Apple potentially weighing removal of included iPhone cable, other accessories

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    Of course people aren't using that silly cord Apple enclosed with the iPhone 12.   They have nothing to plug it into.   It was just a cruel joke Apple played on its customers.

Now, if they provided something (like a USB-C brick) to plug it into the story would be quite different with happy customers watching their phones charge from 0% to 50% in 30 minutes.
    I am using the same Apple branded USB-C cord that came with my iPhone 11 Pro max with an Aukey 30W two port charger to charge my 12 Pro Max. I found it on sale on Amazon for $20.00. Great little 2 port charger that I would highly recommend. It's normally around $23.00 - $25.00.

I am hooked on how quickly these things charge. I have gotten burned one too many times with a misplaced phone on a Qi wireless charger. Prior to this I used iPad 12w USB-A chargers...  which from what I have seen is very comparable in charging speed to the previous Apple branded 18w USB-C charger.

I can't be the only person that bought an iPhone 12 that has an existing brick that can be used with the supplied, or previously supplied Lightning to USB-C cable? I have agreed with you previously that it's not ok to stop providing the brick for charging, but come on..

• Reply 42 of 51
    Sounds like airline tactics of taking away all the included extras but keeping the price the same then charging for what used to be free.  

Doesn't sound like something to celebrate like many here are doing,..
    MplsP
  • Reply 43 of 51
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    rossb2 said:
    JBSlough said:
    Remove the stickers? They barely take up space. Can’t possibly cost that much and it’s a great marketing tool. I can’t tell how many cars I see with that sticker on the rear window. Or on a book bag, water bottles, bicycles. Hell, I saw one once slapped over a Dell logo on a laptop once. 
    Those stickers are awful. I never know what to do with them. Anyone found a use for them?
    I would start by re-reading the comment you commented on sir.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Sounds like airline tactics of taking away all the included extras but keeping the price the same then charging for what used to be free.  

If you are an Apple shareholder, why would you not celebrate? That is what is the commonality among those who celebrate this move.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    F_Kent_D said:
    One major downside to removing the Lightning port from your phone: all of the CarPlay devices out there (without wireless CarPlay) are suddenly obsolete.

People hang on to their cars a LOT longer than their phones...
    But every car with Apple CarPlay has Bluetooth so the upgrade to wireless CarPlay is just a software update issue that could actually be initiated on the Apple side of the situation. At least I think it’s possible. 
    No, wireless CarPlay requires WiFi, not bluetooth.

Even if it were possible, it would require every car maker to develop a firmware upgrade and then you'd have to get it installed. Not going to happen.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    ITGUYINSD said:

If the airlines were smart they would have said it was for environmental reasons because it allowed them to save fuel!
    ITGUYINSD said:

If you are an Apple shareholder, why would you not celebrate? That is what is the commonality among those who celebrate this move.
    Yes - consumers are dumb enough to fall for it and keep shelling out money to Apple. Great for stockholders. Not great for consumers.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 47 of 51
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    ITGUYINSD said:

What was ever FREE from the airlines?
  • Reply 48 of 51

flydog said:
    jcc said:
    I don’t understand why Apple is pushing wireless charging? Wireless charging is one of the worst charging methods as a lot of energy is wasted. They shouldn’t allow the capability until that improves.
    The amount of excess electricity used by wirelessly charging your phone for a year wouldn’t be enough to power your refrigerator for 5 minutes. 
    https://debugger.medium.com/wireless-charging-is-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-48afdde70ed9

The difference is about 7 watt hours, from dead to full, apparently, so if you charged your phone only every other day, you would still be wasting an extra 1,277 watt hours per year. An average fridge uses 100-250 watts
     ( https://reductionrevolution.com.au/blogs/news-reviews/fridge-power-consumption )
    so the annual wasted energy would be enough to power a fairly efficient fridge for over 12 hours. 

The wasted energy of one full wireless charge from dead to full is almost enough to power a fridge for 5 minutes.

To balance the argument, you would need to calculate the energy wasted, building and shipping cables and chargers that people do not need. This would also include the energy wasted pulling materials out of the ground, manufacturing and shipping of components, and shipping the product. I would imagine this adds up to a lot of energy.

Then add in the energy wasted disposing of unwanted cables and chargers, plus the environmental cost of dumping them. 
  • Reply 49 of 51
    All those people commenting with drawers full of old cables etc. that you don’t need or use need to seriously consider returning them to the Apple store for recycling. Why do people keep old phones that they don’t use? Is it too difficult to sell or trade in when you buy a new phone?
  • Reply 50 of 51
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Xed said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

https://www.farecompare.com/travel-advice/airline-fees-bags-history/
  • Reply 51 of 51
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

https://www.farecompare.com/travel-advice/airline-fees-bags-history/
    You misunderstand what free means. There's always a cost with aviation. Not being charged an additional amount of money doesn't mean it's free, it just means the cost has already been included. Think of flying first class. You aren't giving an supplemental charge for alcoholic drinks the way coach is, but you're foolish if you think those drinks don't have an incurred charge as part of the cost of flying first class.