HomePod software update 14.3 now available

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Tuesday afternoon, the HomePod and HomePod mini received a software update to version 14.3 providing general performance and stability fixes to users.

HomePod OS updated to version 14.3
HomePod OS updated to version 14.3

The HomePod and HomePod mini run a specialized version of tvOS and receive updates sporadically when compared to Apple's other operating systems. Updates generally include bug fixes and improvements for features attached to the larger ecosystem.

The last HomePod software update was for version 14.2.1 which was another bug fix update.

The last major update was for HomePod OS 14.1 which included support for HomePod mini and new features like Intercom. The updates normally skip numbers to match whatever current iOS or tvOS version is currently available.

The HomePod mini released in November for $100 and features the same Siri interactions and great sound associated with the original HomePod. AppleInsider reviewed the HomePod mini and gave it 4.5 out of 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Hey Siri turn the Christmas Tree Lights on
    OK the Christmas tree lights is on

Fixed!

hey Siri turn the Christmas Tree Lights on
    OK the Christmas tree lights are on
    InspiredCodewilliamlondonbaludave marsh
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Can it finally default to Spotify?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Scot1 said:

Fixed!

Finally!!!
    Scot1dave marsh
  • Reply 4 of 18
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    Has anyone else had issues lately of IoT switches, cameras, etc., dropping off of their wifi network suddenly and all at once? I've tried a number of things to try to isolate the cause (including swapping out routers), and have been mystified so far. One possibility is that something in the previous TVOS/HomePodOS updates did something jangly with HomeKit hubs that was causing some sort of cascading error resulting in devices dumping off the network (and I mean totally off the network; not just missing from HomeKit. At the same time, Macs, HomePods, iPads, iPhones, ATVs, etc, stayed connected.). I've updated all the HomeKit hub devices to 14.3, so hopefully that was it and it's been corrected. 
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I’m enjoying my HomePod Mini very much so far. I'm still trying to figure out which radio stations I can request with Siri commands which is preferable to using AirPlay to cast from my iPhone. It appears that BBC Radio 2 and Virgin Radio are not provided by TuneIn. The BBC Sounds app plays BBC Radio 2 and I can use AirPlay to send this to my HomePod Mini but I'd much prefer to play it directly on the HomePod like I do with Absolute 80s. I have the Virgin Radio app on my iPhone and I can use AirPlay to cast to my HomePod.
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I ordered mine on the first day available and still waiting here in Canada - should be delivered between "24 Dec - 5 Jan".

Intercom question: if you use the HPM to send an intercom message, will it announce the message to people wearing other brands of bluetooth headsets or corded headphones, or only AirPods? I really don't want to buy AirPods for my kids - too easy to lose!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    AppleZulu said:
    Has anyone else had issues lately of IoT switches, cameras, etc., dropping off of their wifi network suddenly and all at once? I've tried a number of things to try to isolate the cause (including swapping out routers), and have been mystified so far. One possibility is that something in the previous TVOS/HomePodOS updates did something jangly with HomeKit hubs that was causing some sort of cascading error resulting in devices dumping off the network (and I mean totally off the network; not just missing from HomeKit. At the same time, Macs, HomePods, iPads, iPhones, ATVs, etc, stayed connected.). I've updated all the HomeKit hub devices to 14.3, so hopefully that was it and it's been corrected. 
    I commented a week or two ago that my HK stuff (lights, outlets, switches, sensors) have all been really stable the past year or so. For me they’re getting more stable, not less. 
    selleringtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    stevemebs said:
    I ordered mine on the first day available and still waiting here in Canada - should be delivered between "24 Dec - 5 Jan".

Intercom question: if you use the HPM to send an intercom message, will it announce the message to people wearing other brands of bluetooth headsets or corded headphones, or only AirPods? I really don't want to buy AirPods for my kids - too easy to lose!
    I believe that Intercom is a feature of the Apple eco-system, it is limited to Apple devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mobird said:
    stevemebs said:

I believe that Intercom is a feature of the Apple eco-system, it is limited to Apple devices.
    To clarify I do mean other bluetooth headsets and Apple corded headphones connected to Apple devices (iPod touch, iPhones).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    stevemebs said:
    mobird said:
    stevemebs said:

To clarify I do mean other bluetooth headsets and Apple corded headphones connected to Apple devices (iPod touch, iPhones).
    On iPhones/iPads it appears as a notification that you can listen to. Not sure it announces the audio without interaction? If it does, like Messages, that’s an AirPods/Beats feature. 
    stevemebswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    All my Lifx lights and Aqara devices stopped responding yesterday and couldn’t get them to work with anything I tried. Updating 14.3 didn’t solve the problem either. Anyone have the same problem?

My Eve devices are working and so is my Schlage lock and Homepods and Apple TV
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Scot1 said:

Fixed!

YEAH!  This was an annoying bug introduced in a recent update.  Glad it’s fixed.  It was really annoying.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member

How to change the default music app on HomePod

https://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/977789

Yes with the release of IOS 14. Last I heard people were waiting for Spotify to update it's app to allow this. I can't confirm if Spotify has allowed this since I use Apple Music. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    JosephAU said:
    All my Lifx lights and Aqara devices stopped responding yesterday and couldn’t get them to work with anything I tried. Updating 14.3 didn’t solve the problem either. Anyone have the same problem?

My Eve devices are working and so is my Schlage lock and Homepods and Apple TV

I have one problematic LIFX bulb, but it's on the outskirts of my WiFi coverage. Will be buying another satellite for my mesh network to expand reliable coverage,
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    AppleZulu said:
    No. 

The first thing you should do is to check your Wi-Fi performance at the spot where each IoT device resides. You can do this using an app like “Wi-Fi SweetSpots.” Make sure you select the same network (SSID) your IoT devices are on. 

It really should not matter but I’ve always had better reliability with run of the mill IoT devices like smart plugs when they are all using 2.4 GHz channels. 

Better still if you make sure the radio frequency chosen on the Wi-Fi access point (or integrated router with Wi-Fi) are known to have low or no interference from neighbors. Wi-Fi analyzer tools like inSSIDer can help you find the best channel for you home. If you have close neighbors who aren’t network savvy they probably have their Wi-Fi on whatever the default channels are for their access point/integrated router with the power cranked all the way up. Oftentimes simply choosing non default channels (for both 2.4 and 5) will make your setup much better. 

In general I only use 5 GHz Wi-Fi for stationary devices or devices that maintain line of sight or very close proximity access to a Wi-Fi antenna at all times. Apple devices and especially iPhones seem to hold on very tightly to the first antenna they find. If it’s a 5 GHz channel the iPhone will crank up the radio power to hang on to a weak or obstructed signal and the battery will drain quickly and Wi-Fi performance will be erratic. You can see this readily with Wi-Fi analysis tools like Wi-Fi SweetSpots. The big numbers on the 5 GHz channels are compelling but you’ll see that as you move the device around or even just reorient it in your hand the performance can plummet quite drastically. Measure measure measure...

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 18
    You ask that many times - the HomePod has supported this for many months.  

You get the same answer many times - that's up to Spotify to add the functionality to their app.  
    dewmemike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    AppleZulu said:
    I commented a week or two ago that my HK stuff (lights, outlets, switches, sensors) have all been really stable the past year or so. For me they’re getting more stable, not less. 
    I find HomeKit (Hue lighting & Eve Energy) to be much faster with Siri on HomePod Mini than iPhone or Watch. HomePod Mini just carries out the request immediately whereas on my iPhone or Watch I get  reply such as "i'm on it" or "10-4" and then the lights go on or off.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Scot1 said:

Fixed!

Finally!!!
    I was going say this update didn't make HomePod Siri any smarter, but I see that it did. :D 

Has Spotify finally decided to allow HomePod support?