Six-part World Surf League docuseries coming to Apple TV+

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has ordered a new six-part docuseries focusing on professional surfers as they compete for the World Surf League (WSL) title, set to debut on Apple TV+.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The series is said to be a "rich exploration" of the professional surfers making up the 2021 WSL Men's and Women's championship tours. It's set to kick off on Dec. 4, 2020 with an episode focused on Hawaii.

Each episode of the series will give viewers a behind-the-scenes look at the "aspirations, failures and accomplishments of the world's best surfers" as they battle to remain on the WSL Championship Tour.

"The docuseries will dive into different surfing cultures, as well as timely subjects tied to the sport including eco-conservation, sustainability and marine preservation," Apple said.

According to the World Surf League, other championship spots on the tour will include locations in California, Australia, Brazil, French Polynesia, Indonesia, and Ecuador, among others. The surfers set to compete in the WSL include Carissa Moore, Lakey Peterson, Caroline Marks, Stephanie Gilmore, Kolohe Andino, Gabriel Medina, Jordy Smith, and Italo Ferreira.

The series will be produced for Apple TV+ by Box to Box Films, and in partnership with the WSL. James Gay-Rees, Paul Martin, and Erik Logan are set to executive produce the series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Surfing is one of the most photogenic sports, both for the waves and the locales. Even if you're not that interested in the competitive aspect of it, it's very dynamic visually. Perfect kind of content for 4K TVs. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    So when is the docu-series?  I see Dec 4th, but that's when the event is.  I assume the actual episode would be sometime after that?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Surfing is one of the most photogenic sports, both for the waves and the locales. Even if you're not that interested in the competitive aspect of it, it's very dynamic visually. Perfect kind of content for 4K TVs. 
    I saw a picture of a surfer training by holding her breath and walking along the seabed, carrying a boulder.

These people are nuts. I'll be watching.