Apple releases new HomePod mini 'The magic of mini' ad spot

Posted:
in General Discussion
In this whimsical and sometimes bizarre ad spot, Apple shows off its HomePod mini with hip-hop artist Tierra Whack having some fun in her own little world.

Tierra Whack in
Tierra Whack in "The magic of mini" ad spot

The ad spot reflects some of Apple's more high-end production videos for the holidays. Some featuring families coming together or Frankenstein's monster looking for happiness.

The video opens with musician Tierra Whack listening to her AirPods Pro and a song about being sad. Her scarf seems to grow longer and longer as she tries to hide from the world.

She gets home to tell her normal-sized HomePod "Hey Siri, turn it way up" as a much happier song plays. Things get wild as a small version of Tierra Whack steps out and a HomePod mini appears.

The HomePod mini is now available to order. It has many of the same features of the larger HomePod with a great sound and better pairing and processing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I can't attach any certain personal emotion to the ad, except - confused. So they are not selling me HomePod mini with that.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    powerguru said:
    Not sure what Apple is trying to say with this ad. Definitely they are trying to be politically correct. And please someone. That’s with all the advt. these days in the media. 
    What’s politically correct about it? Lol what a strange world you live in
    Graeme000smack416Ofer
  • Reply 3 of 15
    r002092 said:
    powerguru said:
    Not sure what Apple is trying to say with this ad. Definitely they are trying to be politically correct. And please someone. That’s with all the advt. these days in the media. 
    What’s politically correct about it? Lol what a strange world you live in
    We all live in a strange world right now. 

If this is the future of Apple Ad's, then we are definitely in a sad place. I would be surprised it this ad resonated with many people. Fans of Whack will appreciate seeing her - for sure - but I doubt anyone will say this add motivated them to buy a HomePod mini.
    entropysurahara
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Easily the worst Apple ad ever. No emotional connection, no product education, no excitement.... actually make me question if the HomePod mini's that I ordered will leave me as flat as this add did.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    M68000M68000 Posts: 798member
    A lot of work went into making the video.   But,  I have no idea what the message is in the video.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 15
    A lot of Apple ads just take you someplace. Nothing else.

Remember the dancing white cords of the iPods? About as meaningful as this.

(Somehow, they're historic. This? Maybe.)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 229member, administrator, moderator, editor
    powerguru said:
    Maybe I didn't convey this well enough, and after reading an adweek article on it, its obvious. As I said, its a sad song outside then a happy song inside. The video represents the emotional connection to music and the happiness and comfort a simple song can bring.

The visuals are wild and fun, though I can see why the message might be lost on a first viewing since some of the visuals are bizarre to the point of distraction. I personally quite liked the video.
    Ofer
  • Reply 8 of 15
    OferOfer Posts: 263unconfirmed, member
    powerguru said:
    How exactly are they being politically correct with this ad? Personally I didn’t think it did a great job of selling the HomePod Mini, but I don’t see anything PC about it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,229member
    I found it just weird 
    I know it is supposed to portray a retreat to a happy place, but ultimately the whole thing is a real downer the more you ponder it, which at two minutes you have plenty of time to do. I am not sure how that encourages anyone to buy a consumer product. And if it does, is it a good message to say “Hey depressed person! Buy this speaker thing and you will have a magical experience even though you are still alone with yourself”

also.. that scarf?

also also: get those hip hop annoyances off my lawn!

edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    LOL Music takes you to a magical, wonderful, whimsical place. Also, miniature Tierra is just riffing on homepod "MINI".

If you "hate" it then time to loosen up and find some magic in your life. Ugh "computer people on message boards".
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I’m reading the comments on this page, and what I’m seeing is a lot of poorly-disguised white fragility. 

Well, the thing is Apple is aiming for a certain demographic, and this demographic listens to this young lady’s music. 

The things that stood out for me: the sense of isolation, the small apartment they used. Relatable to a lot of young people at the moment. The only thing I would say is that I’m not sure it gives the lift they might’ve been aiming for, but I see what they were trying to do. Needed a bit more punch, I reckon. 

edited November 2020 Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I found this article in a search to know more about the music in this commercial.
    I'm not even an Apple person, but I created this account just to comment, because this is one of the most ignorant threads I've ever seen. 
    I thought the ad was cool and very appealing. I loved the music and the contrasting moods. 
    It made me curious about the product, and I took the time to Google the artist. Went down a YouTube rabbit hole, and nowTierra Whack has a new fan and subscriber. 
    It should probably be noted that I'm a white woman in my fifties, living in the suburbs, and as such, presumably not the "target demographic" for this commercial. But who cares? 
    Maybe if some of the commenters listened to lyrics and tried to catch the feeling of songs instead of just thinking "ew, rap" or thinking it is PC or only aimed at certain people, they could broaden their horizons. Musically and otherwise. 

• Reply 13 of 15
    powerguru said:
    Bruv what the hell is PC about this ad? Everyone is happy outside, it’s a happy environment full of cheer (hence, the winter decor she was staring at. She covers herself up with her scarf to hide from the world, letting her outer appearance speak for herself.

She gets inside, turns her happy music way up, then learns to love herself (blowing a kiss at herself, then turning into her usual persona).

did you seriously think this is “an attack on Christmas” *gasp!* the horror! Or that it’s about some sort of race thing? Come on, man. Grow up.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    So maybe I've hit the point of pandemic isolation where my senses have shipped off and I'm seeing things, but did anyone else see her scarf singing in that last shot before going in the apartment?

Also, I'm not the demo for this ad's audience, but there's something almost mesmerizing about the visuals every time I see it.