New Favicon Poll (will add more as they're submitted)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Twice!

I am feeling quite inept at the moment
  • Reply 62 of 88
    Here is my suggestion for the icons:

We use the bee above the Ai that mandolux created for the main AI page and forum front page as well as other general pages.

But for each forum there could be a different porthole icon perhaps with a piece of hardware/software or whatever that defines that forum's topics. Of course this means someone has to make more icons!

So: that would mean 9 different porthole icons... anyone want to give it a try?
  • Reply 63 of 88
    okay. I'll try it.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by /mandolux/

okay. I'll try it.

*in my best Monty Burns voice*

Excellent
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

But for each forum there could be a different porthole icon perhaps with a piece of hardware/software or whatever that defines that forum's topics. Of course this means someone has to make more icons!

So: that would mean 9 different porthole icons... anyone want to give it a try?

Not gonna happen.

vB could do that, but I'd have to go and make entire separate sets of templates for every single forum. Then there's the upkeep on all of those, having to change code in a dozen places rather than one each time I need to update or modify something. Believe me when I say that that is way more trouble than it's worth.

Not a bad idea, though. It's just not feasible.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Not gonna happen.

Yes, I see what you mean. I didn't realise it would take a big rigamarole to carry out the suggestion.... shame though.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    And anyway, the current graphic look of the forums is already really, really sweet. Kudos to all involved in the look.

My own personal thought is that the Killer Bee reference is so obscure and dated as to be graphically inapplicable to AI and its future. As a historical reference it's cool, but there have been so MANY little "inside" things that have happened here since AI's been in business that picking one incident (however well publicized) seems to pin the place to one "glory" moment.

BUT, that's just my own personal opinion!

• Reply 68 of 88
    ...maybe I should make a 'Dorsal' favicon.

• Reply 69 of 88
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by /mandolux/

...maybe I should make a 'Dorsal' favicon.

Most definitely.
  • Reply 70 of 88
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

My own personal thought is that the Killer Bee reference is so obscure and dated as to be graphically inapplicable to AI and its future.

WORKER Bee. Not Killer.
  • Reply 71 of 88
  • Reply 72 of 88
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sheesh, guess the bee was a bit more obscure than i thought.

figured every long time member at AI knew who workerbee was.

:P
  • Reply 73 of 88
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I liked the Bee though because that's how it was. Some people might not get it, it's be like that Mercury Rising ( deal that I just heard the whole story about not that long ago, or like d, which.. I still... don't get . The Bee is obscure, and that's cool.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Sorry, meant to say Worker....I was talking on the phone when I was finishing that post, got distracted. Lucky I didn't start typing phone dialogue I guess. No excuse for me, I've been a member since Jan '99, that stat got wiped with the great blackout.

Anyway, obscure is okay I guess....I just prefer a cleaner look. If it's timeless then you're not living off of past glories...there goes that speech again...put a cap on that fast.

Wouldn't it be cool if favicons could be animated GIFs? Imagine the havoc THAT would create in people's browsers! They we could just put every freaking one of these icons in the GIF and let fly~
  • Reply 75 of 88
    hey, i whipped up that bee in a draw program in about 5 min. i'm not exactly emotionally attached to it.

if someone would like to make a better bee, i'm all for it.

however, one suggestion i would make is that favicons (IMO) need to be clean, and obvious. if it's a bee, 99 out of 100 people should look and know it's a bee. and i'm a fan of cartoony over real, but that's just me.

in any case, a good, clean icon that everyone can look at and know what it is would be great.

if nothing else, we can just have a sticky thread someone titled "Why the hell is a favicon a bee anyway?"

if nothing else it would be a great intro into the history of AI for the newbies.

• Reply 76 of 88
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Again, Like the shirts I like all the designs.

Just a question where did the bee come from? I mean the idea, whats the relevance(sp?) with Appleinsider
  • Reply 77 of 88
    the bee is in reference to a high point at AI, when we had hardcore insider information.

a worker at Apple was posting here at the time under the name "worker bee".

he posted all sorts of info about he cube, powerbooks etc.

eventually he got arrested, and AI made cnn and a few other news sites as the source of this leak.

for every person who's ever posted here saying they have insider info, he's the only one that was CONFIRMED:

'course, his confirmation came as a jail sentence.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    and most good orchards grow better with the buzz of pollinating pals

some farmers even rent out hives of the little helpers to increase yield

imagine if Apple acknowledged the contribution of little insects like that

at least we're not wasps
  • Reply 79 of 88
    ...porthole galore:

Apple ()

Finder ()

Future ()

Xserve ()

iSync ()