Here's where Apple, Tesla and Amazon stood when they hit a $600B market cap

Posted:
in General Discussion
Automaker Tesla has managed to hit a $600 billion market capitalization with a much smaller business than Apple and Amazon when they crossed the same threshold, Morgan Stanley says.

Credit: Tesla
Credit: Tesla

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, a group of Morgan Stanley analysts contextualized Tesla's new market valuation by taking a look back at the business size, valuations, and market conditions surrounding Apple and Amazon when they both hit the $600 billion mark.

Apple, for example, crossed the $600 billion market valuation threshold in August 2012. Compared to the Cupertino tech giant, Tesla is one-fourth the size of Apple in forward year revenue and one-seventh the earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA).

"While it took Apple nearly 30 years to reach a $300B market cap, it took just 18 months to grow from $300B to $600B in market cap in August of 2012," said Morgan Stanley Apple analyst Katy Huberty.

At the time, Huberty said, Apple was transitioning from a hyper-growth phase to a more sustainable one. It had just posted five consecutive years of more than 70% iPhone shipment growth and 63% annual earnings-per-share growth.

"In the following two years, new CEO Tim Cook managed through a slower growth period while continuing to invest in innovation and initiate the first capital return plan," the analyst added.

During that slower growth period under the helm of Tim Cook, Services still only represented about 10% of revenue. At the time, investors viewed Apple as a "cyclical, product cycle driven hardware company." They don't anymore.

When online retail giant Amazon hit a $600 billion market capitalization in 2018, it was also much larger than Tesla. Morgan Stanley says Tesla was one-fifth the size of Amazon in forward year revenue and one-third the size in terms of forward year EBITDA.

According to internet analyst Brian Nowak, Amazon was building out a significant fulfillment network build and managed to scale its high margin revenue streams.

"Over the course of 2018, sustainable growth in core retail, revenue and record margins justified this elevated investment in fulfillment capacity and allowed the market to appreciate AMZN's long-term addressable market and earnings power," Nowak said.

Currently, Tesla trades at about 80x the Morgan Stanley EBITDA estimate. When it hit $600 billion, Apple was at about 8x the forward year EV/EBITDA, and Amazon was at 22 EV/EBITDA. That means Tesla's multiple is 10-fold that of Apple at the time and 3.5-fold that of Amazon.

The S&P 500 price-to-earnings multiple is also about 75% higher than when Apple hit its $600 billion milestone, and about 21% higher than when Amazon hit that treshold.

"While harder to quantify, we also believe Tesla is garnering greater levels of enthusiasm from investors give nits technological dominance (both demonstrated and perceived) vs. the established competition in the vast global transportation market," the analysts wrote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I might buy Tesla when ... 

Methinks if Apple offers their own car, one will be able to buy Tesla is a dime for a dollar. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Tesla stock is on a bubble.  It has no manufacturing prowess, it's product is all too easily copied, the market for luxury cars is saturated, the rest of the car market is also saturated, anyone who thinks Tesla can be the Apple of auto market will eventually be rudely disappointed.  The only things going for Tesla's sky-high valuation are the die-hard irrational Elon Musk adulators and market speculators who see that and figure there's an opportunity there to part a fool from his money.

I'm not saying Tesla will die, I'm saying the stock price is insane unless you think Tesla will be able to seize half the automobile market.

tmayAI_liaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    tundraboy said:
    Tesla stock is on a bubble.  It has no manufacturing prowess, it's product is all too easily copied, the market for luxury cars is saturated, the rest of the car market is also saturated, anyone who thinks Tesla can be the Apple of auto market will eventually be rudely disappointed.  The only things going for Tesla's sky-high valuation are the die-hard irrational Elon Musk adulators and market speculators who see that and figure there's an opportunity there to part a fool from his money.

I'm not saying Tesla will die, I'm saying the stock price is insane unless you think Tesla will be able to seize half the automobile market.

If it is so easy then why has it not been done yet. They have a tremendous technological lead over every other auto manufacturer in the world. Name one electric car, produced in any volume, that can compete with it. Hint: there are none from anyone. If you have not ridden in a Tesla you will be shocked at the functionality and raw speed. For Toyota, Ford and GM it is a complete embarrassment they have brought nothing to the table yet.
    elijahgbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 17
    tundraboy said:

Tesla is not just a car company. Tesla has the advantage in all area pertaining to BEV. They are a technology/software/AI. They are also a battery company who can rival the largest battery maker in the world once all their giga factories are fully running. They are doing what Apple is doing WRT vertical integration. 

There are no other car makers out there that do same thing they do which is similar to apple in consumer electronics. If you think anyone can do that, Apple can’t even do that if and when the first Apple car is released. 

To put a valuation on Tesla as just car company is short sighted and ignores the other advantages they have. What investors are paying for are the potential of all their capabilities and what they will be able to produce. How much battery do you think is available for all other BEV makers when nickel is already scarce just based on Tesla’s need. Not enough mining operations right now and Tesla already secured the rights to mine nickel in some countries. 

No other companies are building new factories to build batteries. 

Legacy car makers such as GM, Ford, Toyota, Mercedes Benz, Audi, etc. or pick any ICE car makers in world, they’re not building factories to build batteries. How fast do you think it takes them to make changes on their software or the design of the vehicle when there’s a design flaw on them? I’m willing to put a bet that they won’t come close to how fast Tesla does it. 

I own a decent amount of stocks from both company and am a happy investor. Stock prices is not always rational because people who invest are influenced by their feelings based on their experiences. I try hard not to discount anything just because I don’t understand it. 
    elijahgbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jimh2 said:
    tundraboy said:

If it is so easy then why has it not been done yet. They have a tremendous technological lead over every other auto manufacturer in the world. Name one electric car, produced in any volume, that can compete with it. Hint: there are none from anyone. If you have not ridden in a Tesla you will be shocked at the functionality and raw speed. For Toyota, Ford and GM it is a complete embarrassment they have brought nothing to the table yet.
    Agreed.....if you are outside looking in at Tesla, then all you have are useless opinions. You have to own one to get the true fell of why your opinions are valid
  • Reply 6 of 17
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,862member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    jimh2 said:
    tundraboy said:

Agreed.....if you are outside looking in at Tesla, then all you have are useless opinions. You have to own one to get the true fell of why your opinions are valid
    Is Tesla making a actual profit? Without government handouts, how’s that fit and finish...
    tmay
  • Reply 7 of 17
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Tesla are an energy company, specifically an electric battery-based company. Their batteries go into their cars, which capture the headlines, but their batteries also go into residential applications (Powerwall) as well as commercial "battery farms" (Megapacks) to smooth out brown-outs or to eliminate older fossil fuel power plants. The impact of their commercial battery farms is very underestimated, IMO.

Everyone criticises the cars, but they miss the big picture. Tesla already build their own cells and will soon control their own lithium mining for their Gigafactory in Nevada. To me, that's a very long view for company focusing on an electric battery-based future.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    OK, but 80x earnings? That seems excessive.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    The Fed also had’t pumped a few trillion dollars into the economy and interest rates weren’t ridiculously low either ... kind of a pointless comparison, tbh
    dewme
  • Reply 10 of 17
    The only reason Tesla is doing ok is that they are selling carbon credits to laggards like Chrysler and Ford. Once other car manufacturers are selling EVs in volume, this billion dollar revenue streams goes to zero. While Tesla electric technology is good, they are rubbish at traditional car manufacturer's strengths: paint is crap and if you look at the number of times their vehicles need to be serviced, it is at at level other manufacturers will go bankrupt at.

Stock market value is over $500k per car sold: this makes absolutely no sense at all.

They will be ok next 2 years and then it goes downhill fast.

• Reply 11 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    The Fed also had’t pumped a few trillion dollars into the economy and interest rates weren’t ridiculously low either ... kind of a pointless comparison, tbh

I have to agree.You'd have to normalize all of the differences between the past and present economic, societal, investor risk tolerance, monetary policy, size of market, and a plethora of other changing market conditions to do a more accurate and fair comparison. That's probably not even possible, and still may not be meaningful in any way. These kind of stats are interesting tidbits of trivia to fill in a little void in the boredom of everyday life, but do they mean anything? Probably not.
    boxcatcher
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Tesla is doing some good things, but I don't have faith in the completely autonomous stuff based solely on cameras. I just don't see that happening in real life. Another reason, other established auto makers are waking up to doing EVs right: look at Hyundai's newest EV platform, on which they'll build the Ioniq 5 and 6. Tesla will have serious competition soon. Additionally, Elon Musk won't see a dime from me for personal reasons. That's a different story however, but he has a talent of limiting the potential market of Tesla cars.
    tmay
  • Reply 13 of 17
    AI_lias said:
    Tesla will have serious competition soon.
    Said everyone for the last 5+ years. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    AI_lias said:
    Tesla will have serious competition soon.
    Said everyone for the last 5+ years. 
    Profitless Tesla, sans Carbon Credits:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-ev-sales-western-europe-falling/

"In case the last few quarters of profitability haven't hipped you to this, Tesla sells a lot of electric cars. This is true pretty much everywhere that it operates. However, according to a report published Wednesday by InsideEVs, Tesla is no longer the biggest fish in Western Europe.

While other electric vehicle makers have had a relatively slow increase in sales compared to Tesla's big spike and subsequent plateau starting in January of 2019, the slow and steady route seems to be paying off for the Renault Nissan MitsubishiAlliance and the Volkswagen Group, both of which eclipsed Tesla's sales as of August of 2019."

The Model Y isn't going to change that, albeit that Elon is already talking about a redesign as relatively few buyers are interested in the Model Y. 

More to the point, Tesla has no battery advantages over any other manufacturer. 

Did I mention that Tesla's notably shitty service and quality is one of the reasons that buyers are losing interest in Tesla?

edited December 2020
  • Reply 15 of 17
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Congress and the Fed gave billionaires massively more billions. There is just so many yachts they can buy. So instead, they bought stocks. 

Simply law of supply and demand. 40,000,000 people on bread lines, and stocks going through the roof. 

It ain't rocket science. 
  • Reply 16 of 17
    tundraboy said:

People keep saying that, and it's still going up.  I don't think the conventional car manufacturers can catch Tesla.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tmay said:
    A bunch of stuff
    lol — you spend a lot of time on these forums; good luck to you and your opinions!