HomePod mini works with 18W power supplies after 14.3 software update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Thanks to the HomePod version 14.3 update, Apple's new HomePod mini now supports 18W power adapters or battery packs

HomePod mini will now work with 18W power sources and adapters
HomePod mini will now work with 18W power sources and adapters

The HomePod mini ships with a 20W power adapter and originally required at least 20W to function. An update reduces this limit to 18W, which enables a wider range of adapters and battery packs to work.

The 8-Bit reports that Reddit users discovered the change when testing different power adapters. Apple did not disclose the change in the update notes, but if you use a certified 18W USB-C PD power supply or one offering a greater wattage, you'll be able to run your HomePod mini without issue.

As AppleInsider previously covered, you can even connect your HomePod mini to a battery pack to create a portable AirPlay 2 speaker. As long as you have a proper WiFi signal for the HomePod mini to connect through, all functions should work as normal, even under battery power.

The update doesn't affect the power of the original HomePod, as that model requires a direct connection to a power outlet via a plug, rather than a power adapter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    But the HomePod Mini (I got one for Christmas) comes with a 20W power adapter so...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That's cool that Apple was able to do this with a software update.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    crowley said:
    Agreed - I was reading in another (MagSafe duo?) thread about USB power profiles; the way I understand it is newer USB power supplies offer a different range of voltage and current combinations, so 18 watts with one supply is not the same as 18 watts in another. I wonder if the HomePod mini never really needed 20w, just the 20w power profile and the firmware update simply allows it to use the 18w profile.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    Agreed - I was reading in another (MagSafe duo?) thread about USB power profiles; the way I understand it is newer USB power supplies offer a different range of voltage and current combinations, so 18 watts with one supply is not the same as 18 watts in another. I wonder if the HomePod mini never really needed 20w, just the 20w power profile and the firmware update simply allows it to use the 18w profile.
    Well...  Watts (or power) is simply volts * current.  18 amps at 1 volt or 1 amp at 18 volts both equal 18 watts.  My understanding of the USB spec is that +5V is available (at different current ratings depending on the USB variant).  18 Watts at 5 Volts would be 3.6 amps.  Perhaps they wanted 20 watts to account for cable losses at higher currents.

As for the power requirement of the HomePod mini...  somebody would need to actually measure the current draw in a worst case scenario (likely maximum volume - probably with a lot of bass).  That said, what it requires is probably not 18 watts continuous.  It might not sound like much, but 18 watts without good heat dissipation adds up quickly and electronics do not like heat.  Those little 5 watt night light bulbs get wicked hot, and they are in a free air environment.
    zroger73razorpit
  • Reply 5 of 11
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    Well...  Watts (or power) is simply volts * current.  18 amps at 1 volt or 1 amp at 18 volts both equal 18 watts.  My understanding of the USB spec is that +5V is available (at different current ratings depending on the USB variant).  18 Watts at 5 Volts would be 3.6 amps.  Perhaps they wanted 20 watts to account for cable losses at higher currents.

As for the power requirement of the HomePod mini...  somebody would need to actually measure the current draw in a worst case scenario (likely maximum volume - probably with a lot of bass).  That said, what it requires is probably not 18 watts continuous.  It might not sound like much, but 18 watts without good heat dissipation adds up quickly and electronics do not like heat.  Those little 5 watt night light bulbs get wicked hot, and they are in a free air environment.
    Well, yes, watts is simply volts * current, there are different combinations and not all power supplies are capable of all the different combinations. The original USB Spec was for 5V; you're not going to run 20 amps through a USB cable to charge your laptop at 100 watts. 

USB Power delivery specifies profiles different voltages (5, 9, 15 or 20V) and different currents ranging from 0.5 - 20A. The  voltage is actually negotiated between the device and the supply. If the HomePod wasn't designed to work with an older version, it may not have been able to negotiate an appropriate voltage/current combination.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:

Well, yes, watts is simply volts * current, there are different combinations and not all power supplies are capable of all the different combinations. The original USB Spec was for 5V; you're not going to run 20 amps through a USB cable to charge your laptop at 100 watts. 

USB Power delivery specifies profiles different voltages (5, 9, 15 or 20V) and different currents ranging from 0.5 - 20A. The  voltage is actually negotiated between the device and the supply. If the HomePod wasn't designed to work with an older version, it may not have been able to negotiate an appropriate voltage/current combination.
    I do not claim immense knowledge of the USB spec...  The +5V is about all I was aware of (probably going back to the original 1.0 spec).  I have never designed anything remotely USB.

Two of your statements are a bit contradictory though:
    - "The original USB Spec was for 5V; you're not going to run 20 amps through a USB cable to charge your laptop at 100 watts."
    - "
    USB Power delivery specifies profiles different voltages (5, 9, 15 or 20V) and different currents ranging from 0.5 - 20A."

The first statement says you are not going to run 20 Amps through a USB cable while the second statement says you can.
    Please clarify.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:

I do not claim immense knowledge of the USB spec...  The +5V is about all I was aware of (probably going back to the original 1.0 spec).  I have never designed anything remotely USB.

- "The original USB Spec was for 5V; you're not going to run 20 amps through a USB cable to charge your laptop at 100 watts."
    - "USB Power delivery specifies profiles different voltages (5, 9, 15 or 20V) and different currents ranging from 0.5 - 20A."

The first statement says you are not going to run 20 Amps through a USB cable while the second statement says you can.
    Please clarify.
    I wasn't aware of the varying current/voltages until recently, either. 

Regarding the current, I misspoke (mistyped) - the currents range from 0.5-5A, not 20A. 

Here's a link with more detail if you're so inclined: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/265832/how-does-usb-power-delivery-work-with-voltages-above-5v-without-damaging-5v-peri
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I use to be able to use my HomePod mini to stream white noise while I sleep but after 14.3, the looped track will stop after ~4 hours. Frustrating 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    KodsKods Posts: 2member
    You need USB-C port that capable to supply 9V and at least 2A. The typical USB A is designed for 5V. Whether it is a power adapter or a power bank, the HomePod mini can work as long as USB-C supply 9V, that's what this guy proves on this video. I think its genuine and he even tries with 18W power bank and Mini is working without any issue. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    KodsKods Posts: 2member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:

- "USB Power delivery specifies profiles different voltages (5, 9, 15 or 20V) and different currents ranging from 0.5 - 20A."

Please clarify.
    I wasn't aware of the varying current/voltages until recently, either. 

Regarding the current, I misspoke (mistyped) - the currents range from 0.5-5A, not 20A. 

Here's a link with more detail if you're so inclined: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/265832/how-does-usb-power-delivery-work-with-voltages-above-5v-without-damaging-5v-peri

Not the current, the voltage should be at least 9V for HomePod mini.

• Reply 11 of 11
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 399member
    lkrupp said:
    But the HomePod Mini (I got one for Christmas) comes with a 20W power adapter so...
    ...Now I can plug my HomePod mini into the USB-C PD equipped wall outlets I have placed around the house, avoiding the unsightly white brick.
    edited January 2021