Apple reportedly pushing for follow-up to Mariah Carey's Christmas Special in 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV+ exclusive "Mariah Carey's Magical Christmas Special" is said to be getting a sequel with a much larger budget, after hitting number one on the charts in over 100 countries.

Mariah Carey's Christmas Special was a big hit
Mariah Carey's Christmas Special was a big hit

The Mariah Carey Christmas Special launched on Apple TV+ on December 4 as an exclusive paid for and produced by Apple. This was not Mariah Carey's first Christmas special, but it was one of her biggest.

It features performances by multiple stars including Ariana Grande, Snoop Dogg, and Jennifer Hudson with special appearances from The Peanuts and Tiffany Haddish. The narrative was simple -- Santa Claus needed some help cheering up the world during an especially difficult year, and Mariah Carey was the best person for the job.

According to The Sun, the show cost more than $4.9 million to make, and next time Apple will budget even more because of the special's popularity. After hitting number one in over 100 countries, Apple knew that a follow-up was in order.

"Bosses at Apple now want to secure her for another special show next year," sources told The Sun."Mariah's team are, of course, completely behind it, and everyone is going to do what they can to make it happen."

"They spent over [GBP] 4 million on this year's show but next year this could go even higher," the source continued. "Apple know the worth of Mariah and are willing to splash the cash to make a follow-up even bigger and better."

If the rumors are true, expect a new Mariah Carey Christmas special in the winter of 2021 with an even bigger cast and more special effects, exclusive to Apple TV+.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I was hoping they were going to follow up with another New Year’s Eve meltdown.  :D
    radioflyerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Is there a way to hide this on the TV app? I never wanted to watch this and I never will. I would like it if her huge face didn’t always pop up when I open TV. Probably just me, since there’s a “follow-up” 🙄.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Is there a way to hide this on the TV app? I never wanted to watch this and I never will. I would like it if her huge face didn’t always pop up when I open TV. Probably just me, since there’s a “follow-up” 🙄.
    Good idea. I would like an option in the TV app (or in iTunes) to raise or lower the priority in ads for any shows that contain a certain person. E.g., 

celebrity_promotion=["Charlton Heston", +10]
    celebrity_promotion=["Arnold Schwarzenegger", +5] celebrity_promotion=["Bill Cosby", -10]
    celebrity_promotion=["Sean Penn", -5]
    Why would Apple not want us to promote and see icons or promos for shows that we actually want to purchase? But Apple isn't known for customizability: look how long it took them to release the Shortcuts app for iOS. Ten+ years?

razorpit
  • Reply 4 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    You have to admit, it is the mark of a true Diva that Mariah can relegate the likes of Ariana Grande and Jennifer Hudson to backup singer status in a single song.

yes I watched it, and am still mentally scarred by the experience.
    lolliverwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Liberace once said that when reviews of his performances were bad he cried all the way to the bank. So tech blog denizens trash Mariah Carey and want to hide her image from their devices? She has more money and more fame than any of us will ever have in our life times. Nuff said.

And just like the constant whining and crying about Apple’s supposedly overpriced gear, Apple cries all the way to the bank too.

edited December 2020 watto_cobraspock1234dewme
  • Reply 6 of 11
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    I saw this on my Apple TV, and promptly skipped it to watch “Wolfwalkers”, which was fantastic. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Liberace once said that when reviews of his performances were bad he cried all the way to the bank. So tech blog denizens trash Mariah Carey and want to hide her image from their devices? She has more money and more fame than any of us will ever have in our life times. Nuff said.

And just like the constant whining and crying about Apple’s supposedly overpriced gear, Apple cries all the way to the bank too.

Spot on and well said. 
    watto_cobradewmeOfer
  • Reply 8 of 11
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    entropys said:
    You have to admit, it is the mark of a true Diva that Mariah can relegate the likes of Ariana Grande and Jennifer Hudson to backup singer status in a single song.

yes I watched it, and am still mentally scarred by the experience.
    Have to take your word on that. Don't know who those other two singers are.

lkrupp said:

The commenting isn't how much money she has, it's how annoying she is.

She also has more custom silicon in her than the current Mac line-up. Should we feel inferior for that as well?  :D
    watto_cobramobirdbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:

Mariah and Apple aren't making any money out of the people asking for functionality to hide shows like hers that they don't want to see; how are celebrities' bank balances relevant?

Why so salty?  I don't have anything against Mariah Carey or the show, but it's a perfectly reasonable ask.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Apple threw a bunch of money at a has-been performer that just lip syncs her way into trying to be relevant.

I would love to hide all of Apple's forced advertising on all of their devices and other websites.  Apple, privacy, and ad-tracking...yet Apple forces you to view all their ads in the Music app, TV app, and many websites.  On the IMDB app while looking up movie information, the AppleTV+ ad was on every single page link and could not be dismissed or hidden.  
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I watch the airport where I felt like I needed a little more Christmas cheer because I’ve been alone.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
    I think it’ll be a classic.
    dewmebyronl