Apple, other browser makers block certificate used for surveillance in Kazakhstan

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
A number of browser makers, including Apple, have banned a root certificate that was being used by the Kazakhstan government to spy on its citizens.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The certificate was being used to intercept and decrypt HTTPS traffic from residents in Nur-Sultan, the capital citizen of Kazakhstan. On Dec. 6, local internet service providers were forced by the government to block foreign websites unless users had the certificate installed on their devices.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla on Friday banned the certificate in their respective browsers, ZDNet reported. That means Safari, Chrome, Edge, and Firefox have all been patched, preventing the use of the certificate to perform main-in-the-middle attacks intercepting user data.

As justification for the certificate, Kazakh officials said they were carrying out cybersecurity training in response to a spike in cyberattacks during the coronavirus pandemic.

The move by the browser makers comes more than a year after they all blocked a similar government-mandated certificate in August 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    What will Borat think of this being done to his Glorious Kazakhstan?
    JWSCPetrolDavedewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6

I am sure he will be just fine 
    bonobobPetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ne1ne1 Posts: 69member
    Great, Apple. Now do the same thing for China. 
    PetrolDave
  • Reply 4 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Funny that the only reference most people know about the eighth largest country in the world is an outlandish fake comedy character.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    crowley said:
    Funny that the only reference most people know about the eighth largest country in the world is an outlandish fake comedy character.
    Thank you so much, Ebenezer Scrooge, for your positive thinking.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    Thank you so much, Ebenezer Scrooge, for your positive thinking.
    Huh?  I said it was funny.  I wasn't criticising anyone.  I know sod all about Kazakhstan either.
    muthuk_vanalingam