Limitations in HomeKit Secure Video plus Eve's macOS app on HomeKit Insider Podcast

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Testing the new Logitech Circle doorbell camera in the real world has turned up some interesting shortcomings in HomeKit Secure Video. Plus Eve's macOS app is out, while the iOS 14.4 beta brings U1 benefits to HomePod mini, all on the HomeKit Insider podcast.

HomeKit Insider: a new AppleInsider podcast
HomeKit Insider: A new AppleInsider podcast

The primary topic for this podcast episode surrounds the recent release of the Logitech Circle View Wired Video Doorbell -- and what it tells us about HomeKit Secure Video.

Andrew details the many benefits of this new smart home accessory. That includes the basic specs, plus exactly how well the installation process goes, and just how the doorbell works in real life.

However, it's that testing which raises bigger issues over Apple's HomeKit Secure Video. While it is a great feature to have, it isn't ready for your front door. It falls short in a surprising number of ways, and we walk through all of them so you can make a more informed choice about whether to use it or not.

Of course, we round out the show with a sampling of user questions as well.

SwitchBot Promo Codes

Coupon Code: APPLEINSIDER10
  • 10 USD Off All Products

• Valid from 00:00 EST, Sunday, Nov 22 to 23:59 EST, Thursday, Dec 31, 2020

• Shop here

Links from the show

Stay tuned for more!

Send your feedback to Stephen and Andrew via email or ask as us questions on Twitter @StephenRobles and @Andrew_OSU.

Please also leave a rating or review us on Apple Podcasts to help us improve the show as we move forward.

Those looking to sponsor the HomeKit Insider show can reach out to [email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Two requests:

Please make the full text of the podcasts available. Many of us don’t want or have time to sit through a 43 minute podcast. 

Stop using Google AMP. It’s both unnecessary to “accelerate” pages in exchange for our privacy. 
    tokyojimularryjwapplguyj2fusionJosephAU
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Agree with Flydog.  Would prefer at least a transcription summary of the Logitech Circle issues with SecureVideo.  
    tokyojimuapplguyJosephAUsailorpaul
  • Reply 3 of 8
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    flydog said:
    Two requests:

Please make the full text of the podcasts available. Many of us don’t want or have time to sit through a 43 minute podcast. 

Stop using Google AMP. It’s both unnecessary to “accelerate” pages in exchange for our privacy. 
    I haven't and won't watch this video. I would take the 20-30 seconds to read through a transcript, over 40 minutes to slog through a podcast.
    applguyJosephAUsailorpaul
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Same here.  It’s much quicker to review a transcript than watch a video. Also, the imbedded links have better context.  
    edited December 2020 JosephAUsailorpaul
  • Reply 5 of 8
    flydog said:
    Two requests:

I second the request to stop using AMP. 
    JosephAUsailorpaul
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I agree on the transcript. If Apple Insider wants  me to watch a 40 minute video, my labor rate is $450 for that time.

Or, in a fit of pique, how about I order the Logitech Circle View Doorbell using a link from SOMEONE ELSE to check it out?

And that is especially ironic because I’ve been waiting for this information for a long time.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 7 of 8
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I am with them - I want transcripts. I am deaf so podcasts won't work for me. There are quite several tools that automatically convert speech to text and you can fix any errors afterwards which is usually around 1% and then post the transcript. 

A list of software that you should look over - it's not just for the deaf/HOH but also  making your podcasts accessible with search engines efficiently. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-speech-to-text-app
  • Reply 8 of 8
    +1 for transcript. I'm curious about the HomeKit Secure Video limitations but not enough to burn off 40 minutes of my day.