Apple's proposed changes to Uighur Forced Labor Prevent Act leak

Posted:
in General Discussion
Some of the changes that Apple proposed to a bill that seeks to prevent forced labor in China have surfaced in a new report, and include keeping some supply chain information from the public and extending a compliance deadline.

Credit: WikiCommons
Credit: WikiCommons

The Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act, among other provisions, prevents imports of goods manufactured in the predominantly Muslim region of Xinjiang unless companies can guarantee they weren't produced by coerced Uighur minorities in the region. Apple was said to be among the companies lobbying against the bill.

In a document reviewed by The New York Times, some of Apple's proposed changes include extending compliance deadlines; releasing certain supply chain information to Congress and not the public; and requiring Chinese entities to be "designated" by the U.S. government as helping to surveil or detain Uighurs in Xinjiang.

Apple disputed the claim that it tried to weaken the bill, the Times reported. In a statement, the company said it had the strongest supplier guidelines in the industry and added that it regularly audits its supply chain partners.

"Looking for the presence of forced labor is part of every supplier assessment we conduct and any violations of our policies carry immediate consequences, including business termination," Apple said. "Earlier this year, we conducted a detailed investigation with our suppliers in China and found no evidence of forced labor on Apple production lines and we are continuing to monitor this closely."

Earlier in 2020, Apple supplier O-film Tech was accused by the U.S. Commerce Department of human rights violations through the use of forced Uighur labor.

In March, the Australian Strategic Policy Institute identified Apple and other major U.S. companies as entities that have potentially benefitted -- either directly or indirectly -- from abusive labor transfer practices tied to Xinjiang. That report accused O-Film of receiving Uighur workers that were in a program aiming to "gradually alter their ideology." It also tied other suppliers, like Foxconn, to similar programs.

Apple in July said that ongoing investigations and audits of potential supply chain abuses have turned up no evidence of wrongdoing. And during a congressional hearing in July, Apple CEO Tim Cook called forced labor "abhorrent," and said Apple would no tolerate it in its supply chain.

In addition to Apple, other companies said to be lobbying against the bill include Coca-Cola, Nike, Costco, and Patagonia, among others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    This is bullshit Tim.  The only reason to keep supply chain logistics hidden from public disclosure is to hide the location of manufacture, which leads us to believe your hiding the use of forced labor.  Hope you get raked through the coals for this one bub.
    elijahgtylersdadmacseekersupadav03chemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    robaba said:
    This is bullshit Tim.  The only reason to keep supply chain logistics hidden from public disclosure is to hide the location of manufacture, which leads us to believe your hiding the use of forced labor.  Hope you get raked through the coals for this one bub.
    I have to agree, Apple is headed for a public relations disaster here.     I can actually see Tim loosing control of Apple as more and more people become aware of the rather bad turn China has taken.    20 years ago I had high hopes for the people of China, now it looks like they are run by people with the same mentality that filled the Nazi party in the 1930's.  

The only reasonable course of action for Apple is to move all production out of China.   Take their billions of investment money and spread it around the world to more ethical countries.   Bring a little bit of that production home too.   Staying in China is like helping the Nazis build concentration camps in the 1940's.
    elijahg
  • Reply 3 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    robaba said:

Oh really? Apple is the only company to audit labor conditions. Surely there is no other reason besides some anti-Apple conspiracy?

Also you didn't read the article.
    anantksundaramlkruppronnsteven n.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    wizard69 said:
    robaba said:
    I have to agree, Apple is headed for a public relations disaster here.     I can actually see Tim loosing control of Apple as more and more people become aware of the rather bad turn China has taken.    20 years ago I had high hopes for the people of China, now it looks like they are run by people with the same mentality that filled the Nazi party in the 1930's.  

The only reasonable course of action for Apple is to move all production out of China.   Take their billions of investment money and spread it around the world to more ethical countries.   Bring a little bit of that production home too.   Staying in China is like helping the Nazis build concentration camps in the 1940's.
    Much as I too wish Apple would get out of China that’s not going to be possible in the short run. It’s too irresponsible to far too many stakeholders. End of story. 

Re the Uighur bill, Apple’ nuanced position is worthy of consideration. All they want is some more time to report (they’ll be raked through the coals if they get something wrong there) and knowing Apple’s prior history in such matters, I am more than willing to cut the company some slack when they say they have a reason to not reveal supplier names. And, I have little doubt as to the company’s position on what China’s doing to the Uighurs.

I trust the company - and Tim Cook - more than I do shrill debates (and debaters). It’s not all back or white.
    edited December 2020 bestkeptsecretsteven n.Beats
  • Reply 5 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,715member
    Apple gets merited praise for concern over the environment, but I wish it would take more steps that would earn it kudos for respecting human rights. The treatment of humans is more important that the treatment of the environment. Anyone care to argue that last statement?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The bill is obviously (intentionally?) badly written: one cannot prove a negative, “forbidden unless a company can guarantee that X not be the case” could simply be written as “forbidden” as nobody can guarantee that something isn’t the case. One can only guarantee to try to prevent something, or, as Apple correctly tried to have the legislation changed, not to utilize entities designated as being in violation.

These are matters of ensuring legal certainty rather than make corporations live under a Damocles sword.
    anantksundaramsteven n.bageljoey
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Posted this before: Xinjiang is a region that primarily produces cotton and apparel, which is why people like Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio (both elected from major cotton producing states) are sponsoring the bill. 
    ronn
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,616member
    Posted this before: Xinjiang is a region that primarily produces cotton and apparel, which is why people like Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio (both elected from major cotton producing states) are sponsoring the bill. 
    Marco Rubio represents Florida which is not even close to a "major cotton-producing state" with a crop worth maybe $50Million at best. They definitely don't' crack the list of top 10 cotton-producing states in the US. I think someone is creating a false storyline and using it as an excuse to dismiss the bill.
    tylersdadsupadav03anantksundaramelijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    Marco Rubio represents Florida which is not even close to a "major cotton-producing state" with a crop worth maybe $50Million at best. They definitely don't' crack the list of top 10 cotton-producing states in the US. I think someone is creating a false storyline and using it as an excuse to dismiss the bill.
    The poisoning of discourse on any serious social issue by illiterates touting politics is out of control. 
    elijahgBeatsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,616member
    gatorguy said:
    The poisoning of discourse on any serious social issue by illiterates touting politics is out of control. 
    Absolutely. For a tech-oriented site populated by highly educated and intelligent members it sometimes doesn't feel so smart. 
    elijahganantksundarammuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple gets merited praise for concern over the environment, but I wish it would take more steps that would earn it kudos for respecting human rights. The treatment of humans is more important that the treatment of the environment. Anyone care to argue that last statement?
    Why would anyone want to even if they disagree?  Both are important, and in this particular matter are not in conflict.
    CloudTalkinronnanantksundarambageljoey
  • Reply 12 of 16
    crowley said:
    Why would anyone want to even if they disagree?  Both are important, and in this particular matter are not in conflict.
    I didn't say they both weren't important. I didn't say they were in conflict. On those points we agree. I simply said Apple should be pushing human rights like they push environmental and social issues. But they aren't. And nobody is disagreeing with me, including you.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    I didn't say they both weren't important. I didn't say they were in conflict. On those points we agree. I simply said Apple should be pushing human rights like they push environmental and social issues. But they aren't. And nobody is disagreeing with me, including you.
    You also invited a disagreement, unprompted, for an unrelated issue.  I see your game.
    bageljoey
  • Reply 14 of 16
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    robaba said:
    This is so fictitious as to be a lie. Supply chain management is always a closely held trade secret and is frequently guessed at to game the stock price. Keeping this information on a need to know basis is critical to many companies in manufacturing. NOTE: The information is disclosed just not to the like of ilk like WaPo or the NYT (Both which have been shown to favor ideology over factual reporting in the past. Remember Mike Daisey?)
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 16
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    rcfa said:
    The bill is obviously (intentionally?) badly written: one cannot prove a negative, “forbidden unless a company can guarantee that X not be the case” could simply be written as “forbidden” as nobody can guarantee that something isn’t the case. One can only guarantee to try to prevent something, or, as Apple correctly tried to have the legislation changed, not to utilize entities designated as being in violation.

These are matters of ensuring legal certainty rather than make corporations live under a Damocles sword.
    I agree. I was stunned when I read the bill and they intentionally dismissed audits as evidence. The bill reads like it was written by a 1st year intern. 
    ronn
  • Reply 16 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    wizard69 said:
    robaba said:

Much as I too wish Apple would get out of China that’s not going to be possible in the short run. It’s too irresponsible to far too many stakeholders. End of story. 

Re the Uighur bill, Apple’ nuanced position is worthy of consideration. All they want is some more time to report (they’ll be raked through the coals if they get something wrong there) and knowing Apple’s prior history in such matters, I am more than willing to cut the company some slack when they say they have a reason to not reveal supplier names. And, I have little doubt as to the company’s position on what China’s doing to the Uighurs.

I trust the company - and Tim Cook - more than I do shrill debates (and debaters). It’s not all back or white.

I think Apple wants to get out of China.

The problem is morons(especially iKnockoff morons) think Apple can start producing iPhones in the U.S. tomorrow or even next month. It will most likely take a decade for that to be possible.

Imagine Apple cancelling iPads, iPhones, Apple Watches and AirPods etc. from 2021-2031 just to manufacture in the U.S. and please morons who don't understand manufacturing? Is that a good idea?

Protecting the environment is way more important. What a dumb argument. If the environment goes to crap humans won't even exist but hey! At least we treated them well!

The problem with humans is they lack imagination. For example if you were to explain a modern apartment complex to someone in 1820, they would have sent you to the loony bin because AT THAT TIME they did not have the mental imagination to understand what was possible. Therefore, telling someone about a world destroyed with little natural food and smog in the air it sounds ludicrous but this is possible in 100 years or less.