Apple TV+ scrapped show based on Gawker after Tim Cook heard about it

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Every person, family and company has limits on what exactly it will say or do. In your house, with your neighbors, in a grocery store, there is acceptable behavior and behavior (comments, actions) that one chooses not to partake in. Why is this surprising? And who, other than folks with certain psychological issues, doesn't edit themselves at times? Isn't that the very definition of living in a society? Now, if your job is reporting news, being factual is the main issue. But if your agenda is making entertainment, that will be done with certain limits. The issue here is viewers and customers pick what they consume and a creator is forced to decide if the limits imposed are worth it or not and the company doing the paying has to adjust their thinking based on their corporate issues (money). If I make a TV series making fun of Iowa because they are dumb and backwards (not saying they are but if I did) if that was the only point of the show it may be hard to find anyone to pay me to make it. I could make it on my own, or refocus the show, take out the aspects of the show that is stopping NBC (If I was trying to sell it to NBC) from making it and paying me to make it. No one is stopping any of these people from sharing their ideas, but these folks are looking for someone to bankroll it and that process always comes with certain walls. Capitalism at play here as usual. When you want someone else to pay you to make things, you will have to find what the limits are of that relationship and decide if it's right for you.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Every person, family and company has limits on what exactly it will say or do. In your house, with your neighbors, in a grocery store, there is acceptable behavior and behavior (comments, actions) that one chooses not to partake in. Why is this surprising? And who, other than folks with certain psychological issues, doesn't edit themselves at times? Isn't that the very definition of living in a society? Now, if your job is reporting news, being factual is the main issue. But if your agenda is making entertainment, that will be done with certain limits. The issue here is viewers and customers pick what they consume and a creator is forced to decide if the limits imposed are worth it or not and the company doing the paying has to adjust their thinking based on their corporate issues (money). If I make a TV series making fun of Iowa because they are dumb and backwards (not saying they are but if I did) if that was the only point of the show it may be hard to find anyone to pay me to make it. I could make it on my own, or refocus the show, take out the aspects of the show that is stopping NBC (If I was trying to sell it to NBC) from making it and paying me to make it. No one is stopping any of these people from sharing their ideas, but these folks are looking for someone to bankroll it and that process always comes with certain walls. Capitalism at play here as usual. When you want someone else to pay you to make things, you will have to find what the limits are of that relationship and decide if it's right for you.

It works the other way too:  Those with money are willing to pay somebody to produce things that support their ideology or agenda.

The food and pharmaceutical industries also use those techniques:  Bankroll researchers as long as their research supports their product.

But there are some on both sides of that divide who set limits.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Tim Cook is the last to know what’s going on in his own company? What else doesn’t he know about? 
  • Reply 24 of 35
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    It says in the article that Gawker outed Tim Cook years before he chose to share that private, personal information about himself publicly. It's not unreasonable that he wouldn't want to back a project that portrays a trash tabloid of that nature in any sort of sympathetic light, or in any sort of light at all. Doing so would be a no-win for him. If the show causes viewers to in any way laugh off low-life tabloid intrusions into people's personal lives, then it's doing a public disservice. If, on the other hand, the show takes them to task for their bad behavior, some would undoubtedly play up the angle that Cook is just using his company to exact revenge. His best option is just to cut it loose and let somebody else produce it if they want, or not, if they don't.

P.S. The article says the proposed show was a "dramedy," so this isn't an instance of a media corporation stifling journalism on any subject. 
    edited December 2020 stompyStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    rcfa said:
    Cue also toldApple TV+ creators to "avoid portraying China in a poor light," according to BuzzFeed News
    Great! So don’t make a movie about Tibet, the Korean War, Vietnam either.

We’re lucky Hitler wasn’t allied with the Chinese, or else the standard go-to villains of every unimaginative, lackluster Hollywood flick would be off-limit, too.

And Apple News? I guess they won’t be able to talk about human rights violations or the Dalai Lama either. Songs critical of China, are they going to be purged from Apple Music?

I was contemplating getting an Apple One subscription, but I might watch propaganda for personal edification, but I’m certainly NEVER going to pay for it.

Obviously Apple’s “values” are thoroughly green, as in money, and all the rest of it is only show to create an image to attract financially more potent spenders.

Disgusting! ߤt;br>
    And, no, I don’t hate China as a country, culture, nor have I something about it’s people.
    But it’s regime is more murderous than that of the Nazis, and making that a no-go-topic is on the same level as being a Holocaust denier, and functioning as an extension of China’s censorship authorities in “the land of the free”. Absolutely horrific!

That's all true -- if you believe the propaganda from Haters Incorporated.
    BTW, the guy who started the hate campaign is the fascist who supports Neo-Fascists.   "Fine People"   "Stand By.   Stand Down"
    George you all know this was debunked multiple times now don't you. Who am I kidding, of course you don't. And neither do you care.

From the high number of votes he received from minorities Trump is absolutely terrible at being a racist.  :D
  • Reply 26 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ugh, give it a rest Georgie boy, no one cares about your insanity.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 35
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    GOOD.

I would have shut it down immediately. A scumbag company who died. This wasn't a "nail in the coffin" but rather Apple spitting on their grave.

The dumbest person I know(he's a huge iKnockoff fan and thinks he's the smartest man in the world) said it was wrong for Apple to retrieve their stolen property after the dumb ass read various articles on Gizmodo. This goes to show how powerful the media is and people rely on it for their brains.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    juha otus said:
    It's time to let Tim Apple and his army of China-boot-licking SJWs go, they're messing Apple up and interfering with business decisions. AppleTV+ has nothing but SJW-compliant content, and seems like AppStore is the same.
    Evidently you've not watched anything on AppleTV+, or you'd know your statements are false.  Or maybe you do know your statements are false...
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:
    Don't think I've ever seen 'reportedly' used so much in a single article.

Doesn't sound remotely credible, rather like the story that Cue and Cook were involved in censoring scripts. 
    Back in 2018, The Wall Street Journal reported that Cook had also scrapped a Dr. Dre biopic because it had too much violence and nudity.
    And they went on to make See.

Er … okay.
    Yeah this is the same BS as those rumors that Cook was writing “Be nicer!” in the script notes, and that all content would be G-rated. Then the shows came out — See with brutal gore, and and Morning Show with “Two Fucks Jackson” in the first minutes. 
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 30 of 35
    juha otus said:
    It's time to let Tim Apple and his army of China-boot-licking SJWs go, they're messing Apple up and interfering with business decisions. AppleTV+ has nothing but SJW-compliant content, and seems like AppStore is the same.
    Nah, you’re just full of shit. It’s clear you haven’t watched the library. Plenty of sex, violence, and language. As if that were some sort of quality metric, which it isn’t. 

As for Apple’s policies and stances, they believe in many civil rights conservatives don’t. And they’ve continued to thrive because of it, not despite it. Sounds like you need someone else to be your hero. 
  • Reply 31 of 35

rcfa said:
    Cue also toldApple TV+ creators to "avoid portraying China in a poor light," according to BuzzFeed News

We’re lucky Hitler wasn’t allied with the Chinese, or else the standard go-to villains of every unimaginative, lackluster Hollywood flick would be off-limit, too.

And Apple News? I guess they won’t be able to talk about human rights violations or the Dalai Lama either. Songs critical of China, are they going to be purged from Apple Music?

I was contemplating getting an Apple One subscription, but I might watch propaganda for personal edification, but I’m certainly NEVER going to pay for it.

Obviously Apple’s “values” are thoroughly green, as in money, and all the rest of it is only show to create an image to attract financially more potent spenders.

Disgusting! ߤt;br>
    And, no, I don’t hate China as a country, culture, nor have I something about it’s people.
    But it’s regime is more murderous than that of the Nazis, and making that a no-go-topic is on the same level as being a Holocaust denier, and functioning as an extension of China’s censorship authorities in “the land of the free”. Absolutely horrific!

BTW, the guy who started the hate campaign is the fascist who supports Neo-Fascists.   "Fine People"   "Stand By.   Stand Down"
    Incorrect. As has been proven to you many times, China human rights concerns existed long before Trump. They existed under Obama and long before him. Maybe you recall something about Chinese tanks rolling on student protestors? Their crimes against humanity are not new. Nor are they partisan, UN and BBC and all sorts have reported on the Chinese human rights violations against the Uighurs.

Not sure why you astroturf China so badly, but it has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with China. I suspect you have undisclosed interests. 
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 32 of 35
    razorpit said:
    rcfa said:

Disgusting! ߤt;br>

George you all know this was debunked multiple times now don't you. Who am I kidding, of course you don't. And neither do you care.

From the high number of votes he received from minorities Trump is absolutely terrible at being a racist.  :D

LOL....  What exactly was debunked?   The quotes of Trump that I listed?   Yeh, that's how your right wing propaganda works:  Fact is fiction and fiction is fact.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    crowley said:
    Ugh, give it a rest Georgie boy, no one cares about your insanity.

What? Calling bull to right wing propaganda is now insane?   Really?
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 34 of 35

rcfa said:

Disgusting! ߤt;br>

Incorrect. As has been proven to you many times, China human rights concerns existed long before Trump. They existed under Obama and long before him. Maybe you recall something about Chinese tanks rolling on student protestors? Their crimes against humanity are not new. Nor are they partisan, UN and BBC and all sorts have reported on the Chinese human rights violations against the Uighurs.

Not sure why you astroturf China so badly, but it has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with China. I suspect you have undisclosed interests. 

That's true.   There were CONCERNS.   Trump took those concerns and turned them into a hate filled smear campaign intended to start a cold war -- which is what he and his right wingers do:   They spread fear and hate to get the fools to rally round them.   Meanwhile, here in the U.S. they disparage and attack all those who support human right here in the U.S. -- They attack China for purported human rights abuse and ignore documented human rights abuse that they themselves actually support.  But, their foolish followers think that's just fine and dandy and fail to see the blatant, intentional, hypocrisy in it.   And, like Bush's selling of his Iraq War even manage to suck some peripheral support in for their campaign of hate and fear.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

rcfa said:

Disgusting! ߤt;br>

And once again, Trump's hate campaign against China and its supposed weapon Huawei has been exposed as a distraction:
    As Trump had all eyes on China and Huawei as THE enemy attacking us, it was his buddy Putin and his Russian shills who, once again, attacked our country.
    And, weirdly, they did it exactly the same way that Trump was falsely telling his foolish followers China and Huawei was doing it:  Stealing data and controlling networks via cyberhacks.

At this point we don't even know the extent of the Russian hacks:  we do know that for most of this year they were monitoring communications from almost every government agency as well as thousands of U.S. corporations and that they had the ability to take control of the information systems of those organizations -- including defense, homeland security, state department, treasury and energy -- the department that controls our nuclear arsenal!  

This is why I have warned against Trump's China rhetoric:  it was always a distraction.   Russia has been and continues to be the enemy -- and a close partner of Trump.

And Trump has responded forcefully:   with complete silence.   Not a word.   As if nothing had ever happened.
    ....  But what about the emails?!?!?!?
    ..... But what about Huawei?!?!?!?!?

The foolish fish took his bait.

So what does the U.S. do?
    While we have been attacked multiple times via cyberwarfare and a virus that has decimated our democracy and our economy and health, we continue building more ships, tanks, and warplanes as if we were still living in the 1960's..  

We need modern leadership with their feet planted in reality and willing to address real world threats.   Hopefully Biden will do better.  He likely will if only because he simply can't do any worse.

Added:   Trump's response to the Russian attack?
    "The United States confirmed on Friday it will add dozens of Chinese companies, including the country’s top chipmaker, SMIC, to a trade blacklist."

edited December 2020