Apple's Deirdre O'Brien talks lessons learned from coronavirus response

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple SVP of retail and people Deirdre O'Brien in an interview on Tuesday spoke about the lessons learned from dealing with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, an ever-changing situation that forced companies to strike a balance between in-person and remote work.

O'Brien

Speaking at Fortune's Brainstorm Tech conference, O'Brien admitted that shifting Apple's corporate and retail operations to a largely work-from-home strategy was a monumental undertaking.

"If you had asked me a couple of years ago, could Apple do what we've done this year on shifting to working from home, I would have been challenged to imagine it," she said.

The tech giant was forced to shutter retail locations and corporate offices around the world early this year as the severity of the virus was thrown into sharp relief. Starting with China in February, and rapidly extending to Europe and the U.S., Apple was forced to close stores and offices in a bid to protect its workers and customers.

While the threat remains, Apple is slowly moving toward a new normal instructed by months of pandemic education. Stores are reopening -- but with strict social distancing safeguards -- and employees are trickling back into Apple Park. While many, including Apple, turn to virtual experiences as a replacement for in-person meetings, O'Brien says face-to-face encounters are at times necessary.

"We also do feel that collaboration, and many times face-to-face work, does allow us to do our best work and sometimes move a little faster," O'Brien said, adding that Apple will "find that right balance" between remote and in-person contact.

Physical presence is especially important for Apple's lucrative retail chain, where customers have a chance to test drive new products like iPhone and Mac. The inherent intimacy of certain items, such as Apple Watch and other wearables, has posed a particular challenge to the tech giant.

"We want to make sure, especially as you come into our stores, that you can experience everything that we have to offer," she said. "That's been a bit more challenging in this socially distant environment. I'm really hoping we'll be able to go back to a full experience situation in our stores for our customers."

For now, Apple is making do with highly restricted store occupancy rules, customer screening, mask requirements and other accommodations. The company has also conducted completely virtual special events -- including a massive effort for WWDC -- and moved some of its usual offerings, like Today at Apple sessions, online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    In my Fortune 500 company we practiced similar work-from-home policies and the results are decidedly mixed.  Some are able to sit at home alone and deliver an internal product.  But the cohesion of product development teams has suffered significantly, highlighted by misunderstandings and false starts, which cause rework and delays in the project.  Webcams cannot convey body language and other nonverbal signals.  Being able to walk two doors down and have a meaningful conversation can’t be simulated on a webcam.

The result is, those who are permitted to come into work almost always do so of their own accord.  And that’s a very good thing.
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    JWSC said:
    In my Fortune 500 company we practiced similar work-from-home policies and the results are decidedly mixed.  Some are able to sit at home alone and deliver an internal product.  But the cohesion of product development teams has suffered significantly, highlighted by misunderstandings and false starts, which cause rework and delays in the project.  Webcams cannot convey body language and other nonverbal signals.  Being able to walk two doors down and have a meaningful conversation can’t be simulated on a webcam.

The result is, those who are permitted to come into work almost always do so of their own accord.  And that’s a very good thing.
    Fair comment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I would rate, from a customer perspective, the way Apple Stores have been functioning to be one of the poorest that I've seen.   My own experience:

Started with a repair request (actually, they don't repair them they replace them) for Airpods that were not working.   I wanted to take them into an Apple Store so somebody could verify that they were really broken.   But, I was told to make an appointment for a week out when I used to be able to just walk in and see a tech genius within a few minutes.   I could not understand why a few minutes turned into a week because of the virus.  So, I ended up taking care of it online (which had its own problems).

Then later I needed a replacement for a USB-C to lightening cable.   After waiting 45 minutes in line I was handled much like a supermarket cashier would handle one of her customers -- well below Apple's typical standards.

So, I submitted a survey that rated their service as "poor" and was surprised to get a call back from what I assumed to be a store manager.  I explained what had happened during the sale and he said the rep likely needed additional training.   But, when I asked him about being asked to wait a week to see a tech for an Airpod replacement I was surprised that he told me why:   Most of the technicians had been shifted out of the stores to work the online system!

Of all the stores I have dealt with during this pandemic I would say that the Apple stores have been the worst.  I applaud them for striving to protect their employees and their customers, but the way they have done that has not been good.

For example, instead of just short changing the stores and pissing off customers, they could have explained that they had shifted service from onsight to online.   As it was, I as a customer only knew suddenly support had dropped off a cliff.
    JWSC
  • Reply 4 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Any opinions on her?

People hated the Burberry lady.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    @GeorgeBMac SHV Mall?

I had a similar experience with my AirPods.

A 1 week out appointment. Got there and repeated everything we did on the phone with support. Then was told they don't have them in stock and I have to call support to order replacements. Got home, called, they said I would be receiving an email with a link to enter my credit card number as a hold until I sent mine back.

Never received the email. Called a few days later, just before the Thanksgiving break, explained what happened. Entered my card only to be told I couldn't have the replacement AirPods shipped to where I was going to be. They could only be shipped to my house. I hated the whole process.

JWSCGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 7
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    IMHO, Apple has been overly cautious, you can say many things about Covid, but the general survival rate for Covid is hovering around 99% for most people last I heard...  Just walking into a store, using reasonable precautions, you should be able to get normal service and not jump through hoops to get it..   

Went to get an M1 Mini at a local Apple store a couple weeks ago, just inside , the whole front entrance was cordoned off with a wall, with 3-4 booth like areas where an employee stood behind a seemingly thick piece of plastic with a few inches at the bottom to hand them payment, it did lift to create a larger opening to pass through some items back to you, if the box were small enough..  They scan a QR Code thats your order #, which you get when you online order for pickup, through the glass or plastic, the whole process and the wall is totally unnecessary in my book...

I also think its overkill at end of Apple Events to spend nearly 30-60 seconds of credits telling you how they protected everyone... not needed.. I would just assume that reasonable precautions were taken.. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 7 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    razorpit said:
    @GeorgeBMac SHV Mall?

I had a similar experience with my AirPods.

A 1 week out appointment. Got there and repeated everything we did on the phone with support. Then was told they don't have them in stock and I have to call support to order replacements. Got home, called, they said I would be receiving an email with a link to enter my credit card number as a hold until I sent mine back.

Never received the email. Called a few days later, just before the Thanksgiving break, explained what happened. Entered my card only to be told I couldn't have the replacement AirPods shipped to where I was going to be. They could only be shipped to my house. I hated the whole process.

Yes, South Hills Village in Pittsburgh and a similar experience.

At least I found out what was going on:   they took their best staff and put them on online support working from home.   Had we known that perhaps we would have handled things differently.   I certainly will till this is over.