Steve Wozniak's handwritten Apple II schematics fetch over $630,000 at auction

Posted:
in General Discussion
Boston's RR Auction held an Apple-themed auction, in which they sold both a fully operational Apple-1 computer as well as a 23-page handwritten document by Steve Wozniak detailing notes and diagrams for the Apple II breadboard.

The work-in-progress documents were penned in 1975 and included five pages of circuit schematics, six photocopied pages headed "Bus Sources," "System Timing," "Display," "Sync Timing & Adr. Gen," and "Timing," and a 12-page handwritten programming instruction guide consisting of 28 steps.

Wozniak also provided a letter of provenance, which reads:
"These documents, circa 1975, are my original Apple II prototype schematics and programming instructions. They are precious. On these work-in-progress diagrams, you can even see my breadboarding technique, where I'd go over drawn connections in red as I soldered the wires in. At the time, I favored using a purple felt tip pen for writing, so it's interesting to see these notes decades on. The prototype was hand-wired while I was still an engineer at Hewlett-Packard's Advanced Product Division, where I was involved in the design of hand-held calculators."
Also sold in the auction was a fully operational Apple-1 computer. The lot also included an Apple Cassette Interface, original operation manuals, a vintage Apple-I power supply, a vintage Datanetics keyboard in a wooden case, a 1976 Sanyo monitor, and a Panasonic cassette player, and the Apple-1 box, which was signed by Wozniak. The Apple-1 sold for $736,862.

"The market for Steve Jobs and Apple-related memorabilia continues to perform exceedingly well," said Bobby Livingston, Executive VP at RR Auction. "Our consignor is excited that the Apple-1 is going to a good home where it will be well preserved and shared with hundreds of Apple enthusiasts who otherwise would never have the opportunity to own the computer that changed the world."

In March, another functional Apple-1 computer had sold for $458,711, and appeared on an episode of History Channel's "Pawn Stars." Three years prior, one sold in Germany for over $101,000.

Even vintage Apple manuals can prove to be valuable. In July of 2019, an original Apple-1 manual in good condition sold for $12,296 to a "technology entrepreneur from the northeastern United States."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Nerdtastic. It's even on classic green & beige engineering notepad paper. I can't make out the components on the left hand page but the 555 timer based pulse generator diagram and assembler code on the right page are classic and very familiar to anyone with a EE background. I hope the new owner enjoys their acquisition of a little bit of Woz history.
    steve_jobswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    dewme said:
    Nerdtastic. It's even on classic green & beige engineering notepad paper. I can't make out the components on the left hand page but the 555 timer based pulse generator diagram and assembler code on the right page are classic and very familiar to anyone with a EE background. I hope the new owner enjoys their acquisition of a little bit of Woz history.
    Indeed,  the assembly code brings back me dabbling with the now archaic 6502 cpu...  people would write code that would even run in the VBI (vertical blanking interrupt) on some computers back in the day... That was a period of time when the 60hz screen would refresh.    Now with todays display tech there is no such thing.  Thanks to the author for sharing this piece of history... from a much simpler but still complex time.
    edited December 2020 steve_jobswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    M68000 said:
    dewme said:
    Indeed,  the assembly code brings back me dabbling with the now archaic 6502 cpu...  people would write code that would even run in the VBI (vertical blanking interrupt) on some computers back in the day... That was a period of time when the 60hz screen would refresh.    Now with todays display tech there is no such thing.  Thanks to the author for sharing this piece of history... from a much simpler but still complex time.
    It’s amazing that decades old technology like the 555 timer (early 1970s) and 741 op amp (late 1960s) are still relevant today. Even some core software routines that we thought of as having an ephemeral quality have survived to this day. I’d bet there are some pieces of code in both macOS and Windows 10 that are older than the developers who are responsible for maintaining the code. 
    steve_jobswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    I still have a pad of that green paper I purchased during my engineering school days in the early 1990s.  That great paper is impossible to find here in Japan, so I've used it sparingly through the years.  My pad is still half full.  It's really great paper for taking notes, making technical drawings, etc.  As such, I think my pad of that paper is worth far more than those badly written Woz notes.  Sure, the Woz sketches are interesting to look at for a few seconds on the internet, but those actual sheets of paper are certainly not with several hundred thousand dollars.  It's really crazy to ponder what silly things some folks will pay top dollar for, only because it has some tiny connection to a famous name or brand.  I'm sure even Woz feels the same.
    steve_jobs
  • Reply 5 of 9
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    jdw said:
    I still have a pad of that green paper I purchased during my engineering school days in the early 1990s.  That great paper is impossible to find here in Japan, so I've used it sparingly through the years.  My pad is still half full.  It's really great paper for taking notes, making technical drawings, etc.  As such, I think my pad of that paper is worth far more than those badly written Woz notes.  Sure, the Woz sketches are interesting to look at for a few seconds on the internet, but those actual sheets of paper are certainly not with several hundred thousand dollars.  It's really crazy to ponder what silly things some folks will pay top dollar for, only because it has some tiny connection to a famous name or brand.  I'm sure even Woz feels the same.
    Not sure how your blank paper that is even younger than what is being offered is worth more than a handwritten Apple II schematic by Steve Wozniak himself?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jdw said:
    I don’t know ... but maybe if you throw in some semi log graph paper and a few Smith charts you can get Woz’s selling price x 1.0 E-6 on EBay for your stuff. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    JinTech said:
    jdw said:
    Not sure how your blank paper that is even younger than what is being offered is worth more than a handwritten Apple II schematic by Steve Wozniak himself?
    jdw is indicating his blank pad is more valuable to him than the Woz drawings.  The value of anything is purely dependent on the individual.  In much the same way some of my designs on that same type of paper are worth more to me than anything from Woz.  I wish I could sell some of my designs for that kind of money.

jdw, I still buy and use that paper on a regular basis.  If you would like, I can send a few pads your way.
    jdw
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I interviewed Woz about 10 years ago for a Tech All Hands at Zappos. I had written all of my questions down on an engineering pad. I've been using them for over 30 years. Woz noticed, and he was surprised I was still using an engineering pad. I said to him (not as flippantly as it will sound in writing): "You know, you can buy one and use it now." I've often wondered if he started using them again.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    RAD said:
    I interviewed Woz about 10 years ago for a Tech All Hands at Zappos. I had written all of my questions down on an engineering pad. I've been using them for over 30 years. Woz noticed, and he was surprised I was still using an engineering pad. I said to him (not as flippantly as it will sound in writing): "You know, you can buy one and use it now." I've often wondered if he started using them again.
    I have a pad sitting in front of me right now, and use them all the time!