Journalist and educator Monica Lozano joins Apple's board of directors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
After a long search by Apple, businesswoman and media editor Monica Lozano has joined the company's board of directors.

Monica Lozano
Monica Lozano

Monica Lozano, who continues as president and CEO of College Futures Foundation, has joined Apple's board of directors. Lozano previously spent 30 years editing the US Spanish-language magazine La Opinion, raising awareness over issues from infant mortality to AIDS.

"Monica has been a true leader and trailblazer in business, media, and an ever-widening circle of philanthropic efforts to realize a more equitable future -- in our schools and in the lives of all people," said Apple's Tim Cook in a statement. "Her values and breadth of experience will help Apple continue to grow, to innovate, and to be a force for good in the lives of our teams, customers, and communities."

"I've always admired Apple's commitment to the notion that technology, at its best, should empower all people to improve their lives and build a better world," said Lozano. "I look forward to working with Tim, Art[ur Levinson], and the other board members to help Apple carry those values forward and build on a rich and productive history."

Current chairman of Apple's board, Arthur Levinson, also welcomed Lozano to the organization. "Monica has been a pioneer in every organization fortunate enough to benefit from her vision and expertise," he said.

"After a thorough and fruitful search, I couldn't be more confident in the positive impact Monica will have on our board and Apple as a whole," he continued.

Lozano has previously been chair of both the University of California Board of Regents, and the board of directors of the Weingart Foundation. She has also previously been on the board of The Walt Disney Company.

The addition of Lozano comes after several years in which Tim Cook has reportedly been "actively seeking" new directors from outside Apple's technology focus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Is Al (I invented the internet) Gore still on the board? Why yes, I believe he is.
    sdw2001
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Is Al (I invented the internet) Gore still on the board? Why yes, I believe he is.
    I’ll just leave this here. 

But a spirited defense of Gore’s statement penned by Internet pioneers Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf (the latter often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) in 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”

Andy.Hardwakepumpkin_kingronnOfer
  • Reply 3 of 12
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    Careful Rayz. The Salty-Old-Men-Yelling-At-Clouds contingent of AI's regulars will come at you with both barrels for daring to disrupt their narrative. 
    Oferwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:

But a spirited defense of Gore’s statement penned by Internet pioneers Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf (the latter often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) in 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”

He said "I pioneered the Internet."   Direct quote.  And Snopes has a leftward bias.  
    razorpitSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    "Journalist" and "Educator."  Give me a break.  She edited a journal called "La Opinion."  You can't make this stuff up.  And an educator?  Why, because she served on the Board of Regents and at Disney?  She's a social justice/progressive advocate who, according to Tim Cook, fights for a "more equitable future."   What a load of garbage.  Apple isn't thinking about a more "equitable" future when they are making phones in Chinese factory-cities, selling them for $1000.  Or when they are selling $10,000+ Mac Pros.  Or just about any other premium product.  They are the world's most valuable company by market cap.  They didn't get that way with their progressive PR bullshit.  
    razorpitSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    neoncat said:
    Careful Rayz. The Salty-Old-Men-Yelling-At-Clouds contingent of AI's regulars will come at you with both barrels for daring to disrupt their narrative. 
    Yes, goodnesses gracious someone bring up Gore's idiocracy.

Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:

There's a difference between actually doing the work to design and build the internet and being in congress while that work is being done. As someone once said "Eh, eh, eh, you didn't build that."

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    sdw2001 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:

He said "I pioneered the Internet."   Direct quote.  And Snopes has a leftward bias.  
    And in that snopes link he says literally says he created it. Always cracks me up on what words/definitions progressives choose to fight their battles over.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sdw2001 said:
    "Journalist" and "Educator."  Give me a break.  She edited a journal called "La Opinion."  You can't make this stuff up.  And an educator?  Why, because she served on the Board of Regents and at Disney?  She's a social justice/progressive advocate who, according to Tim Cook, fights for a "more equitable future."   What a load of garbage.  Apple isn't thinking about a more "equitable" future when they are making phones in Chinese factory-cities, selling them for $1000.  Or when they are selling $10,000+ Mac Pros.  Or just about any other premium product.  They are the world's most valuable company by market cap.  They didn't get that way with their progressive PR bullshit.  
    That is literally exactly what they did. They got that way, along with their progressive PR. Bet that hurts, doesn't it?

What a triggered whiner. You're having a really bad month, aren't you?
    edited January 2021 ronnOfer
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Apple, values first! That promises a good future for the company
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    Why is this so triggering for certain people?  :p

God forbid Tim oversees the inclusion of a muslim Board member.
    OferJustSomeGuy1
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    sdw2001 said:
    I'm not sure where the Educator part in the title comes from. She was at College Futures Foundation, a group that promoted education and student issues, but otherwise that term seems inaccurate. As does your complaint about Disney.

I'm not sure how you can object to the term Journalist. She worked at several newspapers before becoming the editor and then publisher of "La Opinión", the largest Spanish language paper in the US.

sdw2001 said:
    Leftward bias = facts and evidence? Rightward bias = feels and prayers? I guess…
    JustSomeGuy1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sdw2001 said:
    No matter what you say, I always have a smile on my face when I see your posts because of Captain James T. Kirk screaming "Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!"
    watto_cobrabikerdude