Apple TV app coming to Chromecast with Google TV in early 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Apple TV app with Apple TV+ is coming to the Chromecast with Google TV--Google's set-top-box competitor.

Apple TV app coming to Chromecast with Google TV
Apple TV app coming to Chromecast with Google TV

The Apple TV app has been available on multiple set-top-boxes, smart TVs and even game consoles, but it has always eluded Google's hardware, until now. The Apple TV app and all of its content is coming to the Chromecast with Google TV set-top-box.

The announcement comes after Apple Music was added to Google's smart speaker lineup. This shows Apple is not shy to include its media services on alternate platforms.

The Apple TV app on Chromecast with Google TV will include access to all iTunes purchased content, Apple TV+, and any Apple TV Channels you've subscribed to. The app will retain its UI from other Apple products and function similarly, only lacking the ability to launch content from other apps such as Hulu.

The Apple TV app will be available on Chromecast with Google TV early in 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I have been waiting patiently for Apple to release a new TV. I am hoping I don’t have to wait too much longer and that Apple have something good to release early in 2021. Seeing competitors like the Chromecast get the Apple TV app is somewhat confusing and also frustrating. I may end up having to get a Chromecast as I don’t wish to pay full price for an TV to see a new updated model come out soon afterwards.
    svanstrom
  • Reply 2 of 6
    "The announcement comes after Apple Music was added to Google's smart speaker lineup. This shows Apple is not shy to include its media services on alternate platforms."

Yeah ... Apple Music was added to Google's smart speaker lineup years after it was added to Amazon's and 2.5 years after the release of the original HomePod. Apple TV+ will also come to the Android ecosystem over a year after having been launched on massive ecosystems like lgOS, Tizen and Roku OS. So replace "not shy" with "kicking and screaming as a last resort." Apple Music was added to Google Assistant speakers only after/because Apple had to finally accept that the platform wasn't going to fail. Which to be fair Google Home speakers did but Nest branding as well as getting third party manufacturers on board - the Lenovo "smart alarm clock" Google Assistant devices have been a popular stocking stuffer, especially the $25 one that is essentially a Nest Mini with the same sort of display that you see on cheap fitness trackers which displays time and weather - revived it. And getting it on Android TV - Chromecast with Google TV first followed by Android TV in general a few months thereafter which will be inclusive of set top boxes and smart TVs - is a clear reflection on subscriber numbers, which aren't that large even after over a year of giving it away to everyone who buys so much as a $329 iPad or $160 Apple TV, and soon the promo period (which was extended) and Apple will need to see how many people renew. 

Had HomePods, Apple TV sales and Apple TV+ subscriptions met internal expectations, Apple Music and Apple TV+ would be no more likely to be on Google Assistant and Android than iCloud is. While Apple could certainly make money off an iCloud app on Android - it would be useful for the many people who own an Android phone but an iPad and/or MacBook - so many iPhone, iPad and macOS users pay for cloud storage that they don't need to. 
    Beats
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Great news. Finally. Now I can use the $50 Chromecast instead of shelling out $150 for an Apple TV. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    cloudguy said:
    "The announcement comes after Apple Music was added to Google's smart speaker lineup. This shows Apple is not shy to include its media services on alternate platforms."

Yeah ... Apple Music was added to Google's smart speaker lineup years after it was added to Amazon's and 2.5 years after the release of the original HomePod. Apple TV+ will also come to the Android ecosystem over a year after having been launched on massive ecosystems like lgOS, Tizen and Roku OS. So replace "not shy" with "kicking and screaming as a last resort." Apple Music was added to Google Assistant speakers only after/because Apple had to finally accept that the platform wasn't going to fail. Which to be fair Google Home speakers did but Nest branding as well as getting third party manufacturers on board - the Lenovo "smart alarm clock" Google Assistant devices have been a popular stocking stuffer, especially the $25 one that is essentially a Nest Mini with the same sort of display that you see on cheap fitness trackers which displays time and weather - revived it. And getting it on Android TV - Chromecast with Google TV first followed by Android TV in general a few months thereafter which will be inclusive of set top boxes and smart TVs - is a clear reflection on subscriber numbers, which aren't that large even after over a year of giving it away to everyone who buys so much as a $329 iPad or $160 Apple TV, and soon the promo period (which was extended) and Apple will need to see how many people renew. 

Had HomePods, Apple TV sales and Apple TV+ subscriptions met internal expectations, Apple Music and Apple TV+ would be no more likely to be on Google Assistant and Android than iCloud is. While Apple could certainly make money off an iCloud app on Android - it would be useful for the many people who own an Android phone but an iPad and/or MacBook - so many iPhone, iPad and macOS users pay for cloud storage that they don't need to. 

Apple doesn't own knockoff platforms sh**. I would have Steve Jobs these sh** companies and not gave them any Apple services.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I have been waiting patiently for Apple to release a new TV. I am hoping I don’t have to wait too much longer and that Apple have something good to release early in 2021. Seeing competitors like the Chromecast get the Apple TV app is somewhat confusing and also frustrating. I may end up having to get a Chromecast as I don’t wish to pay full price for an TV to see a new updated model come out soon afterwards.
    Personally, as a happy user of Chromecast (primarily with Plex), the Chromecast was always what I wanted the Apple TV to be.

I simply don't need an Apple TV that is yet another fully functioning independent computer (albeit limited to certain uses); I just want what's more or less wireless HDMI (but with a bit of modern spice).

A tiny device that I can plug into any tv/display, and use with a combined interface that across all Apple platforms handles all displays (physically connected, AirPlay, Sidecar…).

Slap a bit of spacial audio on top of that and I'd be happy.
    sellerington
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cloudguy said:

I think you are wrong - Apple is moving to services.  iCloud is "free" for Apple hardware owners & binds the Apple ecosystem together.  iCloud needs to stay secure (like iMessage) - this could not happen on other platforms...  

Apple Music, AppleTV+, etc., are money earning services and that's where Apple's trying to improve their revenue.
    watto_cobra