Major news publishers association joins the Coalition for App Fairness

Posted:
in General Discussion
A trade association representing major U.S. news publishers has joined the Coalition for App Fairness, the group known for criticizing Apple's App Store policies.

Credit: Coalition for App Fairness
Credit: Coalition for App Fairness

Digital Context Next, which represents media outlets like The New York Times, The Associated Press, The Washington Post, and NPR, joined the Coalition for App Fairness as its 50th member and the first group to represent the news and media industry.

In a statement, DCN said it is "pleased to join the Coalition for App Fairness working to establish a fair and competitive digital landscape."

"The premium publisher members of DCN enjoy trusted, direct relationships with consumers, who don't expect intermediaries to impose arbitrary fees and rules which limit their ability to consume the news and entertainment they love," said DCN CEO Jason Kint.

Although the first U.S. media trade association to become a member of the coalition, the DCN joins other media organizations already a part of the group -- including the European Publishers Council and News Media Europe.

The coalition calls for fair treatment on app stores and increased regulations on app marketplaces. It takes particular issue with alleged anti-competitive behavior on the App Store and payment systems like Apple's 30% cut of in-app purchases.

Among other members, the Coalition for App Fairness includes developers like Spotify, Basecamp, and "Fortnite" maker Epic Games -- all of whom have had their own dustups with the Cupertino tech giant in the past.

News publishers have also pushed back against some of Apple's App Store policies, including its commission rate. In August, DCN reached out to Apple CEO Tim Cook and asked it to reduce its 30% cut.

Some of Apple's app store policies have also received criticism from lawmakers and government entities. A U.S. House investigation found that Apple enjoys "
monopoly power" on the App Store, and the European Union is currently in the midst of its own antitrust probe.

Likely spurred by the scrutiny, Apple in November introduced a new small business program that cuts the company's commission to 15% for developers making less than $1 million through the App Store. In June, Apple also changed some of its App Store guidelines to make it easier for developers to file appeals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    "The premium publisher members of DCN enjoy trusted, direct relationships with consumers, who don't expect intermediaries to impose arbitrary fees and rules which limit their ability to consume the news and entertainment they love," said DCN CEO Jason Kint.
    I specifically buy my news from Apple News+ because I don't want media companies to know who I am. I don't want a "direct relationship" with the people I buy my news from. Yet that's what the newspapers say that they want. I won't give them my money if they have to know who I am. I even hate my own telephone, bank and internet providers because I get unwanted emails (ads) from them. Why won't anyone give me what I want - privacy? You can have my money, but only as long as you give me privacy.

So finally one company gets it - Apple. They seem to be the ONLY company that respects my privacy. Now they are worth a trillion dollars - or two. A lot of that value comes from the fact that Apple respects our privacy and people buy into them because of that. And now we're going to punish Apple for being the only company to give us what we want to buy?

If these newspapers want my money without me going through a trusted third party, maybe they should create their own trusted third party who will not give my personal details and email address to anyone. If they did that, they could persuade me to buy through them instead of Apple. But they won't do that because at a fundamental level they do NOT respect my privacy and want me to give up my privacy and my money. Not going to happen.
    magman1979viclauyycosmartormenajr
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Don’t see any consumer groups joining, but then again turkeys do annually vote for Thanksgiving, so no need, right?

Would be great to see a full page ad in a big paper with the views commonly espoused by, for example, people in this forum instead of the one-sided (big money) view only on these issues.
    magman1979
  • Reply 3 of 14
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Newspapers, like other corporations, are in the business of making money, especially for their owners and CEO's. They do have a side business called News, which they vend. Like most businesses, they're major business is selling ads to other corporations to get to you buy stuff, even stuff you don't want or need. 

So, it's critically important that they track who reads them because that is the only way they know to send you ads and news that will hook you in. 

I think this is attributed to Mark Twain: "If you don't read the papers, you're uninformed. If you read the papers, you're misinformed." 

And, these are the reputable papers, not Fox, or Alex Jones, etc. 

The latest outrage was the report of a couple of medical workers, with severe allergies, who got the Pfizer vaccine and suffered an anaphylactoid response. American newspaper went ape over this -- which is absolutely nothing that isn't expected by medical professionals and they are always wholly prepared for. It only required the news to inform the public that this not unusual response occurred and it was to be expected in some cases such as these patients. Instead they made a routine medical occurrence a headline. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 4 of 14
    A bunch of terrible news organizations which have seen drastic reductions in the quality of their reporting? Gee, what a shock.
    razorpitmagman1979NotoriousDEV
  • Reply 5 of 14
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    larryjw said:

Any of those reputable papers bother to cover the Hunter Biden story when the news first broke, as to kind of covering it now? Any of them bother to investigate the election corruption charges (2020 not 2016) that had tons of affidavits and evidence instead of immediately writing it off (pun intended) as fake news? How about the AMA's recent retraction of its previous stance against prescription of Hydroxychloroquine to COVID-19 patients? Hundreds of thousands of people needlessly died from that one.

These "reputable papers" are a joke.
    NotoriousDEVwilliamlondonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Scumbags biting the hand that feeds them, sums up this whole detestable soap opera nicely...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    And they will tell Apple and others what ‘fair’ is?  (/s)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    razorpit said:
    larryjw said:

So are Trumpy talking points, absent any critical thinking, logic or individual analysis opting instead for mindless repetition along partisan lines.
    mknelsonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    razorpit said:
    larryjw said:

Any of those reputable papers bother to cover the Hunter Biden story when the news first broke, as to kind of covering it now? Any of them bother to investigate the election corruption charges (2020 not 2016) that had tons of affidavits and evidence instead of immediately writing it off (pun intended) as fake news? How about the AMA's recent retraction of its previous stance against prescription of Hydroxychloroquine to COVID-19 patients? Hundreds of thousands of people needlessly died from that one.

I’ll just leave this here …

• The American Medical Association never took back its March statement concerning hydroxychloroquine. The group tweeted that Rush Limbaugh’s claim is wrong.

• The AMA considered a resolution to rescind a previous statement on the drug when the group’s policymaking body met in November. But it ultimately rejected the resolution.

• The website Limbaugh cited has corrected its story.

edited December 2020 mknelsonwilliamlondonapplguyGeorgeBMaccrowley
  • Reply 10 of 14
    razorpit said:
    larryjw said:

No, actual news outlets don't propagate nonsense, political propaganda and chicanery.
    Thankfully though they are increasingly exposing the lies from propaganda outlets.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    razorpit said:

I don’t like, nor want, to call people stupid... but they got to meet me halfway and stop being stupid.

That bit of “news” was given way more airtime than it warranted for. And that’s just because there was nothing there! Big nothingburger as far as anyone credible could see.

We don’t have to jump all the hoops every time a right wing nut yanks a “story” out of their butt, just so other nuts feel that all is fair and balanced. That’s called feeding the trolls!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 14
    0ID00ID0 Posts: 26member
    Who founded this organization?
    The Politico newspapers is gaining incredible influence and lobbying power in Brussel, dictating in the European edition, whats good for EU and what not. 

Are you the puppet player Politico?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    0ID0 said:
    Who founded this organization?
    The Politico newspapers is gaining incredible influence and lobbying power in Brussel, dictating in the European edition, whats good for EU and what not. 

Are you the puppet player Politico?
    Have you just discovered that Politico has a newsletter called EU Influence that investigates lobbying and campaigning within the EU and assumed that there is a conspiracy?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    razorpit said:

I don’t like, nor want, to call people stupid... but they got to meet me halfway and stop being stupid.

That bit of “news” was given way more airtime than it warranted for. And that’s just because there was nothing there! Big nothingburger as far as anyone credible could see.

We don’t have to jump all the hoops every time a right wing nut yanks a “story” out of their butt, just so other nuts feel that all is fair and balanced. That’s called feeding the trolls!

The trouble is:  That kind of propaganda went unchallenged for 20 years while sane people believed the truth would simply prevail.   But, when the lies were repeated over and over and over in the right wing echo chamber, to the followers, they became the new reality.  And, now that they've been radicalized, the propaganda machine has been weaponized and is in full assault mode.

osmartormenajr