Apple supplier Foxconn investing in & assembling electric vehicle for China startup

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 5
Apple supplier Foxconn has inked a deal with Chinese electric vehicle startup Byton to bring the latter company's first car to production in 2022.

Credit: Byton
Credit: Byton


Foxconn plans to invest $200 million in the venture, Bloomberg reported. Both companies plan to start mass production of the Byton M-Byte electric SUV by the first quarter of 2022.

The deal could aid the embattled Byton, which recently missed a promised deadline to release the M-Byte to Chinese consumers in 2020. But the partnership also suggests a major bet by Foxconn on the electric vehicle market.

That's significant because the Taiwanese contract manufacturer is Apple's single largest supply chain partner. Foxconn is known for producing the iPhone and other products for the Cupertino tech giant, which is also said to be eyeing the electric car market.

Rumors of an "Apple Car" or some type of autonomous vehicle system stretch back to 2014. Since then, Apple has continued its development of car technology under the internal moniker of Project Titan, and recent reports indicate that Apple's vehicle work may come to fruition in the 2020s.

A report from December 2020 indicated that Apple is planning on producing its own electric vehicle with "next level" battery technology in 2024. Before that, Apple was said to be working with chipmaker TSMC on autonomous vehicle silicon.

Although it still isn't clear if Apple will release a production vehicle or enter the car market in another fashion, analysts have said that Apple may already have the "key ingredients" to disrupt the auto market and deliver a "seamless user experience."

Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has forecast that the "Apple Car" could arrive in 2025, but isn't likely to debut before then.

Although the Foxconn partnership with Byton isn't directly connected to Apple's car plans, it does reveal an increasing interest in EVs among traditional electronics companies.

As of yet, Foxconn hasn't been explicitly named in any rumors related to "Apple Car." Past reports have suggested that Apple may be interested in tapping traditional auto industry contract manufacturers like Magna International.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,350member
    If Foxconn truly has a factory capable of building automobiles of reasonable quality, I could actually see Apple possibly being involved enough to have a car built.  Like many Apple products, there’d be just enough Appleness to it to make it special and the rest wouldn’t be any different.  Fantastic quality and premium features.

    And it would be 50% more expensive than the nearest mediocre competitor.  
    gregoriusmflyingdpwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Chinese companies shouldn’t even bother naming their products in English. They’re absolutely terrible at it. “Byton”? GTFOH.
    ivanhlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Byton Apple ...
    gregoriusmrepressthislkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 1,683member
    Please please tell me they are planning a small hatchback called the m-nibble and a 2wheeler the m-bit?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    First car will be the Joe Byton.
    ivanhgregoriusmrazorpitlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    First car will be the Joe Byton.
    Hunter Byton? Jim Byton? CNN Byton, WSJ Byton, Washington (Post) Byton......
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Definitely not inspired by the Range Rover Evoque. /s

    Nothing quite says “we have no trust in our own ideas” like mimicking the styling of another company’s product. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 10,681member
    ivanh said:
    First car will be the Joe Byton.
    Hunter Byton? Jim Byton? CNN Byton, WSJ Byton, Washington (Post) Byton......

    Ahhhh!
    The haters don't discriminate.   They hate China.  They hate our president.   They hate themselves.

    Hopefully they do not hijack what could be an interesting discussion to (once again) push their political agenda.
    edited January 5
  • Reply 9 of 10
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 787member
    eriamjh said:
    If Foxconn truly has a factory capable of building automobiles of reasonable quality, I could actually see Apple possibly being involved enough to have a car built.  Like many Apple products, there’d be just enough Appleness to it to make it special and the rest wouldn’t be any different.  Fantastic quality and premium features.

    And it would be 50% more expensive than the nearest mediocre competitor.  
    If Foxconn truly has a factory capable of this, I am sure Apple has invested a rather large sum in it's development and will likely have exclusive rights for use for a very long time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 9,080member
    JinTech said:
    eriamjh said:
    If Foxconn truly has a factory capable of building automobiles of reasonable quality, I could actually see Apple possibly being involved enough to have a car built.  Like many Apple products, there’d be just enough Appleness to it to make it special and the rest wouldn’t be any different.  Fantastic quality and premium features.

    And it would be 50% more expensive than the nearest mediocre competitor.  
    If Foxconn truly has a factory capable of this, I am sure Apple has invested a rather large sum in it's development and will likely have exclusive rights for use for a very long time.
    Where do you think they're assemling the M-Byte then, in the parking lot?
Sign In or Register to comment.