Apple makes tvOS 14.3 update available, including Apple Fitness+ support, new content navi...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2020
Apple has released tvOS 14.3 to the public with the Fitness app and improved Apple TV+ content navigation in the TV app.

Apple Fitness+ coming to Apple TV in tvOS 14.3
Apple Fitness+ coming to Apple TV in tvOS 14.3

The Apple TV software does not see major changes in each point update like iOS and macOS do. Instead Apple refines the platform and changes parts of the user experience.

Users can update the Apple TV by opening the Settings, selecting System, then Software Updates, and then Update Software. Once the update is available, select Download and Install.

For tvOS 14.3 Apple added the Fitness app, the vehicle for the Apple Fitness+ subscription service that launched alongside this update. While using the app, you'll be required to connect your Apple Watch running watchOS 7.2 to access the service.

Apple also added refinements to the Apple TV app to improve content discovery. Apple TV+ content was obfuscated behind a confusing UI, and Apple hopes the changes bring its exclusive movies and TV shows to the forefront of the app.

Lastly, Apple also included support for AirPods Max, the company's new personal audio accessory. The over-ear headphones will work with the Apple TV for audio playback under the tvOS update.

Apple also released iOS 14.3, iPadOS 14.3, and watchOS 7.2 with compatibility for the latest products and new features like ProRAW on the iPhone 12 Pro. All of your devices need to be running the latest software to take advantage of the multi-screen experience that Apple Fitness+ provides.

The first version of tvOS 14 brought better picture-in-picture support, HomeKit Doorbell alerts and camera feeds, UI customization and more to Apple's set-top streamer. Updates since then have included bug fixes and minor changes to the UI.

Alongside the tvOS 14 update for the fourth- and fifth-generation Apple TV units, is an update to 8.4.6 for the third-generation Apple TV unit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I’m really enjoying these workout previews. Think I need to bite the bullet and finally get my Apple Watch and signup. 
    gregoriusmcaladanianGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 12
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member

It would be kind of useful, if you could get into the habit of listing build number along with version numbers.

This is important, because sometimes Apple sneaks in a minor revision, only noticeable by looking at build numbers, and developers and others with access to prerelease builds often get release candidates no longer marked as beta software. It’s then key to know if one has actually the released version installed, and not just something “relatively close to it”

So, please!
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 12
    vahancouvervahancouver Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Just did my first Fitness+ workout. Really enjoyed it. Was smiling the whole time. Seeing the heart rate and the calories on the screen is so engaging. Can’t wait to do them all!
    BeatscaladanianStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I get the notification on my watch to connect and when I hit connect on the watch the Apple TV says pairing canceled. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Just updated all my devices and I’m unable to download the fitness app on both my iPads.  It says this app requires specific features not available on this device. Anyone else having problems downloading?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Not giving the rest of Apple TV Channels their own tab as well was a mistake. If Apple wants to boost subscriptions for those channels, they need to make them more visible as well along with Apple TV+ (given it is a channel like the rest of them). 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    So they improved the TV App? That app is a fu**ing mess. Apple needs to calm down with all the advertisements and just show us OUR content, ads 2nd.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Lost my connection to homepod on apple tv.....dang Apple
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Apple has released tvOS 14.3 to the public with the Fitness app and improved Apple TV+ content navigation in the TV app.

Alongside the tvOS 14 update for the fourth- and fifth-generation Apple TV units, is an update to 8.4.6 for the third-generation Apple TV unit.

My understanding is that 8.4.6 is the iOS version that the TVOS version for these older devices is based on.  People might rather know the version number that the device reports in settings. The third gen AppleTV reports this version in settings as 7.6.2 (with build number 8144).  

• Reply 10 of 12
    I’m really enjoying these workout previews. Think I need to bite the bullet and finally get my Apple Watch and signup. 
    The Apple Watch -- especially if it has LTE -- is great for tracking workouts.   But it does so much more -- it's a mountain of little small things.

In many ways, my watch is replacing my phone.   I feel quite comfortable leaving the phone behind and mostly use it for stuff that requires a full screen.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I really liked the Core and Strength workouts by Kyle:   Both were for normal human beings instead of hardcore athletes and they used 3 people one of whom demonstrated easier alternatives to each exercise.   And, mostly I liked it because Kyle was not one of those bouncy, happy types trying to convince you that doing hard work was fun and that you were enjoying it.   He was, instead, more serious, and more genuine.

Unfortunately, right now though, its only working on the AppleTV.   it won't work on the iPad Gen6.   Apparently there are a lot of reports of random problems where it won't work on certain iPads even though it says the iPad is compaitible.   An iPad would, i think, be better than a TV because its can be hard trying to look up to the TV while doing some of the floor exercises.   I'm sure Apple will have those wrinkles worked out quickly.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    n iPad would, i think, be better than a TV because its can be hard trying to look up to the TV while doing some of the floor exercises.   I'm sure Apple will have those wrinkles worked out quickly.
    Not to mention some workout machines, bikes, etc., have mounts for tablets.
    GeorgeBMac