
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    lkrupp said:
    shamino said:
    Why jump down his (?) throat?  It's a valid concern.  Obviously Apple designed with this in mind, but what's wrong with waiting for independent confirmation?  Has Apple never done anything wrong with a version 1 product?  (as if)
    And vegans would do the same to vegetarians (exploiting animals even if you don't mean to kill them, think 'bees'), but do we really think this forum is the place for these sorts of comments/arguments? But, people love to prove themselves superior by stating the attitudes in themselves on a public forum which places them above others.

Big effing yawn.
    I didn’t get the sense that any of the people on this thread that actually identified as vegetarian or vegan were acting superior at all. 
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacsvanstrom
  • Reply 27 of 56
    It's perfect?

For one, it doesn't hold enough.  What do you do, for instance, if you need to carry cash?
    For another, it sounds really awkward that, to use a card you have to pull the phone out of your pocket, remove the wallet from the phone then remove the card from the wallet -- then stick the card into the reader.    I only have two hands and it sounds pretty awkward as you try to negotiate a check out line.
    For another,, 3 cards simply isn't enough for most people:   They need to carry credit cards, drivers licenses, insurance cards (for medical emergencies) and often other cards and documents such professional licenses and such.   For this last, Apple could help by letting people add those cards to their phone -- but that involves coordinating with government and private agencies to get them to recognize such digital documents.   And that could be hard.

The hang up is that most current wallet cases (and all of Apple's) are also equally inconvenient to use -- mostly because they rely on a flap that goes over the screen of the phone -- so you have to open your wallet simply to use your phone.   That's just plain stupid.

I stumbled upon this one on EBay and myself and my grandson have been using it and loving it for the past year.   It leaves the screen of the phone open, provides for plenty of storage as well as protection for the phone, its easy to use because you simply flip the back open to get to your cards and, while not thin, does not add a lot of bulk or weight.   And, for $7.00, what's not to like?  I have no intention of switching (or going back to carrying a separate wallet) because it is both highly functional and highly convenient to use.

Leather-Flip-Wallet-Card-Holder-Case-For-Apple-iPhone-11-Pro-XS-Max-X-8-7-6-Plus

I had this exact wallet for my last phone and it definitely is a cheaper bonded pleather. The biggest issue with this wallet is you cannot wirelessly charge with it. I want to wirelessly charge my new iphone 12 pro max, so i need a case that allows for that and a charger that matches up with the size of this phone (the one i previously bought does not). 
    randominternetpersonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 56
    GeeAye said:
    As a vegetarian - which is not a rare thing in this world - my issue is the leather. I can understand the issue with silicon being grippy but I'd buy a knock off faux leather one even if it had a limited life span. I still like the wallets which cover the screen as my experience is that my screen stays mark free and it survives face first drops. They fold back behind the phone so I'm not sure about why that would make one feel silly using it.

I recognize your concern and believe it is valid.   For myself, I rationalize the use of leather by telling myself that the poor cow wasn't murdered to get it's skin but for it's meat to feed the carnivores who mistakenly believe they need meat to be healthy and strong.
    My teeth say I am an omnivore. Meat tastes good, plants taste good. Eat whatever the hell you want and leave everyone else alone about it. 
    edited November 2020 anantksundaram
  • Reply 29 of 56
    hexclock said:
    I can see why people like these sorts of wallets, and lots of posters here use them, but in my case I would prefer a separate wallet. If you misplace your phone / wallet, how do you call the bank to cancel your cards before someone goes on a shopping spree?
    Seriously?  I would either contact them through their web site or I would use my land line or I would borrow my wife's phone.

I agree with the premise of the review: I'm less likely to lose/misplace a phone+wallet combo than to lose on or the other separately.  In fact, this happened to me a few years ago.  I lost my wallet when I was out of town and didn't realize I had misplaced it until I got home.  I probably used my phone 100 times between when the wallet fell out of my jacket pocket and when I realized it was gone.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    hexclock said:
    Seriously?  I would either contact them through their web site or I would use my land line or I would borrow my wife's phone.

I agree with the premise of the review: I'm less likely to lose/misplace a phone+wallet combo than to lose on or the other separately.  In fact, this happened to me a few years ago.  I lost my wallet when I was out of town and didn't realize I had misplaced it until I got home.  I probably used my phone 100 times between when the wallet fell out of my jacket pocket and when I realized it was gone.
    What is this “land line” of which you speak? ;) I was exaggerating for effect. Still, I’d hate to lose BOTH things at the same time, but hey, I’m old school. 
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 31 of 56
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    hexclock said:
    No one else you know owns a phone?  Or even going to the nearest branch in person?  As discussed in the article, I find these arguments against putting your phone and wallet together a bit ridiculous.  I pay far more attention to my phone than my wallet, and have lost/misplaced it far more often because of that (and not noticed for longer).
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Ebay is a crazy place.  I searched for "iphone wallet case" and you immediately find dozens or leather-looking cases for $12 or so with free shipping.  HTF do these sellers make any money? 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    shamino said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    GeeAye said:
    As a vegetarian - which is not a rare thing in this world - my issue is the leather. I can understand the issue with silicon being grippy but I'd buy a knock off faux leather one even if it had a limited life span. I still like the wallets which cover the screen as my experience is that my screen stays mark free and it survives face first drops. They fold back behind the phone so I'm not sure about why that would make one feel silly using it.

I recognize your concern and believe it is valid.   For myself, I rationalize the use of leather by telling myself that the poor cow wasn't murdered to get it's skin but for it's meat to feed the carnivores who mistakenly believe they need meat to be healthy and strong.
    Your superiority complex is impressive. What must it be like on your pedestal looking down at we dumbass, Neanderthal  carnivores.
    LOL....   Ok, I'll play your ad hominem game:
    Your bitterness is impressive.  What must it be like living deep in your hole filled with manure looking up at the intelligent ones.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    GeeAye said:
    Your superiority complex is impressive. What must it be like on your pedestal looking down at we dumbass, Neanderthal  carnivores.
    Tell me, do you ever post anything positive?  Anything that makes another human being feel better, or have a brighter day?  Or is it always this relentless urge to tear other people down, to inject venom, and to belittle and sneer?

We have another person demanding that vegans and vegetarians "leave everyone alone", how about you leave them alone too?  Nerd who bully are unsurprisingly, not cool.

The wallet looks stupid and insufficient for my needs so I'd never use it, even it it wasn't made of cow flesh, but if anyone else like it and wants to use it, all power to you.
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondonMacQuadra840av
  • Reply 36 of 56
    It's perfect?

Looks pretty good.  Care to share a link to the eBay seller?

The one I pointed out is:
    But, it only goes up to the iPhone 11 (mine is an iPhone 7).  
    I find it to be well made -- after a year it still look pretty new -- although the back has a few gouges from a ring of keys because I pack it in the center console box on top of my keys when I run.

They appear to be made or real leather (if it ain't I can't tell) and they come in a pretty wide selection of colors.

This one is for the iPhone 12 but it looks like this may be the same, just a couple bucks more ($10.97)

I just searched on "iPhone wallet case" and it produced a pretty wide selection -- enough for almost any taste.

• Reply 37 of 56
    It's perfect?

I had this exact wallet for my last phone and it definitely is a cheaper bonded pleather. The biggest issue with this wallet is you cannot wirelessly charge with it. I want to wirelessly charge my new iphone 12 pro max, so i need a case that allows for that and a charger that matches up with the size of this phone (the one i previously bought does not). 

Yeh, that's a good point and one that Andrew addressed in his review -- he clearly agrees with you.
    But I don't find it either cheap or bonded:   it looks nice and it feels nice.  As for being bonded, if you notice, it is stitched together, not glued.

As for wireless charging, I thought my grandson had used wireless charging for his (he has an Xr and a cheap wireless charger that he uses mostly for his Airpods).   But I'll have to verify that the next time that I'm over.   It might depend on how many cards you stuff in it -- or it might need to be opened up.  I'll check.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Ebay is a crazy place.  I searched for "iphone wallet case" and you immediately find dozens or leather-looking cases for $12 or so with free shipping.  HTF do these sellers make any money? 

I wonder that myself.
    I can't imagine how they could make this and ship from Malaysia to my front door for $10.  But they did, and I am quite happy with it.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    GeeAye said:
    Tell me, do you ever post anything positive? 
    […]
    The wallet looks stupid and insufficient for my needs so I'd never use it...
    What a fucking riot you are! Hypocrite is more like it, ffs.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    GeeAye said:
    Tell me, do you ever post anything positive? 
    […]
    The wallet looks stupid and insufficient for my needs so I'd never use it...
    What a fucking riot you are! Hypocrite is more like it, ffs.
    Hardly.  I don't claim to always be positive.  And tolerance requires an intolerance of the intolerant.

And what is your objective other than trying to make someone else look bad?  Such a tough guy.
    edited November 2020 GeorgeBMac