Nomad developing accessories for Apple 'AirTags' [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Accessory makers like Nomad are starting to prepare for the launch of Apple's long-rumored "AirTags," as evidenced by the leak of two concept products designed for the tracking device.

Credit: Evan Blass

"AirTags" are expected to be small tracking accessories that users can attach to items like bags or glasses. Though most rumors indicate that they'll use Ultra Wideband and augmented reality for item locating, their price, release date, and final design are still unclear.

That lack of clarity hasn't stopped Nomad from preparing for an eventual launch. Serial leaker Evan Blass on Thursday released two leaked concept renders of potential Nomad accessories for "AirTags."

One of those accessories is a small leather keychain designed to hold an "AirTag" and provide an attachment point. Another accessory is a strap for a pair of glasses that also features a tensioner that doubles as an "AirTag" holder.

Blass notes that because these accessories are on Nomad's 2021 roadmap, the company expects them to debut during the year.

Apple doesn't typically provide specifications or information to accessory makers, so product renders like these are based on rumors. That's evident in the fact that the leather keychain appears to be designed to house a square tracking tag, while the glasses strap has a circular housing.

"AirTags" are rumored to work like products such as Tile, but will feature deeper integration with Apple's ecosystem. They're likely to feature UWB capabilities and AR overlays for pinpoint location tracking indoors. Code found within versions of iOS suggest that they'll integrate with the Find My app.

TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently forecast that "AirTags" would debut sometime in 2021, though he did not provide any more specific date.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2021 all-digital Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 11 through January 14 where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Update, Jan. 25, 2021: Spigen accidentally posted a keychain style "AirTags" case to its Amazon page on Monday. Spigen's sister brand, Cryrill, has also posted a preorder page for a similar "AirTags" accessory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I will never buy from Nomad again. I bought a case for my iPhone 12 mini which was further discounted before it shipped a couple days later,. They refused to credit me the difference between my purchase price and the lower sale price. They told me to wait for it to arrive, pay to return it, hope they still had stock and hope the sale was still going on to purchase a new one (obviously the sake would be over). Just kind of gross customer service.

Also, their wireless charging pads are a disaster with the iPhone 12 series in my experience. They won’t charge past 80% (no, it not the battery optimization feature). Nomad worked on a software update, but it didn’t consistently fix the problem. Now I hear they’re blaming Apple. 

Never again.
    Japheykurai_kage