Apple Watch, AirPods market expansion edges out overall segment growth

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Apple's wearables business grew 38.6% year-over-year in the third quarter of 2020, outpacing the broader market, while the Apple Watch segment grew 75% in the same period.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The Cupertino tech giant shipped an estimated 41.4 million devices in the wearables category, which includes AirPods and AirPods Pro, up from 29.8 million year-over-year. Impressively, the Apple Watch segment grew 75% in the same period, from 6.8 million units shipped in Q3 2019 to 11.8 million units in Q3 2020.

Apple ranked second to Xiaomi in the wrist-worn wearables category, which includes smartwatches, fitness wristbands, and traditional watches. Xiaomi had a 24.5% share of the market in the third quarter, while Apple took 21.6%, according to new data from research firm IDC.

In the broader wearables category, which also includes wireless earbuds, Apple took the top spot by a large margin. The iPhone maker had a 33.1% share of the market, followed by Xiaomi in second place with 13.4%.

"AirPods along with Apple Watches were hugely popular due to pandemic driven demand," IDC notes in its report. "Apple's expanding Watch lineup also ensured that devices were available at multiple price points including new mid-level products such as the Watch SE."

The total wearables industry continued to grow during the period, with IDC tracking a 35.1% increase in the market year-over-year. All in all, the industry shipped a total of 125 million units in the third quarter of 2020. The research firm attributes some of that growth to more broadly priced wearable devices, including the lower-cost Apple Watch SE.

"The double-digit growth not only indicates strong demand, but also suggests that many people got a wearable device for the first time in both emerging and developed markets. Consider what this means: a larger installed base of wearable device users going forward and a larger opportunity for device replacements in the years to come. And, as some wearers own multiple devices - like earwear and wristwear - the wearables market will enjoy sustained demand," said IDC Research Director Ramon T. Llamas.

Apple no longer reports individual unit sales for its product categories, so IDC's shipment data is just an estimate.

On the other hand, Apple did report a record-breaking $7.9 billion in Wearables, Home, and Accessories revenue during the period. That product segment includes both AirPods and Apple Watches, but also other devices like HomePod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I’m struggling to get the link between pandemic and Apple Watch growth. I suspect this market model output is more a product of the assumptions than any particular knowledge. A common model problem.
    Also, as has been said many times before, this wearables category is a very strange basket of goods.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    entropys said:
    I’m struggling to get the link between pandemic and Apple Watch growth. I suspect this market model output is more a product of the assumptions than any particular knowledge. A common model problem.
    Also, as has been said many times before, this wearables category is a very strange basket of goods.
    The link is the O2 sensor. 
    Beatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I got my Apple Watch Series 6 with Braided Solo Loop today after like a 2 month wait. I was between a 8 and 9, so I went 8 as people suggested. Seems to fit fine and comfy. Not sure if is $100 comfy (or $79 if bought with the watch), but it is nice. Can't believe Apple can't crank out bands.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    As usual the Apple Watch knockoffs are the only ones able to compete at a cheap price.

Hope to see Apple take the Apple Watch market completely.

"But that's where the industry was heading anyway!!!!!!!"
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 5 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Beats said:
    As usual the Apple Watch knockoffs are the only ones able to compete at a cheap price.

Jesus what a shameless ripoff. Then even ripped off the Breathe app graphics.
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 6
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    Beats said:

I didn't understand anything in that. 

How many general styles have you ever seen? There aren't that many options and most of the ones I see fall into round or rectangular

Are you wilfully ignoring all those watches that look nothing like an Apple Watch?