Boss Audio Systems introduces new $399 aftermarket wireless CarPlay unit

Posted:
in General Discussion
Boss Audio has a new wireless CarPlay multimedia player with a capacitive touchscreen and steering wheel control options for $399.99.

Boss wireless CarPlay multimedia players
Boss wireless CarPlay multimedia players

Wireless CarPlay was first introduced in 2015 but has seen a very slow rollout among car manufacturers and aftermarket units. The feature has trickled down to affordable consumer vehicles released in 2020 like the 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe and the 2021 Honda Accord.

Aftermarket multimedia players have been the best way to get CarPlay to consumers, since replacing a stereo is much cheaper than replacing an entire vehicle. Boss Audio claims to be the first American-based aftermarket brand to make a wireless CarPlay unit.

There are a total of four multimedia players available, two via Boss and two via the company's portfolio brands Planet Audio and Sound Storm Laboratories. The four models give customers some choice over fit and finish, but they are all priced the same and have the same set of features.

The features include:
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay
  • Capacitive 6.75-inch Touchscreen
  • Multicolor Illumination
  • Bluetooth Audio Streaming
  • Compatible with Audio Output of iPod/iPhone, Smartphones and MP3 Players
  • Front & Rear Camera Input
  • Front, Rear, Sub Pre-Amp Outputs
  • Aux In (3.5 mm)
  • Switchable U.S. & EU Tuner Frequencies
  • Steering Wheel Control Input (Interface not included)
  • USB Port: CarPlay & Android Auto, USB 2A Fast Charging
The RBDS Tuner is available on all models except the Boss Elite.

The Vice President of Marketing at Boss Audio, Xin Hamilton, had this to say about introducing the new multimedia players.

"They say the future is wireless and we couldn't agree more. Today's drivers are demanding easier, more customizable car audio experiences that don't require a cord," said Hamilton. "We're excited to provide them with a bespoke suite of entertainment, customized navigation, and personalized communication options, all of which are easily accessible and inclusive of safety features like rear camera input that keep drivers and their passenger safe and happy."

The four available units each cost $399.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    As mentioned  before the car2airplay adapter works brilliantly for anyone who has "wired" CarPlay and wants wireless CarPlay. Works perfectly on my VW with iOS 14.3
    mobirdStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    loopless said:
    As mentioned  before the car2airplay adapter works brilliantly for anyone who has "wired" CarPlay and wants wireless CarPlay. Works perfectly on my VW with iOS 14.3

I have car2airplay too. I have noticed a slight lag in Maps and odd behavior with notifications.

Anybody that wants one, but sure to be ready for a long wait if directly ordered from the company (ordered in April). It can take months. They said they shipped 2 weeks after ordering with a tracking number, but no movement. After 1 month, I emailed them again, then packaged finally was picked up. Then it got stuck in Customs for another month. When it cleared customs, it still didn't move for weeks until I contacted them again. They said they would get their contact to pick it up. Then it finally arrived 3 months later.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mobirdmobird Posts: 754member
    loopless said:
    Have a car2airplay in my Ford Edge Sport, automatically chooses my Wife's or my iPhone.
    And as with your experience it works brilliantly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I have an aftermarket kenwood unit with wireless carplay in my old Mazda. It is so awesome you really would not want to go back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    loopless said:
    Thanks, I may get that. I have a supported Subaru and for short trips not having to plug in would be nice (especially with a MagSafe charging dock!?). Surprised the automakers haven't made wireless CarPlay a thing yet if it's this easy for a third party.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8

mobird said:
    loopless said:
    Have a car2airplay in my Ford Edge Sport, automatically chooses my Wife's or my iPhone.
    And as with your experience it works brilliantly.
    Reading their FAQ, it says it will use the last-paired phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lol anyone else read that as Bose?

then be like. oh, Boss.
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8

So my cplay2air was behind on firmwares. It must have updated 4 times (looks like latest version was last month)……...still has an issue with FaceTime video. When I have my phone plugged directly in and someone calls FaceTime Video, CarPlay would switch it to FaceTime Audio. With cplay2air in, the FaceTime Video call is just hung up on.

I have not got any notifications yet, but I think it will be the same why as before if calls are that way.

watto_cobra