Some early Apple One subscribers run into billing, renewal issues

Posted:
in General Discussion
A number of users who signed up for an Apple One free trial on day one are having billing issues as the free 30-day period ends.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

It's been exactly one month since Apple One debuted on Oct. 30. And since Apple offered a one-month free trial for new subscribers of the service, that means the trial is automatically rolling over to a paid subscription for many users.

An undetermined number of users are having issues with the transition, however. According to a handful of reports on social media, users are seeing their Apple One subscription marked as "expired" or "expiring" on Nov. 30 -- even if they chose to renew the service.

@applesupport Apple One Premier subscription is showing as "expired". Never cancelled. But everything seems to be working. Not sure what I should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-- Fade To Mac (@FadeToMac)

@applesupport Apple One Premier subscription is showing as "expired". Never cancelled. But everything seems to be working. Not sure what I should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-- Fade To Mac (@FadeToMac)

Some users are also an error message stating that the subscription item is "currently being modified" when they attempt to resubscribe for Apple One.

Are other people having issues with #AppleOne? It currently shows as having expired' in my subscriptions panel, and when I try to resubscribe I receive this message: pic.twitter.com/9QDwLjOdTC

-- Basic Apple Guy (@BasicAppleGuy)

Other Apple One subscribers are seeing their individual service subscriptions, like Apple TV+ and Apple Music, being renewed despite signing up for the bundle. At least one user said that their individual Apple service charges were immediately reversed.

So, the Apple One end of trial did not go as planned. And my AppleTV+ renewed on top of it. pic.twitter.com/68VBsWcepi

-- Chris Barnes (@ChrisBarnesTech)

Mine says expired, but my services still say "This will be included in Apple One starting Nov. 30." I also got charged this morning and was reversed right away.

It isn't clear what the issue could be, and Apple's system status page doesn't give any indication of downed platforms. Of course, it's likely that the bug is temporary and will be resolved shortly.

Apple One is a services bundle that allows users to save money on Apple services like Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, and iCloud storage.

The cheapest bundle is $14.95 a month and includes Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, and 50GB of cloud storage. The highest premier tier, which is only available in the U.S., Australia, Canada, and the U.K., costs $29.95 a month and adds Apple Music Family, Apple News+, Apple Fitness+, and 2TB of iCloud storage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Yeah...mine is showing expired. Should I resubscribe or let it lapse? This is confusing. 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    This only reinforces my "wait until the dust settles" approach for Apple One.

Zero FOMO on this one. It'll still be there in February '21 or whenever ... 

Burger King and MacDonalds do a pretty good job of recognizing when you've purchased all of the component items that comprise a "meal bundle" and then charging you the bundle price. C'mon Apple, this really shouldn't be a big deal or have really been elevated to being "A Thing" other than promotional pricing. 
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I’ve signed up on day one. The very next day I received an email alert that my iCloud plan would expire in 30 days. It must’ve been a fluke, because when I checked, a day or two later, everything was okay!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Mine too said expired but I just received a notification that I was billed.  When I checked now, it indicates my Apple One subscription is active. 😊
  • Reply 5 of 7
    iMiiMi Posts: 6member
    I just got renewed yesterday without any issues. If you're thinking about getting this service, remember two things. 
    • If you have any trials for any of the individual services, they will be forfeited immediately. Wish I thought about it before making the switch. 
    • If you get the Apple One, it will not replace your current iCloud storage. It will convert your existing subscription to the "additional storage" add on. In my case, I already had 1TB iCloud plan shared across the entire family. Once I signed up for Apple One, I assumed the 1TB it comes with would automatically replace the 1TB iCloud plan I had before. It didn't. Instead, I had 2TB total storage for which I was being charged.
    Hope this helps! 

• Reply 6 of 7
    iMi said:
    I just got renewed yesterday without any issues. If you're thinking about getting this service, remember two things. 
    • If you have any trials for any of the individual services, they will be forfeited immediately. Wish I thought about it before making the switch. 
    • If you get the Apple One, it will not replace your current iCloud storage. It will convert your existing subscription to the "additional storage" add on. In my case, I already had 1TB iCloud plan shared across the entire family. Once I signed up for Apple One, I assumed the 1TB it comes with would automatically replace the 1TB iCloud plan I had before. It didn't. Instead, I had 2TB total storage for which I was being charged.
    Hope this helps! 

I’m not seeing the added iCloud storage you’re mentioning. Maybe you’re seeing 2T instead of 1T is because there is no 1T iCloud storage tier. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    iMiiMi Posts: 6member
    Wgkrueger said:
    iMi said:
    Hope this helps! 

I’m not seeing the added iCloud storage you’re mentioning. Maybe you’re seeing 2T instead of 1T is because there is no 1T iCloud storage tier. 
    I’m sorry. I meant 2TB. I had the iCloud 2TB plan prior to upgrading. I then had 4TB total with the original 2TB shown as additional add on. I had to manually downgrade it.