Consumer demand straining iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max supply, production lines

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Delivery times tracked by investment bank JP Morgan continue to suggest that demand is outpacing supply for the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, but not the lower-priced counterparts.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

In an iPhone availability tracker note seen by AppleInsider, analyst Samik Chatterjee says JP Morgan is continuing to see building lead times -- the time it takes for a customer to receive an iPhone order -- for the two Pro models.

Lead times for the iPhone 12 Pro have surged to an average of about 27 days across several regions, which is the longest lead time JP Morgan has seen since they started tracking availability for the 2020 lineup. The analyst notes that "given that it has now been a few weeks since the specific SKUs have been available is a favorable indicator of customer demand."

On a model by model basis, lead times for the lower-priced iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 actually tracked lower than the previous week, suggesting a moderation of supply and demand.

As of the week of Dec. 7, the average delivery-at-home timing for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini across the regions JP Morgan tracked stood at three days. Delivery-at-home timing for the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, however, expanded to 27 days and 23 days.

In the U.S., which accounts for about 35% of iPhone shipments globally, lead times for the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max models expanded to 33 days and 25 days. In-store pickup had a lead time of a single day for all models.

Delivery times in China moderated. The iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 saw lowered lead times of one day and four times, compared to four and seven days the week prior. The iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max saw lead times of 29 and 22 days, down from 33 and 29. All models were unavailable for in-store pickup in week eight, however.

German customers could expect to receive iPhone 12 mini or iPhone 12 models in five days, or iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max models in 23 days when ordering delivery at home. Those are expanded lead times from the week prior, and all models continued to be unavailable for brick-and-mortar pickup.

In the U.K., lead times expanded for the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max to 22 days and moderated for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 to a single day. The two Pro models weren't available for in-store pickup, while pickup times for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 stood at a single day.

A prior availability note from early November suggested that demand for the iPhone 12 Pro Max was higher than its iPhone 12 mini stablemate.

The iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max officially launched on Friday, Nov. 13, while the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 launched on Oct. 23.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    America is such a size queen. 

I got mini and I am ectastic. 

baconstangentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    netrox said:

Even that iPhone is huge.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Beats said:
    netrox said:

Even that iPhone is huge.
    The mini is the same size, naked, as my old SE with a Tech 21 case.

Now that I have my mini, I can quit whining for 3 or 4 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Absolutely love this mini. Had it for a week, such a step up from the iPhone 7.
    watto_cobra