Apple's MagSafe Duo Charger now available for $129

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2020
Apple's MagSafe Duo Charger went up for sale through the online Apple Store on Tuesday, with the release coming more than a month after the accessory was unveiled at a special event in October.

MagSafe Duo

The dual-device charger is now listed on Apple's digital storefront for $129 or $10.75 a month for 12 months. Orders placed today arrive on Dec. 4 or, with expedited shipping, Dec. 3.

Unveiled at this year's iPhone event in October, the MagSafe Duo Charger features a compact, foldable design that supports both an iPhone 12 series handset and an Apple Watch. Charging is accomplished by connecting the device to a USB-C adapter.

While the MagSafe protocol was designed to deliver 15W of power -- 12W for iPhone 12 mini -- with a 20W adapter, the hardware in MagSafe Duo restricts charging capacities for all iPhone models. According to the product's Apple Store page, a 20W adapter affords wireless iPhone charging up to 11W, while a 27W or higher adapter nets up to 14W.

One of the most hotly anticipated MagSafe accessories, MagSafe Duo was announced on Oct. 13 and subsequently listed on the online Apple Store where it sat as "coming soon" for weeks.

Rumblings of an imminent release came in early November, when Korea's National Radio Research Agency approved the device for sale. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission did the same less than a week later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    For $19, you can buy Apple's USB-C charger and charge your phone at the full 20W with the lightning cable.  For $129 + $49, you can charge at only 14W.  For $129 + $19, you can charge at a measly 11w.  This being a product that requires two hands to get your phone off the magnet without causing your watch to fly across the room.  And a product so cheaply made, only the cheap plastic material holds the two sides together.  Who would fall for this?  Talk about getting ripped off.
    TheObannonFileviclauyycwilliamlondonchemengin1caladanianjony0
  • Reply 2 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    For $19, you can buy Apple's USB-C charger and charge your phone at the full 20W with the lightning cable.  For $129 + $49, you can charge at only 14W.  For $129 + $19, you can charge at a measly 11w.  This being a product that requires two hands to get your phone off the magnet without causing your watch to fly across the room.  And a product so cheaply made, only the cheap plastic material holds the two sides together.  Who would fall for this?  Talk about getting ripped off.
    We’re about to find out. And I agree with every single thing you said. 
    TheObannonFilecaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Japhey said:
    We’re about to find out. And I agree with every single thing you said. 
    I am an Apple fanboy 100%. But my mind is blown at how low the value proposition is for this product. The concept is great, but the price is insane. You have to really, really, really want this to get it.

And, I have a $20 clear case from Amazon. Don’t know if MagSafe will work with it. You gotta have that $50 Apple case + the $129 MagSafe Duo + a $19 or $49 power adapter, all to gain consolidating from 2 separate chargers to one.

I will buy almost anything Apple makes, but I will not be buying this.
    Japheywilliamlondoncaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 15
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    A bit less clutter on the table is nice and for overnight charging a tad less overheating from avoiding Max rate charging will be kinder to the battery. A nice plus for those that keep their iPhone for more than a year. 

If one handed operation is desired, offhand I can think of any number of ways to anchor the base. I’d probably go with some Velcro myself.
    williamlondonwatto_cobracaladanianjony0
  • Reply 5 of 15
    This being a product that requires two hands to get your phone off the magnet without causing your watch to fly across the room. 
    You know how to solve this problem? The greatest invention of American, Duct tape. Just put one in the middle of this fancy device and it is secure for life.
    currentinterestwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    viclauyyc said:
    This being a product that requires two hands to get your phone off the magnet without causing your watch to fly across the room. 
    You know how to solve this problem? The greatest invention of American, Duct tape. Just put one in the middle of this fancy device and it is secure for life.
    Yeah, maybe if you’re using it on a milk crate or a card table. But duct tape and Velcro aren’t really an option for anyone using these on a decent piece of furniture without ruining the finish. 
  • Reply 7 of 15
    What’s up with Airtags?
    williamlondonwatto_cobracaladanian
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mobirdmobird Posts: 754member
    Another "most hotly anticipated MagSafe accessories" product from Apple.

Does anyone here know of anyone who was "hotly anticipating" this MagSafe accessory?

I guess I lead a quiet life...

/s
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mobird said:
    Another "most hotly anticipated MagSafe accessories" product from Apple.

Does anyone here know of anyone who was "hotly anticipating" this MagSafe accessory?

I guess I lead a quiet life...

/s
    There was a lot of buzz around it when it was originally showed in the keynote video. 
    All the buzz turned to dumbfounded disbelief when the price was announced.

In my opinion, none of the pros for this outweigh the cons. If I ever do pick it up, it will be on EMI so I do not feel the pinch, but I just cannot justify purchasing this.
    williamlondonTheObannonFilewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Apple is hilarious!
    Japheywilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The ability to pick up the phone and the charging pad remains attached means it can keep charging while you use it. This is generally a good MagSafe feature (along with always correct placement), although maybe not on this device if the watch is also on there charging.

But I can’t”get” this product. People say it is for clutter when travelling, as the MagSafe duo pad, single cable and charger is somehow more portable than a dual port charger and two cables. I reckon Apple is having a lend.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I was actually quite interested in this for my Apple Watch and iPhone.  I had been using a simple Qi wireless charging stand for my old iPhone X in a Pad & Quill leather case, which worked fine.  However, after replacing my iPhone X with a new iPhone 12 Pro with a new Pad & Quill leather case, I discovered it no longer worked with my Qi charger.  Too thick I guess.  So, I tried Apple’s new MagSafe charger, which unfortunately also only works either without a case, or a very thin plastic/silicon case.  Again, the new leather case is too thick.  So, I’m unlikely to go for this MagSafe Duo combo.  Too expensive, and probably won’t work with my new leather case either.  Pad & Quill directed me to a three coil Qi charger that they say works with their new leather cases (Choetech 3 Coils Qi Fast Wireless Charging Pad, $20 Amazon).
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Seriously curious how one removes the iPhone from this without knocking a Watch off, especially if this is on a bedside table in the dark. This is obscenely overpriced for what it is, considering you need a separate 27W charger (the $49 30W charger if you buy Apple's) to get full capabilities.

"One of the most hotly anticipated MagSafe accessories" — is it though?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Less clutter and cables beside my bed, so I bought it. 

But I agree with the critics about price and charging speed (both are irrelevant for me in this case).

I won’t use it travelling btw. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    It’s an Apple product so it will sell faster than cheap hookers on the corners near ComicCon.